Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

First track day at Dominion Raceway in VA

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default First track day at Dominion Raceway in VA

Well...took the car out for her first track day at Dominion Raceway that just opened up last year. Any way, if you saw my post in the internal motor section, you know how this ends, but the car felt great, it was my first time on r comp tires and man, that was great. I got through my 1st session check ride for solo and managed a 1:41.5 in my second session before the motor destroyed itself. 178K on the clock, so I can't complain. The track is still quite bumpy, but it was a fun course, looking forward to getting back out there after I I Get a new motor.

Full session (8 mins) in car:

Spectator view of blown motor:
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch. I've been there. Does this track have a long sustained corner? Road America has one and it can kill a LS engine due to oil starvation (oil sloshing away from the pickup tube + high rpm).
Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ouuuch that sounded terrible lol.

Lucked out that you were right there by the pits to pull off.

What caused it to pop?
Old 05-02-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1981TA
Ouch. I've been there. Does this track have a long sustained corner? Road America has one and it can kill a LS engine due to oil starvation (oil sloshing away from the pickup tube + high rpm).
I wouldn't say there was any particularly long corner...but the first half of the track definitely has you giving the power steering pump a work out.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Ouuuch that sounded terrible lol.

Lucked out that you were right there by the pits to pull off.

What caused it to pop?
I think it was the bearings...when I cam to a stop, both the coolant and power steering fluid was boiling...I'm thinking friction in the bearings just got so hot it finally let loose. Did you see the final coolant temp?? 261 degrees.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My thoughts:

It popped from oil starvation. You were unnecessarily winding the engine out to the limiter in some spots. The stock wet sump oiling system doesn't like extended periods of high rpm. This, combined with the extra grip from R compound tires caused it to starve really bad, which smoked the bearings. Once you had metal on metal those temps skyrocketed.

For the new engine, call up Improved Racing and buy everything they sell. Pan baffle, crank scraper, and oil cooler. They also recommend Melling oil pumps, supposedly they cavitation less at high rpm.I would also add an Accusump for extra insurance. Keep the RPM under 6500, use a high quality synthetic, and the new one should live a long happy life.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
My thoughts:

It popped from oil starvation. You were unnecessarily winding the engine out to the limiter in some spots. The stock wet sump oiling system doesn't like extended periods of high rpm. This, combined with the extra grip from R compound tires caused it to starve really bad, which smoked the bearings. Once you had metal on metal those temps skyrocketed.

For the new engine, call up Improved Racing and buy everything they sell. Pan baffle, crank scraper, and oil cooler. They also recommend Melling oil pumps, supposedly they cavitation less at high rpm.I would also add an Accusump for extra insurance. Keep the RPM under 6500, use a high quality synthetic, and the new one should live a long happy life.
Damn!! Where were you on 28 April 2017??? lol

That makes a lot of sense...the one lap I was trying to see if 2nd gear was better for the little esses and then where I passed the vette, it seemed like a waste to shift in fourth so I kept holding 3rd. Lesson learned. Motor had 178K on it, so it's not terribly surprising.

Thanks for the tip on checking out Improved Racing...will do.

Keep the advice coming...much appreciated.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a lot of laps around Dominion now, both as a driver and an instructor. I didn't like it at first, but its started to grow on me. when you're ready for the Improved Racing stuff hit me up I can give you a discount code for it. I have all their stuff in my car and they help me out. I think I'm going to ride up there this week when the One Lap of America guys stop there, I have a lot of racing buddys that are running that this year.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
My thoughts:

x2 on all accounts. accusump is a must

15-50 mobil 1 is great for road racing. cheap too

Quick Reply: First track day at Dominion Raceway in VA