Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Drifting a turn better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Pontiac
I live about 5 miles or so outside of city limits, I drive that stretch everyday. There's a lot of corners and it's all flat. I was headed to town about a year ago and I was aproaching a left turn around a hill (no visibility) when out in front of me about a 100 yards before I hit the corner, heading towards me, comes a little primer gray, body kitted, giant winged civic with too much speed and totally in MY lane if I were 5 seconds faster that day it would have been a head on collision.
what does a riced out civic have to do with drifting?

i think you have a problem stereotyping drifting with ricers, why dont you try this

1) quit stereotyping everyone/thing due to your ignorance

2) realize a civic is FWD, drifting is done with RWD cars

3) realize drifting is done for FUN, and in america all but 2 events have been won by a mustang/gto/viper

maybe you should quit being , and try to have fun. iether that or you did try drifting, realize its NOT easy, and you suck at it, therefore you try to constantly convince people drifting is gay hoping it doesnt become popular as you realize that you will never be good at it, similar to michintx who i have seen in every thread on this board comparing drifting to syncronized swimming since they are two judged sports, which is about as logical as comparing autocross to minesweeper since they both use the concept of shortest time wins.

drifting is about having fun, youd be amazed how fun it could be if you would pull the stick out your a$$ and give it a real try.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Synchronized swimming and drifting have a lot in common ...
about as much in common as gasoline and water mixing..

Since when is a subjectively judged "competition" considered a real sport? I mean, in poker, at least there is a clear winner ...
by this theory burnout contests/x-games/concous de elegance is stupid and gay as well.

Ice skating, gymnastics, drifting, dog shows, rural livestock shows are all about the same when it comes to "competition".
by this theory burnout contests/x-games/concous de elegance is stupid and gay as well.

Some "person" that has nothing to do with the training, driving or raising proclaims the winner. That is what is lame.
ugh, taisan yamada is a JGTC driver, but i guess JGTC is a lame and stupid form of racing, and he couldn't possibly know anything about driving, as well as ucci utsumi, oen of the top d1gp drivers from japan, knows nothing about drifting.

Sliding a car through a turn is a heckuva lot of fun. Appointing someone to proclaim I did it better than you is what is lame ...
if its any consolation to you, about 3 events ago we had 17 cars in the amateur competition, the guy that finished 17th had the same opinion as you do.

JMHO ...
well, at least you learned not to make your post claiming them as fact as seen in the past.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

now the only thing i really have to add to this thread is that

as a top 10 drifter in america and a former auto-x guy, the only time a drift will be faster around a corner is in situations with extremely limited traction or a surface that is not solid (dirt/rain/gravel) and your grip levels arent as high as on pavement with modern tires. although a small slip angle can be faster than none, but definately not the 40+degrees of angle that would be associated with drifting. that will never be faster on pavement, and since drifting is done on pavement drifting will never be faster.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
about as much in common as gasoline and water mixing..
And drifting and road racing ...

I think you are geting it ... finally

I think you are getting it ... finally

ugh, taisan yamada is a JGTC driver, but i guess JGTC is a lame and stupid form of racing, and he couldn't possibly know anything about driving, as well as ucci utsumi, oen of the top d1gp drivers from japan, knows nothing about drifting.
I'm not sure if you mispelled, mis-typed, or just made that up.

If it's correct, they certainly aren't household names ... well any house I've ever been in.

But you go ahead and worship your demi-Gods ... I'll stick with Shumacher, Said, Gigliotti and Covini ...

if its any consolation to you, about 3 events ago we had 17 cars in the amateur competition, the guy that finished 17th had the same opinion as you do.
What a coincidence ... last weekend at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, near Tulsa, Oklahoma, we had 31 American Iron, American Extreme and Camaro/Mustang Challenge cars. Positions 1 through 31 had the same opinion as me as well. Small world, eh?

well, at least you learned not to make your post claiming them as fact as seen in the past.
At least you are consitent and persistent.
Keep posting, it's a nice diversion ...
Old 09-24-2005, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

wow this sure turned into a fight huh?? here's what i have found: drifting IS fun and quite difficult the first couple times i tried but its not the fastest way anound a turn. however, i have used it at my local road course and GAINED time on other cars, BUT only on one certain type of turn (that i have found). on a high speed turn (about 120 degrees) where you would have built enough speed to have to slightly brake for this turn i have found that instead of braking abruptly lifting off of the gas to transfer the weight forwad then turn in the tail will slide (not very much) then just floor it and exit. note: this technique involves NO E-brake yanking, swerving, or clutch kicking. one guy at a track day said it was kyichi suchia style (another name i probably hacked). well thats MY take just an opinion!..... no arguments accepted!
Old 09-24-2005, 04:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Road racing is about car management. Keeping the car under you for the WHOLE race.

SLiding the car through turns heats up and greases up the tires. While you might be faster through a turn a time or two, eventually your tires will lose grip because they are over-heated or worn out. Then you will suck through the rest of the course.

There is a reason drifting "races" are typically only 2 laps in length ... the tires are **** after the 2nd lap ...
Old 09-24-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Part 1 (relevant to the original question)

Your tires generate the most grip when they are sliding ever so slightly, right before they let go. Watch just about any motor racing and watch the tires, you can tell the cars are sliding just a bit. Once that traction is overcome, the car no longer carries any forward momentum, and ends up in a wall or spinning.

Rally style drifting is about controlling forward momentum when lateral and forward traction are limited, so they do things differently.

Drifting is about overcoming the lateral traction limits in the rear long before the front. The car will never be as fast around any track as it could be once this is done, as ROUGHLY 50% of the cars lateral traction is gone, not to mention the traction remaining in the front is being used to keep the rear of the car from passing the front.

Part 2 (my feeling on drifting)
Gymnastics is a sport.... I couldn't do that if I took as many drugs as a baseball player
Bowling is sport, but it can be dominated by a fat dude who has never seen his feet.
Both are on ESPN.

Bowling is precise, the best way to do it is knock down all the pins,
Gymnastics is precise, but the best way to escape a tiger is to run or shoot it, not dazzle it with flips and ribbons.

Drifting is a motor sport. Its precise, requires skill, but sure isn't the fastest way around the track. I consider myself a good autocrosser, and I wouldn't be caught dead driving my car in a drifting competition. I wouldn't mind trying it on someone else's dime, but it doesn't seem like the best use of my tires, and I'm all about fast, not show.

I do agree that drifting has its job set out for it as far as converting or drawing American 'go fast, home of NHRA' motor sports enthusiasts. And they do need to get rid of the judges (IMO figure skating and all judges sports need something a little less opinionated than a human, but what can they do?) .

Drifting has the availability of sensors, gps, accelerometers...etc. Technology CAN figure out the winner of a drifting competition, and from what I have read, that sport is moving in that direction.

Now will I ever swap a b1dsf3223422 engine into my z28 and step onto the drifting track? Nope, but that's just me and my wallet.

I'm a fan of anything that draws people to compete in motor sports, even if its something that many people feel is silly.... hell look at gymkhana in Europe... there is no point in that at all, but it sure looks fun.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Veteran

now the only thing i really have to add to this thread is that

as a top 10 drifter in america and a former auto-x guy, the only time a drift will be faster around a corner is in situations with extremely limited traction or a surface that is not solid (dirt/rain/gravel) and your grip levels arent as high as on pavement with modern tires. although a small slip angle can be faster than none, but definately not the 40+degrees of angle that would be associated with drifting. that will never be faster on pavement, and since drifting is done on pavement drifting will never be faster.
talk about straight from the horses mouth, thanks man. while drifting has its "cool" factor, someone had a good way of putting it... there sure is a better way to use those tires. ill give you all that it takes A LOT of skill but so does going 300mph ina strait line, pulling 3g's in a turn, etc, etc... each sport has a specific skill that they need to excel in that sport.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

While I am no expert in any of this I would have to say that I think every style has it place. and what might work for one person doesn't always work for another. Personally when ever I find a place to work on my drifting i take advantage of it. I think it's fun and it also help me understand how the car responds. Knowing how to drift has helped me out in rainy and snowy conditions. If you don't know how to your car/truck/SUV responds in a given condition then how are you going to react in when your find your self in that situation? even just driving normal traffic there are time that you must swerve to avoid a wreck or something in the road. on a normal road this is no big deal at speeds around 30 mph but on a highway you are going at speed up to 80mph when you swerve and brake traction you have little time to respond and other people around you. How you respond could get someone killed. while I can point out all sorts of situations where knowing how to handle a car in a slide could keep you from wrecking your car and other cars. you may not agree with me. Next time your driving in the winter look at how many 4X4 and awd cars are in the ditch. I drove my Camaro through 2 Alaskan winters with out going in a ditch once and only because I understood how the car responds in a slide. I wouldn't win any autocross or D1 races but I can keep my car on the road. I agree that Drifting builds up no speed and that in a autox it's all about your line. But I feel that it's stupid to write off drifting as just some homo technique, That's vary short sighted
Old 09-25-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Well i would like to know who here has tried drifting??? has anyone tried it here?? try going 100+mph into a turn sideways and still trying to gain speed, I used to think the same thing about drifting untill i rode in a car and it was a blast. to see who smooth and fluid it is and how they still have to hit the apex of the turn, you still need to set up for the rest of the track, you still have clipping point and apex to hit, if you dont you are of for your next turn. here is alil vid i found of a caddy drifting, i have seen this car in person and is great and also no Ebrake as alot of people think you use. When i saw it at ODS it was doing top of 3rd gear on the rev limiter, in that car that is 98mph stock. i am not sure what else has been done to the car, but hope you like there lil intro vid. thanks

http://www.dtmpowerracing.com/moorem...portspress.mpg
http://www.okifx.com/public/videos/O...vs.%20Dado.wmv
Old 09-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Well i havnt done anything pro like that..... but I have played around with it alot i've gone threw a few sets of tired just learning how not to wreck. I havnt done anything faster than 2nd gear. Im no pro like I said but I have drifted had my own personal race course for a couple of days (the Alcan.....the alaskan canadian hyway) when I was driving to my parents

Last edited by Shadow's SS; 09-25-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

And drifting and road racing ...
There is a reason drifting "races" are typically only 2 laps in length ... the tires are **** after the 2nd lap ...

drifting is NOT racing, YOU are the only one pushing this misconception in this thread. and YOU are the one apparently arguing yourself that drifting and road racing have anything in common, who has siad this in this thread? drifting is a judged sport, racing has a timer. freestyle moto has judges, moto-x has a finish line.

I'm not sure if you mispelled, mis-typed, or just made that up.
well....

Some "person" that has nothing to do with the training, driving or raising proclaims the winner. That is what is lame.
you claim the "persons" who proclaim the winner (i.e. judges) have no clue what they are doing, i stated a fact, which is several of them compete/have competed/have WON in JGTC and do drifting related activities as a fun leisure activity. as with most of my replies to your posts, just a matter of facts replacing your ignorant preconception you try to pass off as fact.

If it's correct, they certainly aren't household names ... well any house I've ever been in.

But you go ahead and worship your demi-Gods ... I'll stick with Shumacher, Said, Gigliotti and Covini ...
ughhh, i told you who formula d judges are, the only thing i worship has nothing to do with cars. thanks for informing me of my off-track lifestyle for me

What a coincidence ... last weekend at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, near Tulsa, Oklahoma, we had 31 American Iron, American Extreme and Camaro/Mustang Challenge cars. Positions 1 through 31 had the same opinion as me as well. Small world, eh?
1-31 said they sucked at drifting therefore didnt like it?

At least you are consitent and persistent.
Keep posting, it's a nice diversion ...
diversion from WHAT? fact that drifting has been in america for 2 years and already has national televised coverage and this bothers you? drifting is here, its growing, sorry you missed out on it, quit tryignto shoot it down with lies jargon and your uninformed opinion.

YOU posted some misinformation, i corrected it. YOU dont like drifting because YOU cannot do it, and it bothers YOU. doesnt mean YOU need to post about it in every thread concearning anything drift related.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rushman
Now will I ever swap a b1dsf3223422 engine into my z28 and step onto the drifting track? Nope, but that's just me and my wallet.

what is your logic in this statement? ls1 is imho one of the best engines for drifting available , id like to put one in a smaller lighter car but the rules will not allow it next year, but i do not understand your logic with this statement. ls1 is light, takes one hell of a beating, and has a huuuuge broad powerband , especially with a magna charger, and from my experience it works totally fkn awesome, much better than a sr20 or 4age found in a nissan 240 or toyota corolla, requiring you to keep it in the 3k rpm or less powerband all the time.

this is not intedned as a flame or anything, i just didn tunderstand where your coming from at all, the rest of your post was well put and thought out.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by A502slo
i have seen this car in person and is great and also no Ebrake as alot of people think you use. When i saw it at ODS it was doing top of 3rd gear on the rev limiter, in that car that is 98mph stock. i am not sure what else has been done to the car, but hope you like there lil intro vid. thanks

before anyonw tries to flame this guy, thats 98 mph of wheelspeed, NOT actual speed (obvious in teh video).

afaik dado's car is a ctsv with exhaust, (ls6 doesnt need much), and a decent amount of suspension and steering modification, and gutted liek a champ.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Listen little mike....go post in a drifting forum then...accept the fact that there are people that dont give a **** how good "drifter" you are...drift could be fun but belive me it gets really boring after a while even if there is a Viper, GTO or any other domestic. Triyng to convince people who DONT like that **** makes you look pathetic...I think your brain just "drifted" out of your skull....On a side note Ive never seen Car Craft, Hot Rod or Popular Hotrodding making any substantial article on that, just a few now and then...
Old 09-25-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i never thought i would see someone who understanded this on this site.

thank you!
Are you really "bubadrift"?

EDIT:
From what Ive seen the main reason people call drifting "gay" is because of the cars, and crowds it draws.
They see the big ricer-like wing, ricer stickers and body kits and are just turn off by it. And next, its every rice-boys wet dream to be a drifter, which is also another turn off.
I have huge respect for for drifing, just as auto-x etc. it does take talent and control.

Last edited by JD_AMG; 09-25-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't say those guys had no clue. I said they had nothing to do with actually driving the car.

Curious, when I see 2 of these "drifters" run 2 laps and they post a time, what do you call that?

1-31 said they sucked at drifting therefore didnt like it?
No, they agree with me that drifting is lame.

You didn't score well in the reading/comprehension section of the SATs, did you.

You are so easy ... But I like your passion ...
Old 09-25-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

YOU dont like drifting because YOU cannot do it, and it bothers YOU. doesnt mean YOU need to post about it in every thread concearning anything drift related.
LOL ...

I think it would be a real hoot for you to follow me down the front straight at Texas World Speedway and follow me through T1 and 2 ...
Old 09-25-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

before anyonw tries to flame this guy, thats 98 mph of wheelspeed, NOT actual speed (obvious in teh video).

afaik dado's car is a ctsv with exhaust, (ls6 doesnt need much), and a decent amount of suspension and steering modification, and gutted liek a champ.
Mike hate to flame you back, but that ctsv only has susp mods, stock steering, no mods there. also the inside of that car still has ac,cc,nav,radio,and all power doorlocks and windows. well anyywas seem the car is badass. and yes sorry 98mph wheel speed. but still top of 3rd gear on a bank track is still pretty good to me. car has 275/18s out back so it has to be picking up alot of speed. but that just my .02 i cant drift maybe power over but thats about it
Old 09-25-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by A502slo
Mike hate to flame you back, but that ctsv only has susp mods, stock steering, no mods there. also the inside of that car still has ac,cc,nav,radio,and all power doorlocks and windows. well anyywas seem the car is badass. and yes sorry 98mph wheel speed. but still top of 3rd gear on a bank track is still pretty good to me. car has 275/18s out back so it has to be picking up alot of speed. but that just my .02 i cant drift maybe power over but thats about it

ugh , i didnt flame you, i was just keeping people from tryign to make a lame argument.

and i thought the car had steering mods? it has more steering angle than the elco does..? if so thats super sweet.

Quick Reply: Drifting a turn better?