LS1Tech Editor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tips for Choosing the Right Track for Your First Track Day

Tips for Choosing the Right Track for Your First Track Day
By Curated Content Team

Old 07-03-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

IMO, #5 is the most important. Nothing is more important than an instructor in the seat next to you.

You should never go to an open track day as your first track experience. You'll spend the whole day driving around trying to figure out the track, and never really get it. And you can develop some really bad habits. A good instructor will show you the proper line in 20 minutes or less. Then it's up to you to learn and follow it.

Also, open track days are not always the safest environments for beginners. You never know what knuckle headed yahoo is in that new Corvette coming up behind you. Will he wait for a safe passing opportunity? Or will he dive bomb you in the next corner?

For your first few track days, pick an organization with a good safety reputation, like SCCA or NASA. Get an instructor. And have a lot of fun with a good group of people

BUT! Let me warn you ahead of time. This is more addictive than crack, and twice as expensive.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with boB. Getting instruction is an absolute requirement. Track is so much different than street driving, newbs NEED classroom and side-seat instruction.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100% agreed with Bob and Chris above!

I instruct. And speaking to the instruction side- its a huge responsibility and its not 'all' about the track- its about the setting for instruction 'AT' the track!
When I get assigned a student, I spend a good amount of time with them before we set a wheel on the track. I want to know what they've done in the past, their expectations from this event, future goals with regards to driving, all car mods & etc. I also want to know their comfort and self-perceived skill level with their car (some barely drive their beasts while others seem to live in them and know EVERY little characteristic). Then I try to sift through to the reality of it all and get them back to earth.

Besides them going through tech, I look over every part of the car myself to uncover issues- I don't like surprises when we're off and going . This is also a great education for the student as more times then not, they're learning something new well before getting on the track about their car or something. I get the conversation and information transfer going in order to begin to establish trust and transparency with my student. If you don't have clear and good communication and a foundation of trust- that car may not be going home in 1 piece and someone may be going to the hospital. This is dead serious stuff and when I used to run and organize an HPDE, it was the worst feeling in the world when one of 'your' patrons has an incident.

Explaining the 'rules' for the event, safety/corner worker placement, what-ifs 'if' something where to happen, going over the track map, and general track driving fundamentals (braking, shifting, turn in, apex, track out) are also covered.

Communication while in car- I use a wired helmet-to-helmet intercom so there is no need to yell over a loud motor and wind; and that allows us to say something ONCE and be clearly heard. As simple and that is, it sets the tone for a calm and productive environment when we're on track as I'm talking the student through corner-by corner what we're doing and etc.

Between sessions, we go over what we just experienced, things/places to look at more and improve on, CONGRATULATE them on areas they're doing well at, and then set a plan/goal for the next session. The objective is to keep the energy positive and taking car of the car while the student is learning and taking in things at a rapid pace.

Success is measured in the size of the cheezy **** eating grin at the end of a session and at the end of the day.

Hope to see you guys at the track!!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a disagreement with my "last" instructor and handed him the keys to my car. Needless to say when he turned a 4 second slower best lap then I did his attitude changed. #someorganizationslicensingprocessessigh
Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice article. I recently participated in an SCCA Track Night in America at NOLA.
Great event for driver's at all levels, especially new ones if you do the starting line school. Nola is very safe track--flat, low speed, lots of runout.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice topic and I got many information to increase my knowledge.
Cool stuff.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DietCoke
I had a disagreement with my "last" instructor and handed him the keys to my car. Needless to say when he turned a 4 second slower best lap then I did his attitude changed. #someorganizationslicensingprocessessigh
Heh me too, I had a Front wheel drive instructor try to give me tips. There was nothing he could tell me that helped. It was mostly a silent drive for the 2nd half of that session. So a person familiar with your platform is helpful.

FWIW, if you are going to drive to and from the event in your car, a close track is helpful.

Be sure to know, and have documented in paper, the closest part stores and repair shops. Some tracks are FAR away from town and if you break, getting a tow is expensive, cell reception may be bad, and if you drove there, you might need to get a quick repair (or longggg repair) and drive home. [Yes I've had 2x things occurred that almost left me stranded at the track.] Have a backup plan or buddy with a trailer that could help in a pinch.

No matter what track, for your first few times, promise yourself you will only drive to 8/10ths or 9/10ths of your ability (or percieved ability). Your goal is to learn and have fun, not set a new fast lap record. And make it home in 1 piece without repairs.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
Heh me too, I had a Front wheel drive instructor try to give me tips. There was nothing he could tell me that helped. It was mostly a silent drive for the 2nd half of that session. So a person familiar with your platform is helpful.
yes, Yes, YES! FWD & RWD are totally different animals. That ought to be a no-brainer for ride-along instructors. I don't go with FWD'ers, only RWD'ers.

FWIW, if you are going to drive to and from the event in your car, a close track is helpful.

Be sure to know, and have documented in paper, the closest part stores and repair shops. Some tracks are FAR away from town and if you break, getting a tow is expensive, cell reception may be bad, and if you drove there, you might need to get a quick repair (or longggg repair) and drive home. [Yes I've had 2x things occurred that almost left me stranded at the track.] Have a backup plan or buddy with a trailer that could help in a pinch.

No matter what track, for your first few times, promise yourself you will only drive to 8/10ths or 9/10ths of your ability (or percieved ability). Your goal is to learn and have fun, not set a new fast lap record. And make it home in 1 piece without repairs.
That's what people need to realize and be told if they already don't know. The cars WILL get used up to some extent tracking. Brakes may very well be consumed over a 2 day event- making for a noisy and maybe not-so-safe ride home. And yeah, goofy things may happen and a trip to get parts to repair whatever may be in order, so plan for that too.

Totally on point with keeping yourself in check and limiting effort, and it's the instructor's job to keep you 'in bounds'. That's what a good instructor should discover, pick up on and subdue. Also doesn't hurt to maybe tape a copy of your insurance policy or pic of the family on the dash as a subtle motivator to not try and be the next Michael Schumacher... or Pastor Maldonado either lol.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

This is good advice. When I'm at a new track I usually just follow a fast guy for a session and learn the lines/braking zones. After that, all bets are off.

Quick Reply: Tips for Choosing the Right Track for Your First Track Day