Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Im sick of warping stock rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im sick of warping stock rotors.

I drive pretty hard here around town. and im constantly warping rotors(stock). Im needing some good recomendations on what you autox guys use for brake systems. I wont be auto-xing much so the race pads wont be an issue. i would just need some good street pads.
S

TIA
Old 02-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Launching!

NM

search > me... opened my eyes.... 5 posts down.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Chances are you don't really warp your rotors. Here are some solutions that still apply to you:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/275889-upgrading-brakes-z06.html#post2488459
Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to get open top calipers like wilwoods...many other brands also out their. What happens is the air cannot flow through the rotors if the top of caliper is closed like most stock calipers. Not only does the rotor get super hot but if you are at a trackday you will boil the fluid in the caliper and melt seals.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make certain that you {or whom ever put your wheels on} are not over tightening your lug-nuts. My 2000 Firebird warped the rotors with-in 15K miles. I had them turned {which usually isn't a good idea especially since you can buy brand new rotors for 25 bucks apiece} and torqued them down to 90ftlbs with anti-seize as lubricant.

Don't really know how hard your idea of "hard driving" is but if you really get them hot, think about installing a set of brake ducts. I rigged up a set fairly cheaply {around 60 bucks} and combined with the extra attention to my lug-nut torque, I ran those same rotors untill I upgraded to Corvette rotor in the front a while back {about 30K miles and no warping}. I was running Hawk HP+ pads and I'm really hard on the brakes, I do some "spirited" runs up and down the mountains and I had a crap load of AutoX runs on them {around 200}.

If the attention to torque and the brake ducting doesn't do it for ya, go ahead and think about upgrading to larger rotors. LG Motorsports sells some caliper relocation brackets so that you can run Corvette rotors. I'm not sure how much they are as I bought mine used but it's alot cheaper than buying a aftermarket big brake kit. You might also want to check this link out-http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3844&

That link will take you to "FRRAX", a pretty cool F-Body site.

Last edited by Judd; 03-20-2005 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

For a cheep quick fix just go buy Auto Zone replacement rotors there heavier & wont warp. I know a few of us that have done this. But by no mean's would I do this for a road type of racing set up. But my cheepy rotors have been in there awhile. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Tons of guys I know use NAPA rotors at 25 ea. I have 63,000 on my car 99 vette and don't even know what a warped rotor feels like on it. Don't gey them hot then sit with your foot on the brake at a light. Don't get them hot then stop and put the E brake on. Get some air ducts from DRM and LGM.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Launching!

I too have warped rotors on my old Z28 and my Vette. I found that the autozone and Napa rotors work best for me during road coarse duty and street. Last alot longer than stock ones did from GM.

Derek

Quick Reply: Im sick of warping stock rotors.