Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

How good are f-bodies on a track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good are f-bodies on a track?

Hey guys
So ive been entertaining the idea of tracking my car once I graduate this spring. I just wanted to findout the general census on whether it can be done in my 1999 SS CAMARO or if I shouldnt bother and just get a C5ZO6 eventually. My underatanding is people like Sam Strano have had sucess. I just wanted to get feed back before i go crazy with this idea. Thanks for any post.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Set up properly, they can do very well. The platform will always be somewhat limited due to the size and weight distribution, but they really are better than most people will give them credit for.

A C5ZO6 certainly has way more potential than an f-body, so if you plan on getting serious, it might be best to keep any mods to your Camaro to a minimum while you save/wait for the right Vette to come along. C5ZO6 is a lot of bang for the buck, and there are many out there to choose from.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Your car is plenty capable so just go out and have a good time. I've had a great time playing with some off the Corvette guys so it's about the driver more than anything.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

I was in the same situation you are and decided to dip my feet in with what I had. I now track my full weight '02 Z28 a couple times a year. It started stock with only bolt-on engine mods. Now the suspension has been modified quite a bit but I'm still only bolt-ons in the power department. No regrets and loving it!

Btw... half the fun is surprising some people with how well a camaro gets around the track

http://www.youtube.com/user/2002Mark2002/videos

Mark.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. Anything modification wise help you guys out the most?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you've got the dough to track a C5Z06, I say go for it, but don't underestimate your current ride though. They do pretty damn well on the track, parts are relatively cheap and common. Consider this: I put a new carb (untuned) and TDP-prepped T56 in my 2nd gen TA two days before tracking it at Road America. The car ran on 245s, with a global west suspension, a stock internal 2001 LS1 (LTH, carb intake), and a race weight around 3000 pounds. Even with horribly "off" brake biasing, the car was way more capable on the track than I was (I'm a noob). It turned a 3:01 best lap with my buddy driving (experienced racer) and kept pace with some impressive cars. It would easily drop 20 seconds on a better tune and with a new brake prop valve.

The best part, "consumable" and breakable parts are cheap. They're probably even cheaper with a 4th gen. If you maintain a certain level of roadworthiness, I would think running the camaro would cost less than a vette. Less cost = more track time. I'd advocate trading up to a vette once your driving skills outgrow the camaro.

If you're just graduating (and not a doctor or similar high-earner) do you think your pocketbook could sustain the loss of a Z06? You own the Camaro already. There's reason I track a 1981 TA, instead of my G8. I'd rather be 4000 dollar POed than 20000 dollar suicidal.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by BlackDemonSS
If you are just starting out, just make sure the maintenance is up to par - fresh fluids all around (power steering, engine, transmission, rear end, and BRAKE), and maybe some new brake pads (but nothing too serious). If you've never done it before, a stock car will be all you'll need. After you've done it for a while, you'll probably start noticing any shortfalls (braking would probably be the first, and can be taken care of with some better pads).

Race first, mod later.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I like to surprise the Vette owners too. The track makes a big difference in how these cars perform in comparison to others. These cars are better suited to big tracks with sweeping corners. At the smaller track I go to I am fighting with the light weight cars like S2000s. At the bigger track I leave them behind. Many people have been impressed at how well it does. I have not been out with the LS3 yet. Good brake pads and a performance alignment help a lot. I need to change to dedicated tires and brake pads.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Ive noticed that my car does pretty well in canyons and what not. Even surprised a friend in a new sti. I will upgrading my sway bars here soon. Mainly cause all the urethane bushings are old so new sway bars come with new hardware. Also i know i have warped front rotor. Any recommendation on a replacement?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive noticed that my car does pretty well in canyons and what not. Even surprised a friend in a new sti. I will upgrading my sway bars here soon. Mainly cause all the urethane bushings are old so new sway bars come with new hardware. Also i know i have warped front rotor. Any recommendation on a replacement?
any blank rotor is your best bet.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Search here, suspension section and FRRAX.com
Good shocks (Koni SAs for example) will make the biggest difference, and totally transform the car. Id suggest those with some decent brake pads, quality blank rotors and decent tires + regular maintenance stuff.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

I just upgraded the stock French POS shocks with Bilisteins and took the eibach lowering springs off and put the spring kit from slp on. Tires have about 6k on them. Yokohama S-Drives, they seem better then my old KDW's.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

You should give Sam Strano a call...he talked me through and is pretty much the man when it comes to auto-x or tracking F-bodies.

I'm a noob too, but start with shocks, sway bars, and springs for your car. Tires will be important too.

If you DD your car, you might want to look into a setup of rims/tires for track purposes because you will go through tires pretty quickly. Slicks aren't a must, there are some really good street/track tires that you can drive to the track on and race with.

I have an LT1, so I'm upgrading the brakes currently. The LS1 brakes are better and you can get by with swapping the pads for an event. If you get serious, then maybe upgrade the brakes later...If you are doing longer events, like HPDE, you'll definitely want to swap the brake fluid so you don't boil the fluid. Like mentioned above...make sure you put in fresh fluids before any 'serious' event.

I saw in sig that you were looking at the UMI sway bars...again, might want to call Sam Strano, he makes an awesome set of sways for F-bodies...probably better than UMI. He referred me with my setup and goals and I'm very happy.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jesup16
You should give Sam Strano a call...he talked me through and is pretty much the man when it comes to auto-x or tracking F-bodies.
I actually met Sam today at an SCCA event at Fedex Field. Guy is a genius with his cars. He built an 05-09 Mustang for a guy to race with and was pretty wicked, the only problem is that Sam set the car up for how he drives not for the guy who actually drove the car today, so keep that in mind, everyone has their own driving styles and setups will vary.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I autoX and track my WS6 quite a bit. I must say the z06 guys are quite surprized when they get a mirror full of the aggressive Ram air nose! My car is not stock, It's preppared to Strano's Specs, Konis made the most difference in the car of all the mods I've done. I have Sam's springs and bars, prothane front bushings, Sams offset upper bushings, an auborn Road Race Diff and headers and bolt ons for the motor. For more in depth info I would check out FRRAX.com It's all fbodies, all the time...

At my last trip to VIR I turned a 2:23 lap on street tires, that's only a few seconds slower than the american Iron guys run.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said, Sam is a guru when it comes to this stuff, he knows what he is talking about that is for sure.

I was considering going to a track day or some kind of WDCR SCCA solo event just to see how I could handle my car on a cone course. But I wouldn't know what class I'd be running in with my mods or even if the car would even be autox course worthy after the torque converter I'm planning to install by the end of summer. I've searched and searched and can't find much about a stalled a4 in autocross. My current mods are in sig, right now I have the stock 10 bolt with 2.73 gears and street tires. I am planning on doing a couple suspension upgrades before the converter but I'm looking at a 3300-3600 stall speed.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

If I did keep my car, i could make it what I want. And I would get a kick out of surprising vette owners lol. Granted it wont handle as well as IRS supported cars.

How do Bilistein shocks handle in comparison to koni's?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I did keep my car, i could make it what I want. And I would get a kick out of surprising vette owners lol. Granted it wont handle as well as IRS supported cars.
Hopefully this will prove inspiring: The car in the picture below played leapfrog with a Z06 and a 911 S2 during a recent HPDE at Road America. Braking issues forced slower than desired corner entries, and carb tuning made exits a bit pokey, otherwise it would have embarrassed quite a few people. But the car still has a solid rear axle and cornered like it was on rails. The Global West suspension no doubt helped.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine drove like it was on rails as well. I took it to the Nurburgring. My only handicap were my tires and inexperience of the track.

Last edited by bene; 09-24-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Quick Reply: How good are f-bodies on a track?