Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Steering Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Wheel Question

I am posting this here, to ask those of you that road race your F-body at track events, what you had to do to mount an aftermarket wheel to your car. I am interested in the Sparco or Nardi line of wheels. I need something else, and want something else besides what the car came with. Airbags aren't good for anything but injuring you or emergency personell. I found that out last July when I met my maker in a near fatal accident. I am leaning towards the Nardi product line, and think it would go very well with the Stack guages I bought. Thanks
Old 03-14-2004, 11:12 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good question, I would like to know also! That stock wheel is so damn big around that my hands hit my long legs. I'm with you on the air bag thing; if there are multiple impacts when you get in a wreck, you won't be able to see where you are going after the first impact. If air bags really worked, NASCAR would use them instead of a 5 point harness!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using a Sparco wheel on my car with a quick disconnect. I used the 3rd gen quick disconnect and had to use some large washers as spacers inbetween the adaptor and the quick disconnect. Then I had to clearence the washers (1/8 thick industrial steel washers) for the bolts that hold the wheel to the adaptor. This gave the slip collar on the quick disconnect enough room to fully operate.

I went with the larget wheel sparco makes. I did that on purpose though. the larger diameter of steering wheel will slow the steering inputs down. I needed this for the Open Road Races, quick steering inputs=bad juju. I have thought about purchasing a much smaller wheel for open track days and autoX.

I prefer the sparco wheel to any other. And I really like the suede they use. Makes for a great feel in your hands.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Which stack gauges did you go with? I have thought about taking the entire cluster out of my car and replacing it with a Stack sytem that can monitor everything.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Which stack gauges did you go with? I have thought about taking the entire cluster out of my car and replacing it with a Stack sytem that can monitor everything.
I went with the Stack ST8130 series units. It replaces the tach, speedometer, water temp, oil pressure, oil temp, voltmeter, and the trip odometer. Plus it has a system of alarms any time a sensor picks up a value that exceeds what you programmed into it. With the factory stuff you never know which is up or down. Whether or not it will work is up in the air for me at this point, because I haven't had the mental capacity to install it.Or, I may have just gone out and done something else stupid like subscribing to just about every car magazine on the planet after I came home from the hospital even though there's times when I can't read or speak English because I don't remember how.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cal
Good question, I would like to know also! That stock wheel is so damn big around that my hands hit my long legs. I'm with you on the air bag thing; if there are multiple impacts when you get in a wreck, you won't be able to see where you are going after the first impact. If air bags really worked, NASCAR would use them instead of a 5 point harness!
These stock wheels suck big time. I've seen better looking steering wheels on station wagons. They just don't go with the theme of the car. It would be cool if you could figure out how to shift from the wheel like they do on the Ferrari Enzo.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sawedoff
I went with the Stack ST8130 series units.
I have always wanted to get that one and convert it into the SS. But the cost on it is pretty prohibitive. How do you plan on getting it to fit into the dash? the stack unit is alot smaller than the factory instrumentation area isnt it?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is this stack unit you guys are talking about. I have been wanting to replace my factory gauge cluster with autometer C2 gauges.
I have a spearco wheel. I got the momo adapter b/c spearco doesn't make one. It works great. I am gonna get a quick disconnect for it soon though.
Attached Thumbnails Steering Wheel Question-interior3.jpg   Steering Wheel Question-interior1.jpg   Steering Wheel Question-interior5.jpg  
Old 03-17-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Turnin'LT4
What is this stack unit you guys are talking about. I have been wanting to replace my factory gauge cluster with autometer C2 gauges.
I have a spearco wheel. I got the momo adapter b/c spearco doesn't make one. It works great. I am gonna get a quick disconnect for it soon though.
Here you go. It's a completely different breed of animal.
http://www.stackltd.com/streetdash1.html
Old 03-17-2004, 08:21 PM

I have always wanted to get that one and convert it into the SS. But the cost on it is pretty prohibitive. How do you plan on getting it to fit into the dash? the stack unit is alot smaller than the factory instrumentation area isnt it?
I'm either going to go with carbon fiber where the mounting surface is trimmed from carbon fiber sheeting, or burnished aluminum. The work will be top notch high quality with correct fitment with the dash. I may use some trim from an OEM unit. It will go with the theme I want for the car. The work will look exotic and won't look like a chopped up race car. I'm really looking at the European exotica for inspiration here.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sawedoff
These stock wheels suck big time. I've seen better looking steering wheels on station wagons. They just don't go with the theme of the car. It would be cool if you could figure out how to shift from the wheel like they do on the Ferrari Enzo.
Well since I made the post near the begining of this thread, I've replaced the stock steering wheel with a "Signature series" Grant wheel. They don't make an adapter for any car with an air bag, but I decided to just try their generic GM "billet" adapter kit, and it fit and worked out great. I did have to machine about 0.040" off the bell to keep it from rubbing on the steering column.

This wheel is about an inch smaller than the stock one, and should be great for autocross. It makes getting in and out of the car eaiser also, and with the cage I need all the help I can get.

Oh yeah, and I weighed the stock wheel with air bag; it's 8.5 lbs! What a heavy bastard, that thing should be in a bus!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

here'z an ideaw....... have the steering wheel adapter only sold w/ a 5pt. harness..... lol
Old 03-18-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Assassin
here'z an ideaw....... have the steering wheel adapter only sold w/ a 5pt. harness..... lol
Already have that taken care of
Old 03-18-2004, 11:18 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin

Yeah me too! Those things are really nice when you get used to the added time to hook everything up; really holds you in place while cornering.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

can you other guys w/ steering wheels post some pics please?... is that grand billet wheel adapter polished out?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yes, the Grant "billet" adapter is polished aluminum, nice piece. I'll try and post a pic of my wheel.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK here's my new wheel:

Last edited by Cal; 03-21-2004 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cal
OK here's my new wheel:
heh cool, thats the exact steering wheel I wuz gonna pick up a little while ago
Old 03-22-2004, 09:36 PM
Launching!

I have the Sparco wheel and MOMO quick disconnect hub. Works great. Love it. Allows very easy exit and entry.

Regards
Steve

OGRacing.com
http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/home.asp?categ=125
http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/home.a...u1&view=search
Old 03-23-2004, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just bought a steering wheel for my Firebird. It's a D shaped wheel made by Pilot. I bought a mid eighties Firebird adapter, should work,,, I hope it works anyway.

Here is a pic of the wheel I bought.

[IMG] [/IMG]

I bought a Pilot wheel for my Blazer awhile back and like it pretty well. I really like the Momo Trek model but I really find it hard to spend 200 bucks on a steering wheel. If the Pilot doesn't work out then I reckon I'll give the Momo a try.

BTW, anyone ever take the passenger side bag out? How bad of a pain in the rump is it?

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Question