Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

The Greatest Gearhead Adventure of ALL TIME! Episode 3 added.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Greatest Gearhead Adventure of ALL TIME! Episode 3 added.

This is the 3rd installment. Hopefully they're getting better as I go.
This covers our first big group trip to the Nurburgring after our second Afghanistan deployment together.
The Boss 302 was in full race car mode, slammed to the ground with stiff springs, poly bushings, and huge sticky R888 tires. So it was a little out of place amongst a bunch of stock street cars, and a newbie motorcyclist.
Enjoy, and as always comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Phoenix64; 03-04-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First and foremost thank you very much for your service. The video is awesome and the Nurburgring is so on my bucket list. I've driven the Daytona 24 hr course, Sebring and Road Atlanta so I've checked some great tracks off but the ring is the pinnacle for sure. Thanks for putting this together.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Am not sure what to say...in regards to the requested feedback because the content is all over the place. So, will offer set up advise. The number one reason that Miata's & BMW's are both good off the lot (stock) & easiest to suspension tune is that they are each designed w/ a kingpin inclination angle (AKA scrub radius) very close to zero. Without a KIA close to zero, the handling can never truly be dialed in. Getting yours close to zero is well worth the time & effort.

GTR's, EVo's, Subaru's...are all wheel drive & should never be allowed to compete in the same class w/ 2 wheel drive vehicles. We laugh every time a racing series (Optima Street car challenge) fauns over the success of these cars when pitted against 2 wheel drive competitors. Agreed, GTR's are great purpose buit cars, but, are also a completely different animal.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Am not sure what to say...in regards to the requested feedback because the content is all over the place. So, will offer set up advise. The number one reason that Miata's & BMW's are both good off the lot (stock) & easiest to suspension tune is that they are each designed w/ a kingpin inclination angle (AKA scrub radius) very close to zero. Without a KIA close to zero, the handling can never truly be dialed in. Getting yours close to zero is well worth the time & effort.

GTR's, EVo's, Subaru's...are all wheel drive & should never be allowed to compete in the same class w/ 2 wheel drive vehicles. We laugh every time a racing series (Optima Street car challenge) fauns over the success of these cars when pitted against 2 wheel drive competitors. Agreed, GTR's are great purpose buit cars, but, are also a completely different animal.
I've obsessed about that a lot recently when trying different wheel and tire setups on my C5 Z06. I like the balance of grip the best on the 18x9.5 c6 Z06 square setup, but I can't get over how good the steering feel is with the stock wheels up front.

There are no good tire choices for a 17x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear though, so I'm kinda stuck.

Last edited by Phoenix64; 12-25-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
First and foremost thank you very much for your service. The video is awesome and the Nurburgring is so on my bucket list. I've driven the Daytona 24 hr course, Sebring and Road Atlanta so I've checked some great tracks off but the ring is the pinnacle for sure. Thanks for putting this together.

Thanks for helping me make it.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty good. I was getting lost on the timeline a little bit. The commentary and video did not match up, meaning you were talking about something that we weren't watching.

IMO, plan out video clips and what you want to say at that point a little better. Keep in mind what "message" you want to get across from the video.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the feedback, hopefully this Ep2 is a little better from an editing standpoint
Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1-450

You should review the winners of the Optima series over the years, there hasn't been a GTR, EVO or WRX ever to win the series and there have been very few of those cars win any class. They are getting closer to winning but Vettes still hold on in GTL and I think the 5th gen Camaro's are hanging on in the GT class.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Recently went TDY to Rammstein and it was every bit as awesome as I'd envisioned it. Fingers crossed for an assignment there when my code expires in 2 years!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Great videos, thank you for sharing and thanks for your service!
Old 03-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Added EP.3 Our first big adventure trip.

Quick Reply: The Greatest Gearhead Adventure of ALL TIME! Episode 3 added.