Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

How good are f-bodies on a track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012 | 06:01 AM
Teching In

Yes, an F-body can make a pretty good track car if set up correctly - here's mine playing with more exotic vehicles:
. However, The C5 platform is simply much superior. When comparing an equally prepped cars and equally skilled drivers, a C5 is going to be several seconds faster on any road course. I love my F-body, but if I had to do it over, I'd go C5.
Old 09-04-2012 | 06:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93FirehawkTA
Yes, an F-body can make a pretty good track car if set up correctly - here's mine playing with more exotic vehicles: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uun8u7CfvtQ. However, The C5 platform is simply much superior. When comparing an equally prepped cars and equally skilled drivers, a C5 is going to be several seconds faster on any road course. I love my F-body, but if I had to do it over, I'd go C5.
BUT

Any swingin d!ick can go fast in a Vette.

When my buddy and I pull in the paddock with two 4th gens on one trailer they look down their noses at us from the seats of their BMW's, Porsche's and Vette's.

Then after the 3rd session or so they are easing over to our pit to look at the slow *** mullet wagon they had to point by.

The shock and awe of the Fbody is off the charts compared to a Vette, you aren't supposed to be fast in a Fbody, but you are supposed to be fast in a Vette.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-04-2012 | 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

I second that, no better feeling than getting a point by from a Z06 or an M3! I love putting my aggressive Ram Air Nose in their mirror so they see I'm on their tail!
Old 09-04-2012 | 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
BUT

Any swingin d!ick can go fast in a Vette.

When my buddy and I pull in the paddock with two 4th gens on one trailer they look down their noses at us from the seats of their BMW's, Porsche's and Vette's.

Then after the 3rd session or so they are easing over to our pit to look at the slow *** mullet wagon they had to point by.

The shock and awe of the Fbody is off the charts compared to a Vette, you aren't supposed to be fast in a Fbody, but you are supposed to be fast in a Vette.
yeah, and imagine the looks when we pull into the paddock with the piece of crap pictured in my sig.

go fast parts: $6K
suspension and brake mods: $3K
weight reduction: $3K
beautification: $0
The expression on the face of a 911 driver as he points you by: priceless
Old 09-04-2012 | 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1981TA
yeah, and imagine the looks when we pull into the paddock with the piece of crap pictured in my sig.

go fast parts: $6K
suspension and brake mods: $3K
weight reduction: $3K
beautification: $0
The expression on the face of a 911 driver as he points you by: priceless
He he, no ****. I would paint your car like a jigsaw puzzle.

I have around the same money in my 99 Z28, if I crash it I go to the junkyard....buy a V6 body, swap all the stuff over and get back after it. Hard to do that with any other car really except a Fox chassis Mustang and they are going up in price. F body cars are still cheap.

If I ever do wrinkle it up it will turn into a dedicated track car, take about 600lbs out of it, put it on some NT-01's and look out.
Old 09-04-2012 | 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

BTW 93FirehawkTA can we have some more pics and info on your hooptie? I dig it.
Old 09-04-2012 | 06:25 PM
Teching In

BTW 93FirehawkTA can we have some more pics and info on your hooptie? I dig it.
Thanks. Here's a few shots:

I was originally building the car to run American Iron, but stopped once I understood the difference in cost between doing HPDE's and running competitively in a series. So now, the objective is to have a stock appearing car, that's more (streetable) racecar than street car, which I can track hard and not have anything break, overheat, or blow up... Some details are:
- 383 na LT1, T56, 10 bolt with 3.73s
- stripped inside, two seats, full cage, fire suppression
- Moton shocks, Fays2 watts link
- Brembo brakes
- NT01 tires (4 years old with 40+ heat cycles)
- AIM dash with data acquisition
Old 09-04-2012 | 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Pics in almost the exact same spot on track.

Old 09-04-2012 | 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

What lap times yo running at Road Atlanta? Or really give the times on all the tracks you run, I see you run Barber also.
Old 09-05-2012 | 05:30 AM
Teching In

What lap times yo running at Road Atlanta? Or really give the times on all the tracks you run, I see you run Barber also.
Nice shot of your Camaro. Always good to see an F-body on track.

I've run 1:38s at RA and 1:46s at Barber. Both times are about 4-5sec off what a national level driver could do with my car with fresher rubber and a better knowledge of suspension setup. I don't get anywhere near enough seat time. Haven't done a track day yet this year.

Also ran Little Tally years ago before my major changes. Ran 1:08s there.
Old 09-05-2012 | 06:44 AM
Trunion King

Nice runs/pics fellas. I can't wait to do HPDEs with mine over there.
Old 09-06-2012 | 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Nice shot of your Camaro. Always good to see an F-body on track.

I've run 1:38s at RA and 1:46s at Barber. Both times are about 4-5sec off what a national level driver could do with my car with fresher rubber and a better knowledge of suspension setup. I don't get anywhere near enough seat time. Haven't done a track day yet this year.

Also ran Little Tally years ago before my major changes. Ran 1:08s there.
Thats quick, I am no where near your times.

I weigh 4000lbs with an instructor and am on 200 tread wear tires.

My first time at RA I was in the low 1:50's/high 1:40's(downhill into 12 and running flatout through 9 skeered me a little)

Barber, mid 1:50's

Roebling high 1:20's(1:28-1:29)

Circuit Grand Bayou high 1:20's(1:28-1:29)

Eagles Canyon Raceway 2:19 on street tires and no brake ducts.

I have a long way to go to get over my corner speed entry fears, I have about 6 events now.
Old 09-06-2012 | 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

They do pretty good in the rain too! VIR in March
Old 09-06-2012 | 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a couple teaser shots of next years ride. Still an Fbody, and still an LS1

Old 09-06-2012 | 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

one of my favorite tracks in games. i want to race there one day
Old 09-06-2012 | 09:15 PM
Teching In

Hey just read through the thread and there's some good information. I've taken my RSX to mid ohio two different times for hpde. I loved it and really miss it hopefully I can get the Trans am the parts she needs to go to mid ohio or any other course around here I haven't been to yet.

Oh here's one of my videos
http://youtube.com/watch?feature=m-ch-vid&v=r2Fj74xmieU

I remember passing a couple Corvette in my little RSX. Nobody believed me lmao
Old 09-07-2012 | 07:38 AM
Teching In

Thats quick, I am no where near your times.

I weigh 4000lbs with an instructor and am on 200 tread wear tires.

My first time at RA I was in the low 1:50's/high 1:40's(downhill into 12 and running flatout through 9 skeered me a little)

Barber, mid 1:50's

Roebling high 1:20's(1:28-1:29)

Circuit Grand Bayou high 1:20's(1:28-1:29)

Eagles Canyon Raceway 2:19 on street tires and no brake ducts.

I have a long way to go to get over my corner speed entry fears, I have about 6 events now.

Pretty good for only 6 events. You'll get quicker with more seat time. Yes, running through 12 can be intimidating - Road Atlanta is known for it. Also, our cars generate significant lift at higher speeds as is, so going through 9 it only gets worse and the front gets even lighter - not want you want going into the highest speed braking zone on the course (10A). You'll get used to it though, and you've probably seen the threads on FRRAX that explain how to diminish lift or even generate downforce.
Old 09-07-2012 | 12:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I was originally building the car to run American Iron, but stopped once I understood the difference in cost between doing HPDE's and running competitively in a series. So now, the objective is to have a stock appearing car, that's more (streetable) racecar than street car, which I can track hard and not have anything break, overheat, or blow up... Some details are:
- 383 na LT1, T56, 10 bolt with 3.73s
- stripped inside, two seats, full cage, fire suppression
- Moton shocks, Fays2 watts link
- Brembo brakes
- NT01 tires (4 years old with 40+ heat cycles)
- AIM dash with data acquisition
Details on the Motons? I wasn't even aware they made them for f-bodies until now. Do they still use the stock rear spring location, or do they move it to the shock body? Remote canisters?
Old 09-08-2012 | 12:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Details on the Motons? I wasn't even aware they made them for f-bodies until now. Do they still use the stock rear spring location, or do they move it to the shock body? Remote canisters?
To my knowledge, Moton doesn't make shocks for a specific vehicle. They make a few different types, and its up to the car builder to adapt to the vehicle. The shocks use coil over springs. The remote canisters have fast and slow compression adjustment. Rebound adjustment is on the shock.
Old 09-08-2012 | 06:58 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

To my knowledge, Moton doesn't make shocks for a specific vehicle. They make a few different types, and its up to the car builder to adapt to the vehicle. The shocks use coil over springs. The remote canisters have fast and slow compression adjustment. Rebound adjustment is on the shock.
Interesting...the company that some of the Moton employees started has a list of cars on their page:

http://www.motioncontrolsuspension.com/products.html

...and at least for the Viper, they are made specifically for that car. Maybe that's something they changed with their new company. Certainly made buying/installing them a lot easier.

Sounds like you have the 3-way?

Quick Reply: How good are f-bodies on a track?