Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

CMC racing - Hallett MRC highlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default CMC racing - Hallett MRC highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXyhPrzpi4E

Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs from the Texas, Rocky Mountain and Great Lakes regions all converged on HMRC outside of Tulsa for a great weekend of wheel to wheel racing.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn fine action. I wish we had more NASA action here in LA. That's the one downfall to GCRS racing - not a lot of equal cars. We tend to get strung out and have very few battles. Usually only the top 4 guys are battling.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Stuff.....
Old 07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

AWESOME!

Still would like to get into some track racing in the near future, it looks like so much fun!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mitch you are so smooth it almost looks like your out for a Sunday drive
Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Damn ... I'm floored. Thanks for the compliment ...

The camera is a GoProHero Wide and cars are VERY close ...

We race close and have very little contact.

At 1:35, that was a stupid move on my part. But that guy is a PITA to get around. When I saw him put 2 wheels off, I just went for it. It was a low percentage move and not typical of the group.

That "tap" resulted in a little scuff mark on my nose and his cover. I submitted the proper body contact paperwork and It'll buff ...

If you watch at 5:40, if I had side mirrors, the passenger side would have hit the driver side of Steve's Camaro.

These cars are amazingly durable, able to take a lot of punishment and be dead nuts consistant.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did see you stick your nose in there I could tell leading up to that you were itching to give him a little luv tap. Yea there was no way you were pass on the inside of him, the door was closed even before you made contact, but he did get the hint

I saw that pass at 5:40 and I was sucking in my elbows at the site of it. Did you put the right side tires off? It look like he crowded you a bit, but at least he gave you 1/2 a mirror width.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As close as y'all were racing, I fully expected to see cars in a wall by 10 minutes. It looked like a Wreck Miata race - not big, loud, 'Murican V8s!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I cannot stress enough how hard we race each other ... but clean. And by clean, I mean we rarely have major contact ... rarely. When we screw up, though, we admit it and do whatever to make it right. No egos. It's a great group to race with.

When you race this close, contact occurs. But it's typically minor, minor, minor ... I've been running since 06 and haven't replaced a body panel. I have other cars' paint on mine, but no appreciable body damage.

The hardest hit I've had was following a guy really, really close through a turn and he missed a shift. I nailed him pretty hard and collapsed the plastic nose and bent the impact beam all to hell. But it was a $20 fix to replace the beam and the nose popped back into place.

I can't see Youtube at work, but the only place shown that I put a couple wheels off was racing the red 28 Camaro. After the left hander called the Stop Sign (turn 2) there is a kink back to the right. James and I went through T2 side-by-side on a number of occasions and then drag raced off.

I saw him cutting the turn close and wasn't sure if he knew I was there so I gave him plenty of room and skipped over the curb. You can hear it hit the K-Member and SFCs. But by that time, I had position ...

W2W racing is like a chess game. The cars and drivers are all extremely close in set-up and talent. The way past is to play the mind games.

When I got beside Steve in the blue Camaro at 5:40, in the preceding turn, notice how I stuck the nose in early and he reacted with a defensive move. This killed his corner entry as he skipped over the curb and went wide.

That gave me the line and the run.

His counter move was to hold me to the left as far as he could to kill MY corner entry into the next turn.

The chess game ...

Mathew, you need to build a CMC car and go racing with us. We had a guy stationed in Mississippi that came to several of our events. Houston and College station are probably 5 or 6 hours away from you. as cheap as LT1 and even LS1 cars are right now, you can easily put a competitive CMC car on track for $6-7K if you do the fab work yourself.

We bought Eddie's old T2 car and would have had it on track for a tick over $5K. But it sold to a guy in Houston wanting to go AS racing. So, we have a good driveline, with a minimalist wiring harness that uses the stock cluster. All you need is a roller with a cage and you can go racing.

I'll sell you a complete 96 driveliine less rear diff, engine and interior wiring harness, a spare long block and 3 sets of 16 Hoosiers mounted on Pontiac 5 spokes for $3500.

Don't say you can't afford it. I budget $5K a year for racing and that includes travel related expenses, fuel, tires and brakes. I typically have $1500 or more left over.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn Mitch!!!!!! go racing for 3.5k, I like the sound of that. Let me get more seat time and build up a budget, I gotta try this out!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mitch - you're killing me.

Yeah, the car is definitely affordable. In fact, I've seen a few wrecked ones that I'm pretty sure I could put together for pennies. It's not the car - it's the travel. Both the cost and the time. I don't think that my wife would want me gone 1 weekend every month over the summer (southern summer = May-September).

However, I'm sure someone over there rents CMC cars for races. Here locally, $500 buys you a seat in some good cars for a whole weekend. Arrive and drive. If/when I go to Austin to visit friends, I may see if I can do that.

You talk about chess and psych warfare - those are my shortcomings. In all honesty, I can drive pretty well. But, I just don't have the experience to play those games well. I got passed on numerous occasions this past season because someone set me up on one lap, then when I went to block that move on the next lap, he'd do something else and pass me. If I'm by myself, I'm hard to catch. But, I have a hard time passing people (because I don't know the moves) and I'm easy to pass (because I don't know the moves).

I'm trying to run a few of the slower classes this year to learn that. They have more competition, and more competitors. I ran an IT-prepped Nissan 240 in an enduro last year. We were competing against Spec Miatas and other similar IT cars. I ended up passing most of them, but it was much harder and I learned a lot.

I need you guys to teach me how it's done in CMC cars!

(BTW, you're getting me in trouble. Now I'm looking for CMC hulls to build.)
Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think its a secret, how to wear someone down.

Hang on their *** and make them worry until they open up the lane. If you cant hang on their *** then you are never going to pass anyone, patience.

Make them beat themselves....I can only assume this saves your tires and brakes

Knowing the track well is probably the biggest advantage.

Last edited by 2000Z28M6; 07-14-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Because it's Texas, the season is spread out from Feb 1 to Oct 1 this year.

Houston Feb 1
MSR-Cresson Mar 14
TWS April 18
Hallett Jun 13
TWS Aug 1
Eagle's Canyon Oct 3

So there is only one time the events are closer that 5 weeks apart.

I go all season on 6 tires at $225 each.
2 sets of front brakes at $130/set
1 set of rear brakes at $110/set
I go through about 25 gallons of gas

The biggest expense is the fuel to and from the event.

Lots of folks stay at the track. All tracks have decent showers.

I'm fortunate in that I have a really great sponsor that picks up the room and board for the weekend and most of my fuel and oil expenses for the race car and tow rig.

A local mom and pop tire shop helps me out by giving me free mounting and balancing. In return, I deliver the tires/wheels to them and have to be patient for them to get to them. Also, once every couple of months, I drag the race down to their store front and display it for a few hours on a Saturday. It draws quite a crowd and gets them some extra business.

Matthew, racecraft comes with exerience and seat time. In the field you described, it's tough to get that kind of experience.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
I don't think its a secret, how to wear someone down.

Hang on their *** and make them worry until they open up the lane. If you cant hang on their *** then you are never going to pass anyone, patience.

Make them beat themselves....I can only assume this saves your tires and brakes

Knowing the track well is probably the biggest advantage.
That's part of it.

Doing it so that you don't lose that ability to pounce is the really hard part.

In the video above, you can see where I was unable to complete the move because I killed my OWN momentum in the process.

That's a HIGHlight reel ... I don't publish my lowlight reel.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

This the same event weekend, but all of race 1.

http://www.vimeo.com/5501563

This is from a competitor's car and I'm in the white 4th gen. It shows everyone working traffic ...

The camera car suffered from overheating issues all weekend long and it hurt his ability to keep pace. the car is strong and the driver is very good.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sponsors have helped me out quite a bit. Local shop (Hammond Tire) both keeps the car in their garage and does all mount/balance/alignment. Thunder Racing is a newer sponsor, but have already stepped up BIG TIME with labor on the engine stuff and purchase of a set of tires (Michelin 27/68-18 yellows w/ 3 laps on them - WOOT!) for the next season.

A good lesson for me is watching the video when I was racing against John Brannan back in February. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWhAtK7J7Q

There's a LOT that I did wrong in that race. I was able to stick with him. But, I wasn't able to pounce when he made a mistake. And, in my worst moment (a few minutes into the 2nd video), I almost took both of us out by going too deep. I still watch that video and make mental notes.

Mitch - is there a website that lists those race dates? Or is it just the NASA CMC site?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

www.nasatxracing.com/ is the NASA Texas regional site.

www.nasaproracing.com/ is the National site. There is a drop down menu that will take you to ANY of the NASA regional sites

www.aicmctexas.com/forums/ is where all the NASA Texas AI and CMC racers BS ...
Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Good video, love to do some of that. Looks like good clean hard racing.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Seems as though Mitch has you snowed over. He isn't on a Sunday drive as he will close the door on you in a heartbeat and do secret squirrel stuff to screw you up anywhere he can. Seriously though-you couldn't find a better guy at any track than Mitch.

Mitch is so right about the chess game in our racing. Every time on track I learn something and Mitch has been the main one I have learned from. After he schooled me in one race at the start he asked if I noticed what he did to me. He boxed me in behind some slower cars and left him an opening on the inside which netted him about 3-4 cars in front of me.

Come on out-its the most fun I have had. I finally had my first contact after about 20 races. I lost a valve stem, and have a small dent that will mostly pop out. Its close clean racing.
I have a 93 6 spd hardtop that would make a great CMC car for 1,500.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro
Seems as though Mitch has you snowed over. He isn't on a Sunday drive as he will close the door on you in a heartbeat and do secret squirrel stuff to screw you up anywhere he can. Seriously though-you couldn't find a better guy at any track than Mitch.

Mitch is so right about the chess game in our racing. Every time on track I learn something and Mitch has been the main one I have learned from. After he schooled me in one race at the start he asked if I noticed what he did to me. He boxed me in behind some slower cars and left him an opening on the inside which netted him about 3-4 cars in front of me.

Come on out-its the most fun I have had. I finally had my first contact after about 20 races. I lost a valve stem, and have a small dent that will mostly pop out. Its close clean racing.
I have a 93 6 spd hardtop that would make a great CMC car for 1,500.
Sour grapes ...

I told you that once your times started beating mine, you were on your own.

Bryan has made HUGE progress in a short time. the ONLY way I was able to out run you was because I got very lucky with traffic. The only thing I would change is your car number

Quick Reply: CMC racing - Hallett MRC highlights