Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

How to heel/toe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to heel/toe?

Is proper heel/toe done with toe on brakes and heal on gas, or with heel on brakes and toe on gas.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heel on brakes, toe on gas. You can also use the left side of your foot for the brake, and the right side of your foot for the gas, but you need to have the pedals close together to do that.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^
My problem with the left side/right side method, and even the toe on brake, right edge on gas is my heel hitting the floorboard. I don't think I have a really large foot. I wear a 10 1/2 size shoe/sneaker, but with the ball of my foot on the break, my heel hits the floor before getting to the gas. Is there a way to adjust my brake pedal so it's higher?

I've been practicing the heel-brake toe-gas method because it's been the most comfortable method for me, but if there is a more acceptable method that just requires I make some adjustments to my pedals, I'm willing to go that route.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use toe-gas/heel-brake....seems to work ok for me...need practice though...hehe.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

The way driving school's teach it is to have your heel on the floor so your foot is always in the same spot. Then use your the big toe for the brake and roll your foot to the gas while keeping your heel on the floor. That way your heel is like a constant. I used to use the heel/ brake toe/gas but your brake application isn't alway the same if you do it that way.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

finally getting the hang of this ball on the brake, roll edge onto gas method, and I've figured out how to do it leaving my heel on the floorboard. I finally understand what people are talking about with extending the gas pedal to the left though. With the ball of my foot right on the edge of the brake, I'm barely catching the edge of the gas pedal. It's much more comfortable this way as well.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Default Raise your throttle pedal

I raised my throttle pedal about 3/4" by putting a piece of plywood underneath an aftermarket pedal cover. And I moved the brake pedal over about 3/8" with the same aftermarket pedal set. It works well ... I ended up getting the pedals in the same relative position as my Taurus SHO ... which has pedals designed for that from the factory.

John Parsons
Old 12-31-2003, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya know, I always find it a bit... disturbing I guess, that less performance oriented cars will have setups for performance driving that our more performance oriented F-body platforms seem to consistantly lack. Not bashing the SHOs by any means. They were nice cars (I say were cause the newer platform SHOs lost a lot of their appeal to me for several reasons). But they were still a car based on a family/commuter vehicle. And there are other cars based on less performance oriented platforms that came with a variety of support for performance driving. Provisions for 5 point racing harnesses, adjustable pedals/shifters, adjustable suspensions, etc. that the F-body platform has never really provided. I'll still take an F-body over any of these cars any day and just make the necessary adjustments, but it's unfortunate GM has never been more accomodating with this platform.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Default F-body amenities

I agree completely. I've owned a variety of cars over the years, and you'd think the best value rear drive manual transmission platform would have decently designed pedal placement, optimal shifter, and better steering wheel placement.

I'll go out on a limb here and claim that Ford's SVT guys get it.

Sigh. GM doesn't. At least, not in this area.

John
Old 12-31-2003, 08:08 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Over the Christmas break I was helping my bro in law do a clutch job on his DeTomaso Pantera, and I was reminded of the great pedal layout those cars have. You can easily control both the brake and gas pedals with one foot. But this arrangement is not for the masses; for the average driver that doesn't heel/toe, they can accidently hit the gas and the brake at the same time. The pedals almost have to be customized for the size of the drivers feet. I heard about a guy that had to drive his Pantera without shoes because there wasn't enough room for his foot size to push on the gas without hitting the brake. My bro in laws 1972 Pantera cost him almost as much used as my 2001 Camaro SS was new. Fbodies offer a lot for the money, and the rest is easily fixed with some tools and aftermarket parts.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

I find the stock location of the F-bod pedels great for heal/toeing. I use the "roll half of your foot over on the gas method." I've done a few driving schools at watkins glen with the Audi club and have had no problem downshifting while trying to match rev's with my speed. Definatly the more you practive the better you are. I never got actually putting you heal on the brake, toe on the gas or visa versa.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firehawk853
I find the stock location of the F-bod pedels great for heal/toeing.
Man, I didn't! Brake and throttle too far away, and too much height difference. I wonder if your Firehawk has different pedal location than stock?

John Parsons
Old 01-17-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I suggest getting some new pedals from here. Their pedals are made for heel/toe shifting and they also look awesome too....
I have them for my T/A and love em...
Old 01-18-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

I drive around town heel toeing and its second nature now...Thatll help you get used to the stock location of the pedals
Old 01-18-2004, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rice Burner
Thatll help you get used to the stock location of the pedals
I did it differently: I fixed the pedals within days of getting the car, and now I enjoy driving the car so much more. Maybe I'm just spoiled from my SHO days ...

jp
Old 01-20-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most of the time I can't really heel/toe around town. Traffic forces me to drive with the flow. I can't get on the brakes hard enough to need to heel/toe, and I'm not revving the engine beyond about 2500-3000RPMs in most cases, so there's little opportunity to practice.

I live in the city and drive in the city and I just can't drive around like I'm in a race 95% of the time. Now, the other 5%... well, I just have to be careful I don't get myself in trouble.

And because of the height difference between the brake and gas pedals, I need to press the brakes fairly hard to get the pedal low enough to be able to roll onto the gas pedal, or at least roll onto it enough to rev it higher than about 2k RPMs (which is about all I can get when applying light pressure to the brakes).

I am at least on the right track now though, and heading in the right direction. I just have to wait till spring to get any real practice in.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

I use my toes on both brake and gas. I keep my heel planted on the ground. The way you press the gas does help off of the line on races!!! I touch the bottom of the gas pedal with my toes/top of the foot. This way gets the best acceleration, I think!
Old 01-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Most of the time I can't really heel/toe around town. Traffic forces me to drive with the flow. I can't get on the brakes hard enough to need to heel/toe
Try putting your heal on the brake and toe on the gas as the name sugests. I do it this way and I'm able to use the technique 100% of the time, around town, in any weather, light braking or heavy, light throttle or full bore.

As far as which way is proper, you do it any way you can! With a stock fbody, you just about have to do it with heel and toe though.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've never been through a driving school, but as I teached myself to heel - toe on my own, it was just much more comfortable for me to do the half foot on the brake and roll onto the gas. I tried the heel on the brake method but I wasn't nearly as smooth.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to try out some of those pedals. Do they make them in rubber? I hate metal pedals, they are too slippery.

I can't really do heel/toe, I have to do the side/side thing. I have size 15 sneakers. I can BARELY hit the gas without hitting the brake or the rug on the tranny tunnel.

Dope

Quick Reply: How to heel/toe?