Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Drifting a turn better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
LOL ...

I think it would be a real hoot for you to follow me down the front straight at Texas World Speedway and follow me through T1 and 2 ...

in what car? my stock 130whp 240sx? i wouldnt want you to get passed by something like that...

how about auto-x, which requires actual skill besides an open lapping day at tws.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chaman
drift could be fun but belive me it gets really boring after a while even if there is a Viper, GTO or any other domestic.
ive been doing it for a little over a year now, i havent gotten remotely anything except ecstatic.

Hot Rod or Popular Hotrodding making any substantial article on that

ugh

thats page 3&4 of the 4 page article in hot rod last year on us....its kinda hard to do more articles when a majority of the people owning the cars are too stubborn/ignorant to participate in the "ricer sport" because they think of it on a competitive level, when in reality there are practice events all over the country, just like your open lapping days at the local road course, but since nobody even bothers to look into it, they just persecute drifting as a "judged" sport full of "ricers and big aluminum wings"
Old 09-26-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Are you really "bubadrift"?
if it wasnt me i would have been called out by now, or at least i hope i would lol.

EDIT:
From what Ive seen the main reason people call drifting "gay" is because of the cars, and crowds it draws.
what kind of crowd do you speak of? have you ever been to an event? i was easily the crowd favorite at atlanta, come to an event , i guarantee it will NOT be what you expect (except the car show, those are normally gay)

They see the big ricer-like wing
several of the drivers are former rally guys, and use the wings with clear lexan you cant really see to create rear downforce making grip allowing more speed and more use of full throttle which in turn makes more smoke.

video to example, listen to throttle input

http://www.gtodrift.com/images/events/FDNJ/Rhys_1.wmv

ricer stickers
ugh, those are called "sponsors", the events are nationally televised, and fully covered by several magazines, as well as sporadic bits elsewhere, companies want exposure and they throw a lot of money at it.

and body kits
by this comment, you would be ultra turned off to the transam due to its body kit it comes with

And next, its every rice-boys wet dream to be a drifter, which is also another turn off.
tahts why they drive civics (fwd) and you have a real wheel drive car.

I have huge respect for for drifing, just as auto-x etc. it does take talent and control.
awesome, but seriously come to an event, i guarantee you your misconceptions will be blown away and you will have a extremely fun time
Old 09-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Howdy,
Thought i'd chime in here some and back mike up. My name is James, I own and built the el camino in Bubba Drift, Mike is the driver (and has put us on the map big time this last season). It was originally built as a low budget auto-xer with me and some friends driving it. Then we got into drifting.

Auto-x is a lot of fun, but drifting has been more fun and has allowed us to get sponsored ( we went through over 150 tires this last season in 15+ events). I was very skeptical of drifting at the start ( i actually thought it was stupid as well). But then i went to one and watched. It is the most enjoyable motorsport that i have ever watched. It also takes some of the most skill to do. I can auto-x pretty well, but when it comes to drifting it is obvious that i am not very good.

The fact that it is so fun to watch is what is making the sport grow so fast. We have been at the events for a couple of years now. At the beginning it was all ricers and young males that fit the stereotype. Now i see families going to events that look like they are average people. It is growing because it is fun to watch.

So, you can say that you are a purist who wants nothing to do with drifting. Fine, but don't post misinformation about drifting. Go do your other motorsports, without sponsors or people who pay to watch. We will go have fun, with sponsors giving us parts and paying us. We will have fans that appreciate us, and line up for autographs. The fans can tell who wins without lap times.

I have had many people PM me from this forum and others who want to get into drifting, but feel as though it is a dirty little secret - they don't want other people to know.

We should be able to post information about drifting without having others come in and bully us with bad comments. Do we come in every post about auto-xing or road racing and start crap?

james
www.BubbaDrift.com
Old 09-26-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I didn't say those guys had no clue. I said they had nothing to do with actually driving the car.
how can you compete in JGTC and not know anything about driving? im not even gonna try to understand how you think a top former d1 driver doesnt understand drifting.

Curious, when I see 2 of these "drifters" run 2 laps and they post a time, what do you call that?[/quote]

post a time??????

drifting is not timed , it never has been, i would like to see what you saw because im calling bullshit. again, stop tryign to post your ignorance, ideas and jargon as an accurate depiction.

No, they agree with me that drifting is lame.
out of those 31 people, how many have been at an event, much less participated at one? im gonna guess zero.

You didn't score well in the reading/comprehension section of the SATs, did you.
actually i slept thru that section actually, and scored a 1090
Old 09-26-2005, 03:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal
Being able to control a car in a slide is more of a recovery technique than a "go fast" technique.
The likes of Collin MacRae and Marcus Gronholm would likely disagress.

Originally Posted by Cal
If you sucessfully recover from a slide, that only means you recovered from your own mistake.
Hardly, if the slide was deliberate then how is it a mistake?

Originally Posted by Cal
The guy that got around the turn at max speed without breaking traction is already ahead of you.
This would depend, on the location, surface and type of car.

Most modern circuit racing, drifting is not a good idea.

However have you ever seen classic GT and open top racers 50's/60's and even into the 70's? They move about a great deal on the track.

Cars like the Aston DBR5 and Jaguar C and D Types required them to 'drift' to get the maximum speed from them.

If you're trying to get a car round a corner like this:

You have to do this:

If you don't belive me, go and watch some rallying and classic GT racing and you'll see what I mean.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know who you guys are, now ... Tell Dean Yamada hello for me.
And he might even give you a little insight into just how inept I am ...

You guys are agrueing that drifting is NOT road racing and trust me, I do agree. But you do realize you are posting this non road racing stuff in the road racing section, right?

As far as a lapping day at TWS ... nice try at an insult. I'm 6th in season points in the Camaro/Mustang Challenge series ... you now, REAL wheel to wheel racing?

I also instruct for the Texas Driving Experience ( www.texasdrivingexperience.com ). It used to be the Panoz Driving School ... it's a paying gig!

A wise man once said ... "Never argue with ignorant people. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

So before I get "experienced" further, I think I will get up and move along ...

CYA at the track ...
Old 09-26-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
if it wasnt me i would have been called out by now, or at least i hope i would lol.
Well, this is the internet, the wonderful world of "say anything you want."
Anyway, its an honor to be talking to you then.

what kind of crowd do you speak of? have you ever been to an event? i was easily the crowd favorite at atlanta, come to an event , i guarantee it will NOT be what you expect (except the car show, those are normally gay)
The car shows are what Im talking about, mostly rice. Im just talking from watching TV.

several of the drivers are former rally guys, and use the wings with clear lexan you cant really see to create rear downforce making grip allowing more speed and more use of full throttle which in turn makes more smoke.

video to example, listen to throttle input

http://www.gtodrift.com/images/events/FDNJ/Rhys_1.wmv
I never said the wing was not functional, but many see it that way.

ugh, those are called "sponsors", the events are nationally televised, and fully covered by several magazines, as well as sporadic bits elsewhere, companies want exposure and they throw a lot of money at it.
Again, I didnt mean to come off like that, Im not talking from my point of view, I know they are sponsors.

by this comment, you would be ultra turned off to the transam due to its body kit it comes with
The very subtle side skirt and larger wing? No.
Im not talking about small body mods, Im talking about in-your-face body kits that look like crap. Most of the cars look good IMO.

awesome, but seriously come to an event, i guarantee you your misconceptions will be blown away and you will have a extremely fun time
If they are any in my area, I plan on being there.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

what is your logic in this statement? ls1 is imho one of the best engines for drifting available , id like to put one in a smaller lighter car but the rules will not allow it next year, but i do not understand your logic with this statement. ls1 is light, takes one hell of a beating, and has a huuuuge broad powerband , especially with a magna charger, and from my experience it works totally fkn awesome, much better than a sr20 or 4age found in a nissan 240 or toyota corolla, requiring you to keep it in the 3k rpm or less powerband all the time.

this is not intedned as a flame or anything, i just didn tunderstand where your coming from at all, the rest of your post was well put and thought out
It was a joke. I poke at 'ricers' since drifting is seen as a ricer sport by most of the domestic crowd (just like bowling is seen as drinking sport by everyone in the...... um, well all crowds :-) )

If you read around I have a hard time posting in serious threads without attempting to bring a little levity in. I don't have anything against drifting, or the people that do drift.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
ive been doing it for a little over a year now, i havent gotten remotely anything except ecstatic.
Well thats right...YOU. If that floats your boat great. You just have a little problem accepting the fact that other people have a different opinion

ugh

thats page 3&4 of the 4 page article in hot rod last year on us....its kinda hard to do more articles when a majority of the people owning the cars are too stubborn/ignorant to participate in the "ricer sport" because they think of it on a competitive level, when in reality there are practice events all over the country, just like your open lapping days at the local road course, but since nobody even bothers to look into it, they just persecute drifting as a "judged" sport full of "ricers and big aluminum wings"
And I got that magazine...and yes I read it! Any other articles worth mentioning??? my point exactly. Drifting is to me more of a fleeting fashion than anything. It will be over before you know it. As it becomes less popular in american crowds less sponsors will be interested. Good luck with your "drifting" career...literally
Old 09-26-2005, 11:59 PM
dug
Banned

Do f-bodys make for good drift cars?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Launching!

And I got that magazine...and yes I read it! Any other articles worth mentioning??? my point exactly. Drifting is to me more of a fleeting fashion than anything. It will be over before you know it. As it becomes less popular in american crowds less sponsors will be interested. Good luck with your "drifting" career...literally
Actually we were approached by several other large name domestic car magazines, including one that wanted to use us on the cover but they won't use black cars on covers (hurts sales). Sport Truck magazine did a photo shoot of us recently, and it should be out some time in the future. Flowmaster is one of our sponsors, and they will be using us in part of their TV comercials and have taken out full page adds in a new drifting magazine that is set to hit news stands Nov 1st. We will be in both Flowmaster's and Cooper Tires calenders next year.

This sport is gaining popularity, look at the amount of drift cars at SEMA last year, and there will be many more this year (possibly including us). We got in on the ground floor and have been riding it along.

And as far as Mike's drifting career - he has several offers of being PAID to drive next year.

I can understand if you do not like drifting, but i justed wanted to put some correct info out there for others to see. This sport is a lot of fun, and will be growing.

James
Old 09-27-2005, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Do f-bodys make for good drift cars?
4th gens are a little on the heavy side, but have a great engine and driveline. Some handling mods and some changes to get more steering angle should allow one to work pretty well. I think that they are a very good platform and hope to see more of them around (we've had a couple of stock 4th gens come to events and they did deent and had fun). I've got a 3rd gen that i'm dropping an ls1/t56 into for me to play around with.

james
Old 09-27-2005, 12:26 AM
dug
Banned

Drifting looks like so much fun. Id like to give it a try but am afraid Id wreck.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Drifting is

When did going as fast as you can around corners with exquisit and superb TRACTION ever go out of style?

It's fun to do... it's fun to watch... but it's way over rated. It's hardly a useful technique.

Being one of the Top 10 Gran Turismo 4 Drifters in America, I feel have the credibility to say this.

Besides like everything else the Japanese stole the idea of drifting from us.... Americans have been drifting for years... except we called it Midget Car racing.

Last edited by Heatmaker; 09-27-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:40 AM
...with cheese.

when I hear someone say drifting in reference to an automobile, I always expect to see a 16y/o asian kid on his way home from highschool is his 240sx equipped with a large wing and fart cannon. I don't usually stereotype but damn. I think ricers are going to overpopulate everything else. We are the minority! ahhhhhhhhhhhh it's too late for this bs, I'm going to bed.

Last edited by Armageddon; 09-27-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prosocutions exhibit A: Why drifting is ******* gay.
I ruL3z @t dR1fTiNG yO!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Drifting looks like so much fun. Id like to give it a try but am afraid Id wreck.
Most of the practice events are held on courses where there is nothing to hit / no way to wreck your car. Don't hot lap your car too much (and cause it to overheat) and get some junk tires and go have fun.

when I hear someone say drifting in reference to an automobile, I always expect to see a 16y/o asian kid on his way home from highschool is his 240sx equipped with a large wing and fart cannon.
That is the stereotype of drifting (which is somewhat true). You should have seen the looks on people's faces when we first started drifting an el camino

Prosocutions exhibit A: Why drifting is ******* gay.
While that is a funny video of a dumbass getting owned, i have many videos of people doing stupid things in other forms of motorsport as well. FWIW that was some pretty lame drifting in the video, and you would get kicked out of events in the US if you tried that crap.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't find that funny at all.

Sure, it was Darwin at work, but damn ...
Old 09-28-2005, 09:50 AM
dug
Banned

lookd like a bullfighter goin down

Quick Reply: Drifting a turn better?