Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

17x11 ZR1's on all 4 corners?...advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
Or I could just use street tires and concern myself with my driving

I don't like to switch parts or trailer cars for track use. I think there's more to be said for a car that you can drive to the track, race it, be competitive and fast, and drive it home without any changes except maybe air pressure or suspension stiffness.
You'll tear up street tires pretty quick in a heavy f-body. Check out a few autox's and you will see very few people running a street tire, unless the class restricts them to do so. You would be handicapping yourself in a major way, irregardless of your driving ability. If your fast on street tires, you'd be really fast on race rubber. That and once you feel the difference in grip between a 315 V710 or A6 you'll never go back.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Point made...

So you guys think that 17x9.5 all around with R-comps is a better bet? I haven't purchased anything yet...
Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Launching!

So you guys think that 17x9.5 all around with R-comps is a better bet? I haven't purchased anything yet...
Better from what perspective? They will definitely fit in the rear of the car for transporting to and from the event, with the rear seat in and folded down. They'll fit with no mods and they will be cheaper.

My first autox 4 years ago was on an old set of worn out street tires and it was fun. The following season I picked up a set of 17x9.5 wheels with used Toyo RA-1s mounted on them and they were better than the street tires, but aren't really an autox tire. Last year I finally stepped up to 17x11 with some well used V710's and that was a huge step up in grip. This season I'll be on my first brand new set of V710's or A6's and can't wait to see the level of grip they offer.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or I could just use street tires and concern myself with my driving

I don't like to switch parts or trailer cars for track use. I think there's more to be said for a car that you can drive to the track, race it, be competitive and fast, and drive it home without any changes except maybe air pressure or suspension stiffness.
I'm with you here. I don't even change suspension settings. I like the idea that my car is every bit as fast on the street as it is at the track. The three tracks I race at are all 1.6-2 mile courses, though, I don't parking lot autocross anymore (really tough to be competitive on street tires). The group I run with have street tire classes. If you get bumped into modded classes w street rubber, everyone else has slicks. Run street tire though and the playing field is much more level (because it is a huge limiting factor). I have no doubt I would dump several seconds in lap times w race rubber, but I race to have an outlet to drive my fast street car. The beautiful thing about street tire classes is I can run just for kicks, but still be successful.

I'd say even if you don't have similar street tire classing in your area, run for fun, the way you want.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

This will be my 2nd year of autocross...last year was with my BMW and I was very successful as a novice. I also want to look into running some road courses but it probably won't be for another year or two.

Part of me says - do it once, do it right (17x11s). The other side of me wants to explore other options like R-comps, etc. I'm torn right now and will rely on more info that I'll try to dig up to help with that.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
They will definitely fit in the rear of the car for transporting to and from the event, with the rear seat in and folded down. They'll fit with no mods and they will be cheaper.
I'm not sure that I could fit everything inside the car with the convertible...I lose the storage space in the hatch/trunk area. The rear seats are completely out of the car...I'd have to do a lot of measuring but I'd still rather "run what ya brung."
Old 02-12-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I just found this picture. That is my friend Casey Quinn, he races his 98 SS in SM (#55 in Street Modified) in autocross. Those are 315 all around btw. From what I recall he modified his front fender mount and rolled the rear fender lip, to be legal in SM.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Launching!

I'm not sure that I could fit everything inside the car with the convertible...I lose the storage space in the hatch/trunk area. The rear seats are completely out of the car...I'd have to do a lot of measuring but I'd still rather "run what ya brung."
I kinda forgot to take that into consideration.....I'd probably stick to a street tire then. I was thinking along the lines of the car evolving, but a convertible F-body isn't going to be a great platform to build on. Get some 17x11's and put a good street tire on and have fun.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
I was thinking along the lines of the car evolving, but a convertible F-body isn't going to be a great platform to build on.
I understand your view but I disagree and welcome the challenge.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're dead set on street tires, at least get them shaved. They'll actually last longer. The car will just destroy a full tread street tire in short order (especially with an inexperienced driver).

Knowing what street tires are like to drive in this sport... if I were you, I'd really, really consider a small Harbor Freight utility trailer to tow a set of cheaper, longer lasting, lesser performance R comps (Victoracers come to mind) and tools to the events. The utility trailer deal is an extremely common thing to do even over great distances.

To each his own however.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look at the Nitto NT-01 R Compounds, they actually arent bad on the street.. Just depends how many miles of street driving you plan to do. I run 275/315
Old 02-23-2009, 05:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

All r-comps are not the same, some are faster some are slower. That's the first thing to realize.

Street tires are not as fast as R-comps. Whoever said that a 275 R is better than a 315 street (even a killer one) is right on they money.

Fit: Ironhead summed it up best, and he should know as he's been through all this. YMMV, and what Joe does might not work for Billy. Hell even changing tire brands in the same size could cause a change to offset/spacers.

PHB. The person asking this questions has a Hotchkis PHB which is urethane bushed and not nearly good enough to deal with 11" wheels and R-comps as there will be way too much deflection. At minimum he needs to step up to a race PHB with double rod-ends. And if you look closely at the pic of the red Camaro you see the LR tire tucked but the RR stuck out more. This is due to the inherent arc that a PHB moves in. Change to Watts link and you won't want as much offset/spacer because the tire will start to run the fender since you don't have that lateral motion.

I run 40mm offset wheels currently. No spacer on front, but I still run about 5mm on the rear, effectively making them about 35mm. But I can tell you those spacers are mostly likely gone when the Watts is put.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

that doesnt mean **** if anything breaks, you get into an accident, or you overheat your brakes on a track day and lose them completely on the ride home. also, say goodbye to your power steering pump after ONE or TWO autoxs. moreso with slicks. autox/road racing probably puts more stress on cars then drag racing does, espeically with slicks.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
that doesnt mean **** if anything breaks, you get into an accident, or you overheat your brakes on a track day and lose them completely on the ride home. also, say goodbye to your power steering pump after ONE or TWO autoxs. moreso with slicks. autox/road racing probably puts more stress on cars then drag racing does, espeically with slicks.
I see where you're coming from, and I agree that all of that needs to be addressed ahead of time.

As I've said before, I welcome the challenge that that brings me.

Quick Reply: 17x11 ZR1's on all 4 corners?...advice needed