Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Stock Camaro seats vs. Corbeau Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Camaro seats vs. Corbeau Seats

I am looking to replace the stock seats in my 2001 Z28. I have 5 points so I need the seats to have the shoulder harness holes.

I have looked at the Corbeau seats and they look really nice. I'm looking at something like the A4, the CR1, TRS, or VX2000 (all reclining/adjustable). My question is how are they in comparison to the stock seats as far as comfort? To me, the stock seats are "ok...." (meaning I can ride in them for two hours or so before I have to get out and let my butt come back to life).

Has anyone had any of these four seats I'm looking at? How did you like it? Will these seats be as good as (hopefully better than) the stock units? If not, who else makes seats that might work better?
Old 07-31-2004, 12:19 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure almost any seat is more comfortable than a stock Camaro seat! For my five point harness I just cut a wide slit in the headrest of the stock seat and fed the belts through. It's easy to do this because the metal is a hoop that follows the outside edges of the seat.

Anyway, page NataSSInc. He has some real nice race seats for sale, and he can tell you more about which ones are best. One issue I've heard of is that many of them sit too high, so do your homework before you buy.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Default Corbeau CR1's

I recently replaced my stock seats in my 02 Z with Corbeaus CR1's. I have no trouble with them and they are quite comfortable on long trips. I go to Austin for the weekends and it's 3 hours away. They work awesome in the curves for Texas hill country.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I put Corbeau TRS wide seats in my 2002 Z28 for exactly 1 week before I removed them and took a $250 loss on them. I hated them. They are flat on the bottom, the seat brackets place the seat so you get no support under your thigh and every time I hit the brakes, I slid forward in the seat. I lost 15/16ths of an inch of head room (helmet clearance and I'm only 5' 11") and was generally unimpressed. I sold them and went back to stock seats. I'd really like to do aftermarket seats, but I'm a little afraid to order something else to "try". So, I may just dig up a set of T/A seats, have a harness slot added on the bottom and call it done.

My experience.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Launching!

I love them, for me I was too skinny and would have to end up using my knee and elbow to brace myself around corners. I then added a 5-point and just got back from racing it at watkins glen on the 29th and 30th. The seats held up flawless.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://home.columbus.rr.com/trackbir...beau_seats.htm
Old 11-09-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the TRSs, and I love them. I guess it's up to the individual. You really can't ask someone else whether something is comfortable for them, in order to make your own decision, because they might totally work for you.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Anyone have any pictures of their seats they can post? I will be picking up some seats at some point, but I'm concerned about increased height as well. I have a friend who put an aftermerket set in a different car, and now can't fit in it with a helmet. Surely there's a seat created or advertised specifically for our cars?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold the Cobeau $100 adaptor that I bought with my seat.

I built my own out of 1/8" x 1 1/4 flat steel stock. I bought the stock from Home Depot.

If you look at teh 4 studs sticking up from the floor pan, envision a tic-tac-toe game laid out, where all the studs come through the "legs" of the tic-tac-toe layout. Mark where the holes go.

Now, place the Corbeau seat on the on the tic-tac-toe piece and adjust so that the mounting holes in the Corbeau slider and the steel frame match. Mark them.

Clamp everything together.

Weld it up, clean, sand, clean, prime and paint the frame. If you don't have a welder, with it well marked, any weld shop would weld it up for $20 or less.

Drill the holes.

Mount the seat to the frame and then the frame to the car.

I even bent my frame a little to contour with the floor pan. The seat sits 2" lower than my stock TA seat.

I was able to move the seat position further back andmoved it closer to the console than a stock seat. My elbow would the side bolster when I shifted from 1-2, 3-4 or 3-2, so I slightly turned the seat to give me more elbow room.

Don't ask for pics because I'm not willing to rip it all apart. It's easy to figure out.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lethalchem
Anyone have any pictures of their seats they can post? I will be picking up some seats at some point, but I'm concerned about increased height as well. I have a friend who put an aftermerket set in a different car, and now can't fit in it with a helmet. Surely there's a seat created or advertised specifically for our cars?

The loss of head room and everything is documented (from my car) right here:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/trackbir...beau_seats.htm
Old 11-12-2004, 07:05 AM
Launching!

I sat in quite a few at a local motorsports place.

Corbeau fabric is cheap and wears quickly. Most guys that have them in their cars (particularly the Forza, A4, and CR1) find the side bolsters being worn down prematurely. The A4 is a knock-off of the Sparco Torino, which has much better fabric IMO.

Another seat I was very impressed with was the Recaro Speed, which is replacing the older SRD model. It had a great overall grip and from what I understand they mount quite well in F-bodies. Not a full-out race seat, but it's most likely what I'll go with... if I end up having absolutely no talent at all when it comes to driving on a road course, if nothing else I'll still have seats that feel comfortable for street driving.

Here's a few pictures of Recaro SRD's in 2MCHPWR's car from FRRAX.com:

http://207.127.219.37/images/interior10.jpg
http://207.127.219.37/images/interior11.jpg
Old 11-12-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree, I was not impressed with the quality for the price I paid. I felt that they were made of cheap cloth and "junk" foam for padding. I didn't expect that they would last very long in my car. I really wanted to like those seats (after spending $900 on seats, sliders, shipping, etc), but I just couldn't (between the fit, and the way they were made).

Your results may vary.....
Old 11-12-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my Forza for 3 years w/o those issues.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Hey Mitch, you wouldn't be interested in doing an install on some a4s for me in my 1994 Trans Am? I am willing to pay.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by trax
I sat in quite a few at a local motorsports place.

Corbeau fabric is cheap and wears quickly. Most guys that have them in their cars (particularly the Forza, A4, and CR1) find the side bolsters being worn down prematurely. The A4 is a knock-off of the Sparco Torino, which has much better fabric IMO.

Another seat I was very impressed with was the Recaro Speed, which is replacing the older SRD model. It had a great overall grip and from what I understand they mount quite well in F-bodies. Not a full-out race seat, but it's most likely what I'll go with... if I end up having absolutely no talent at all when it comes to driving on a road course, if nothing else I'll still have seats that feel comfortable for street driving.

Here's a few pictures of Recaro SRD's in 2MCHPWR's car from FRRAX.com:

http://207.127.219.37/images/interior10.jpg
http://207.127.219.37/images/interior11.jpg

Those look very nice. And you say they seem to mount well in these cars from what you've seen, eh? I'm surprised there isn't already a "standard" brand that everyone already knows fits just right in F-bodies.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:24 AM
TECH Veteran

How much do those Recaros go for?
Old 11-14-2004, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I want to know also
Old 11-15-2004, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I want to know also
They look like they might be the cheapest Recaros available.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JackZ28
How much do those Recaros go for?

I just found them for $680 each (plus brackets and shipping).
Old 11-19-2004, 03:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by trackbird
I just found them for $680 each (plus brackets and shipping).
Thanks. I will just keep my TRSs! That's really not too bad, though, considering the fact that they're Recaros. I think I'd rather get Sparcos.

Quick Reply: Stock Camaro seats vs. Corbeau Seats