Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Drifting a turn better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The funniness of it would be determined by knowing the if the guy was ok or not. And that is not what I think of when I think drifting.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chaman
my point exactly. Drifting is to me more of a fleeting fashion than anything. It will be over before you know it. As it becomes less popular in american crowds less sponsors will be interested.
is this why GM and mopar both have factory backed programs since the beginning, yet in road racing they are pulling the plug left and right on programs? ford jumped in this year as well.

is this also why FOX and ESPN are wanting to do drift events next year?

myth busted, sorry.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
Drifting is

okay....

When did going as fast as you can around corners with exquisit and superb TRACTION ever go out of style?
nascar/cart/irl/speedgt/f1 is out of style? man i thought they were doing pretty well.

It's fun to do... it's fun to watch... but it's way over rated. It's hardly a useful technique.
1) read thread

2) show me where someone is debating that it is a useful teqnique that everyone needs to know, whe in reality its a fun release vs goign laps at a time in the same boring manner benig held back by the limits of your car

Being one of the Top 10 Gran Turismo 4 Drifters in America, I feel have the credibility to say this.
okay, you said drifting is gay.

and i think everyone will agree that what you just said is really gay.

thus this woudl be one of the gayest statements i have read in my life. some vids would be cool though , also what setups are you running on what cars? i just started driftign on gt4 during hurricane rita about a week ago, i cant link courses laps at a time on every course like gt3 but im getting there, i dont think im hitting the setups correct though, gt4 doesnt seem to like realistic car setups in relation to drifting (i.e. a good grip car doesnt drift well)

Besides like everything else the Japanese stole the idea of drifting from us.... Americans have been drifting for years... except we called it Midget Car racing.
so now the japanese are theives? drifting is on pavement, i didnt know midget car RACING was a judged style competion done on pavement, when did this happen? was this before/after the demise of cart/irl/nascar/speedgt/f1?

summary

get a clue
Old 10-01-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Prosocutions exhibit A: Why drifting is ******* gay.
I ruL3z @t dR1fTiNG yO!
wow, i didnt know drifting was done in a 1st gear donut, looks to me like some n00b in another coutnry (probably italy IIRC) diong a donut b/c he cant drift and running himself over b/c hes a n00b.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:10 PM
dug
Banned

Anyone that hates driftn in nutn but a lil bitch.

Seriously, Why would you care otherwise? It iz what it iz. It aint some jap thing or an asian thang. Its a car thang. All about lettn it all hang out. And havn some fun.

Last edited by dug; 10-01-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:01 PM
drz
On The Tree

mitchntx,

I expect there are a lot of people on this board that share your sentiments toward drifting. But to their credit, they are leaving this thread and others like it to those who are giving it a chance. You have associated Drifting with the likes of synchronized swimming and x-games, but of those sports, you are only taking time out of your day to vocalize your rude and presumptuous opinions about drifting. Why? Why not branch out and thug it up on some synchronized swimming boards and free-syle scateboarding boards and rant about why you think THEIR sport is gay and not worth doing? But you don't, probably because at some level, i hope, you respect anyone who truely enjoys what they are doing. It's obvious that anyone who participates in drifting is doing it because it is fun to them, but why can't you leave it at that? Why take the time and yell "drifting is gay!" every chance you get on these boards when there are apparently so many other sports and activities out there that you hold equally "gay" or even more so? Don't those deserve your attention as well? What makes drifting so special and deserving of so much of your attention? The sport of drifting does need to concern people such as yourself, and a reasonable person would just leave it alone, no matter how convinient it is to spout his animosity.

You clearly don't appreciate drifting. That's fine. But you are making no effort to fully understand the sport before standing on your soap box. That is not fine. So please, leave drifting to those that appreciate the sport or are willing to give it a chance, just as you leave X-games to the people that appreciate those sports. There's no sense in trying to make peoples' minds up for them before they have a chance to consider it for themselves.

On the other hand, there are people that have made it their agenda to crush the sport of drifting because they and their "proper" car racing ideals somehow feal threatened by the growing motorsport. This mentality is also known as xenophobia. Are you one of those people?

Derrick
Old 10-01-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

is this why GM and mopar both have factory backed programs since the beginning, yet in road racing they are pulling the plug left and right on programs? ford jumped in this year as well.

is this also why FOX and ESPN are wanting to do drift events next year?

myth busted, sorry.
Really?? According to whom....you??? Have you ever heard of marketing?? Same reasons why GM has a Cobalt and Mopar has a SRT4 ...TRENDS!! Got it?? Does this means they would last??? You are a pitiful joke...get a life... Face it...a lot of people find it BORING.......as are your "down the thoat" reasons to justify your sport as the ****...

My God people....funny how some guys (that aparently cant deal with criticism) insist on over-explaining how serious and wonderful the world of drifting is....just making a fool of yourselves...get it in your "drifting" brain.....some dont give a drifting **** of your sport....this is my last post in this stupid thread.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:28 PM
drz
On The Tree

Really?? According to whom....you??? Have you ever heard of marketing?? Same reasons why GM has a Cobalt and Mopar has a SRT4 ...TRENDS!! Got it?? Does this means they would last???
Is your narrow opinion sufficient evidence to indicate that it won't last?

some dont give a drifting **** of your sport....
I assume you consider yourself one of them. Then why are you even posting here? Seriously, this thread is no better thanks to your participation. But I'll bet that was your intention, or ill-intention.

this is my last post in this stupid thread.
Many thanks! You won't be missed.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of, your post count of 2 and them being only in this thread says a lot about your motivation for being here. LS1Tech is about those that contribute.

Your post is very articulate and thoughtful. It wasn't condeming nor attacking. I appreciate that. If you go back and read my posts, I don't think I attacked any individual, just posted my opinions about the exhibition called drifting.

I don't post about ice skating, synchronized swimming or X-games because quite frankly, those folks don't come into my "backyard" and try and promote it in a road racing forum. It's not road racing ...

If this were posted in the General Discussion area or similar, it wouldn't merit my attention.

And to be consistent, I do the same thing to street racers who "identify" with road racers. I feel it brings me down ...

I would have to go back and look, but I don't think I ever used the word "gay" ... if I did, that is atypical of me.

And, for what it's worth, I have competed in lots of competition where "drifting" was the norm. I raced econo late models at dirt tracks all over east Texas. The difference being, it didn't require a 3rd party to decide who won. It was me looking for a checkered flag ... so, I DO appreciate drifting when it's done in a real competitive environment.

And, if you go back and read closely, that is the part of drifting I do not like. It's a judged event. It's not so much about skill, but rather presentation. What's "competitive" about that?

Did you guys tell Dean I said hello?

Originally Posted by drz
mitchntx,

I expect there are a lot of people on this board that share your sentiments toward drifting. But to their credit, they are leaving this thread and others like it to those who are giving it a chance. You have associated Drifting with the likes of synchronized swimming and x-games, but of those sports, you are only taking time out of your day to vocalize your rude and presumptuous opinions about drifting. Why? Why not branch out and thug it up on some synchronized swimming boards and free-syle scateboarding boards and rant about why you think THEIR sport is gay and not worth doing? But you don't, probably because at some level, i hope, you respect anyone who truely enjoys what they are doing. It's obvious that anyone who participates in drifting is doing it because it is fun to them, but why can't you leave it at that? Why take the time and yell "drifting is gay!" every chance you get on these boards when there are apparently so many other sports and activities out there that you hold equally "gay" or even more so? Don't those deserve your attention as well? What makes drifting so special and deserving of so much of your attention? The sport of drifting does need to concern people such as yourself, and a reasonable person would just leave it alone, no matter how convinient it is to spout his animosity.

You clearly don't appreciate drifting. That's fine. But you are making no effort to fully understand the sport before standing on your soap box. That is not fine. So please, leave drifting to those that appreciate the sport or are willing to give it a chance, just as you leave X-games to the people that appreciate those sports. There's no sense in trying to make peoples' minds up for them before they have a chance to consider it for themselves.

On the other hand, there are people that have made it their agenda to crush the sport of drifting because they and their "proper" car racing ideals somehow feal threatened by the growing motorsport. This mentality is also known as xenophobia. Are you one of those people?

Derrick
Old 10-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Did you guys tell Dean I said hello?
It's been awhile since i've seen him, but i've got some video of him at one of our first drift events when he took out his b4c /lt1/t56 3rd gen. It's one of our first videos, it's of domestics drifting (and the drifting isn't very good by current standards). Video can be downloaded here (dean's is the black 3rd gen): http://www.bubbadrift.com/album/disp...album=11&pos=0

First of, your post count of 2 and them being only in this thread says a lot about your motivation for being here. LS1Tech is about those that contribute.
We've been one of the first domestic drifters (me, Dr.z, and mikespeed are all friends) and have had to put up with a lot of negative comments from both domestic and import people. We've had to be the ones to correct misinformation about drifting, and sometimes we can be too defensive. Dr. Z owns an ls1 (that he is doing a swap on). He registered to defend his friends and a sport he cares about. He's lurked on this forum for a couple of years at least.

FWIW this forum has been a life-saver for us. We've been out of town at events, when something broke - and been able to get info and help for others to get us back in the competition.

We don't tend to start drifting threads, but we will chime in when we see one.

James Evans
www.BubbaDrift.com
Old 10-02-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fair enough ...
Old 10-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.flurl.com/uploaded/BMW_Drifting_641.html

I rest my case . . .
Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Prosocutions exhibit A: Why drifting is ******* gay.
I ruL3z @t dR1fTiNG yO!
Sorry Cal little late on the post about the BMW...
Old 10-04-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

He's old and slow ... like me ...
Old 10-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by will69camaro
Sorry Cal little late on the post about the BMW...
Whoops
Old 10-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mitchntx
He's old and slow ... like me ...
Careful, the truth hurts . . .
Old 10-05-2005, 01:57 PM
drz
On The Tree

Take it for what you will, but I'm defending some friends and a sport that I'm passionate about. If that's not justifiable motivation, then I don't know what is. As for my being on the boards at all, I do have an LS1, and like James said, I've been lurking on the board for years.
I don't post about ice skating, synchronized swimming or X-games because quite frankly, those folks don't come into my "backyard" and try and promote it in a road racing forum. It's not road racing ...
So let me get this straight, it is somehow inappropriate to post about a motorsport in an automotive forum? I'm not following you here. Drifting is real, and it can involve the cars belonging to nearly every member of these forums. It involves cars being driven at their limits around corners - there is indeed a difference between road-racing in execution, but to be fair, you can't call DE or lapping-events real road racing because there are no timers or winners, just as you can't call drifting practice days as drifting competitions because there are no judges or winners. What you are sorely misunderstanding is that you can participate in drifting just for fun without ever entering a competition, and many people do just that. Unlike road racing, drifting is more about the fun, not about the competition. You emphasize the competitive aspect of the sport far to much. But it's already clear that your road-racer-win-win-win! attitude is having difficulty understanding a motorsport where the majority of the participants couldn't care less about competition and the judges, points, and everything else about it that you seem to have a problem with.
If this were posted in the General Discussion area or similar, it wouldn't merit my attention.
You forget that the topic started as a question regarding the act of drifting in a road-race scenario. It started as a very valid road-racing topic, even by your standards. A few drifting enthusiasts even chimed in and emphasized what you already know to be true, that drifting a corner on pavement is far slower than attacking it in a conventional manner. So what's the problem here? Seems to me you are getting all uptight and defensive at the very mention of the word "drifting", and couldn't care less about it's actual application - even in road-racing.

I'm also not following you on the General Discussion thing. Drifting is a motorsport with cars being driven to their limits around corners. While it's not racing, neither are DE events. But IMO, the two motorsports share a great deal in common, like the importance of car set-up, racing line, braking zones, tire choice, and driver safety. Wouldn’t it make sense to exchange knowledge and experience on these elements in a forum frequented by people most familiar?
And to be consistent, I do the same thing to street racers who "identify" with road racers. I feel it brings me down ...
So now you're associating drifting with street-racing? Or are you afraid of drifting being associated with road-racing? Be reasonable - when has drifting ever been "identified" with road-racing except in certain elements of driving execution?
I would have to go back and look, but I don't think I ever used the word "gay" ... if I did, that is atypical of me.
No, but you have called it "lame" and spouted other inferious analogies to the same.
And, if you go back and read closely, that is the part of drifting I do not like. It's a judged event.
No, not necessarily. Just as DE events aren't timed. It appears that when you hear of "drifting" you think of judges and points and figure-skating. You need to open your eyes and realize that the spirit of drifting lies not in competition but in simple participation and having fun. All but a very few events in this country these days are serious competitions, and most drifters hold no agenda to be better than the next guy. Everyone shares their experiences, discoveries, and techniques openly, and in general it is a tight community with very, very few rivalries. Everyone strives to improve their skills because the experience becomes more enjoyable the better you get.
It's not so much about skill, but rather presentation. What's "competitive" about that?
So you are saying that there's no skill in presentation? Sorry, but until you can speak otherwise from experience, there is serious skill needed to simply navigate a technical drift course in a consistent manner, and that speaks nothing of "presentation".
Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Jesus....these guys are starting to get very annoying....u know what is getting more BORING than drifting??? YOU...!!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Post #3

My eyes were open, but I can't see anything for the judges holding up 9.5, 9.0 and 10.0, which are respectable scores.

If you read my post in context and not invent things or embellish, I never equated drifting to street racing, just that I have a similar disdain for street racing.

I don't like raw oysters either, would you somehow make a long leap to connect those. It would be interesting to see how far your mind "drifts" to achieve it.

So you are saying that there's no skill in presentation? Sorry, but until you can speak otherwise from experience, there is serious skill needed to simply navigate a technical drift course in a consistent manner, and that speaks nothing of "presentation".
I am speaking from experience. I ran Econo Late models at a local dirt track. Ever watch a spring car? Now THAT's drifting ...
Old 10-06-2005, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Drifting is just a different sport. Not faster through the turns, that's all. People do it for show and to have fun. It's a hobby, and it does take some sort of skill. Especially when your tires are screaming for mercy. But the point about the car reaching it's limits, I'd have to disagree with that. Once the car is sliding, you are past the car's limits and when the car drifts, the driver is merely controlling the slide to avoid a catastrophe.

Quick Reply: Drifting a turn better?