Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Any heating/brake fade issues with Fbodies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where does a guy find the brake ducts, pads, and fluid mentioned on this post? My 02 works rather well with the upgrades I've done on the pads and fluid, but it sounds like there is more to be had. Info?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ducts ...
http://www.blainefabrication.com/ductplenums.html

Pads ...
http://donovanracing.com/

Fluid ...
http://www.amazon.com/BRAKE-FLUID-SR...8957846&sr=8-2
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mucho Gracias!!!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

So my car is in the shop thanks to a nice pothole. I rented a new Camaro, took it to the track. Overheated the braking system in 2 laps, had smoking pouring off the brakes in 4 laps.

It's slightly overweight.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by treyZ28
My car is fully loaded and I'm running stock stuff. Upgrading to that extent isn't in the budget quite yet. I need some lessons on the bike, and they aren't cheap

When are you going to come out? I'm going out again Nov 20, 21, 26, 27 and 28, assuming I don't wad it up
Well, that didn't last long.

Got smurf juice in the camaro, ceramic pads and rotors from autozone with 3 yr warranty

Gonna do a split day between the car and bike tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ps: Holy **** ceramic pads suck in the cold
Old 11-26-2010, 08:19 PM

Never had any issues
Old 11-28-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Three laps, they were done

Needs C5 calipers, shocks and struts for starters.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Three laps, they were done

Needs C5 calipers, shocks and struts for starters.
What ceramic pads did you run? Where they a race only pad that was properly bedded in? I would think some Carbotechs would last longer than that before having issues. Before you do the upgrade try some XP10's on the front.

I am curious if ducting or C5 brakes really do much more than the stock setup.

I race with Mitch, too. Although my car is about 3,300 with me in it. I have one original F-body caliper and one rebuilt from O'Reilly's, XP 10's in front and Autozones in the rear, braided lines, brake ducting, and SRF. I don't recall much of a problem when I had plenty of pad left.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shitty autozone ones. Lifetime warranty ftw.

I'm motorcycle trash. Racing cars is above my pay grade. I was just hoping to run a few laps with a friend for fun once in a while.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro
I race with Mitch, too. Although my car is about 3,300 with me in it. I have one original F-body caliper and one rebuilt from O'Reilly's, XP 10's in front and Autozones in the rear, braided lines, brake ducting, and SRF. I don't recall much of a problem when I had plenty of pad left.
He uses "race" very loosely. It's more watching me disappear in the distance post green flag.

Trey ... I'm not sure what motorcycle platform you run, but I know guys with Dukes and a KTM Motard and they spend a LOT more open tracking their ride than I do.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
He uses "race" very loosely. It's more watching me disappear in the distance post green flag.

Trey ... I'm not sure what motorcycle platform you run, but I know guys with Dukes and a KTM Motard and they spend a LOT more open tracking their ride than I do.
How!?

I ride a CBR 1000RR.

I'm still new to it, so it's relatively cheap. Comparing apples to apples, at a given level, cars are astronomically more expensive. You can't compare racers to once a month hobbyists.

I'm going up Thursday and;or Friday, Mitch (or anyone else for that matter). I also have 1 guest pass remaining for the season.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

The guy with the Motard goes through a Metzler rear each track day. His tires cost as much as mine do.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy with the Motard goes through a Metzler rear each track day. His tires cost as much as mine do.
WTF? For track days? I don't know a single person that goes through a $300 tire a day. Hell, I'm not sure I could find a $300 rear tire without looking pretty hard. A nice set of endurance slicks are like $350.

edit: He must run at MSR.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

WTF? For track days? I don't know a single person that goes through a $300 tire a day. Hell, I'm not sure I could find a $300 rear tire without looking pretty hard. A nice set of endurance slicks are like $350.

edit: He must run at MSR.
Yes ... of course, my tires don't run $300 ... more like $180. But 6 lasts a whole season of 24 races with associated testing and qual sessions
Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that's a lot of life out of your tires.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

Get a set of XP 10's from Donovan and try them. AZ ceramic pads aren't going to work at that track. Let's hook up next year. Come out to our race in Cresson on March 12.

I remember when I had some brake trouble at ECR Mitch gave me an old set of pads he didn't want anymore. Completely blew the first braking zone and had to start braking at 300 ft the rest of the race. Maybe that was when he was able to outrun me. During my rookie year I started keeping up with him a little better. So the next year Mitch hires a Pro driver to setup his car and share seat time. Mitch has since retired to become a keyboard racer. I'm still trying to find out his screen name in sim racing. Don't get me wrong though-he knows this stuff.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes ... of course, my tires don't run $300 ... more like $180. But 6 lasts a whole season of 24 races with associated testing and qual sessions
Also, MSR EATS one side of the tires. My buddies dont get more than 1 track day out of a set of tires either. It's probably big bend.

ECR doesn't do that.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also, MSR EATS one side of the tires. My buddies dont get more than 1 track day out of a set of tires either. It's probably big bend.

ECR doesn't do that.
Big Bend, Little Bend, Tombstone ... but, with 4 Toyo tires, you can rotate and even flip on the rim to get max tire life.

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro
I remember when I had some brake trouble at ECR Mitch gave me an old set of pads he didn't want anymore. Completely blew the first braking zone and had to start braking at 300 ft the rest of the race. Maybe that was when he was able to outrun me. During my rookie year I started keeping up with him a little better. So the next year Mitch hires a Pro driver to setup his car and share seat time. Mitch has since retired to become a keyboard racer. I'm still trying to find out his screen name in sim racing. Don't get me wrong though-he knows this stuff.
So was the bad pad better than backing plate?

I really don;t have to "outrun" you ... just be a little patient. You'll do the work for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R78Nn6-Bujg

Rookies ...
Old 12-04-2010, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol. awesome.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=LS168Camaro;14190297]Get a set of XP 10's from Donovan and try them. AZ ceramic pads aren't going to work at that track. Let's hook up next year. QUOTE]

New to this board, not new to road racing...
This thread has been a fun read!

+1 for XP10's, Hawk Blues etc...
Hawk HPS Autozone etc... have no business on the track.

I have raced and built lots of different cars from Sentra's to Rx7's to tube chassis stockcars and instructed in just about every car under the sun.

All have the same results. No matter the weight, hp, etc...
Street pads do not belong on the track.
Most of the "big brake" upgrades could be solved with a set of race pads good fluid and lines as stated before.

Put some slicks on and start and getting on the brakes harder, then look into upgrading the equipment.

As far as driving a street car with race pads, my personal experience.
I have Hawk Blues on my 911. Summer/Winter/ all the time. My original plan was to swap the pads in and out, then got lazy, they stay on all the time now. The 911 ****** (please don't think I am one of them! I don't wear a $1000 fire suit to the driver meetings as you are not likely to catch fire there!) all say I need to upgrade my caliper/rotor as you can't track that car with the factory small brakes. Good fluid, blues and lines saved me tons of money on a car I ocasionaly take to the track. They work fine.

Save some $$$ Try the race pads on your stock equipment first.
Good luck! Be Safe!
Most of all, if the bigger brakes make you more comfortable, than do it!
Don't worry about others advise.
You will have more brain power left to driving instead of worring about your brakes.

Joelamite

Quick Reply: Any heating/brake fade issues with Fbodies?