Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Camber, Caster, toe.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camber, Caster, toe.

ok well here i am 1 week away from my first road race. 1.6 mile with 9 turns. have a good engine and make good power. 366 on mustang Dyno. with A4. i got new G2 springs and brake upgrade for Vette with Hawk HS pads. So what should i set my camber at?? caster and toe. thanks
Damian
Old 05-03-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Well.....

I daily drive my car and do 4 or more track days per year.

I initially set my camber at 1.5 deg. negative and added about 1/2 degree to the factory caster setting. Toe was left at factory spec. This was great at the track, but chewed up the inside of the tires on the street.

I've settled in to the following, for my daily driver / track day car:

1/2 degree negative camber and the caster and toe as above. If you find the car wanders a bit or is a bit darty in the front , add just a bit of toe-in. This set-up will not ruin your street tires, but will eat the outer shoulders of your tires at the track .... a bit. And, of course, gives up some front cornering traction due to the lower camber setting.

Oh ... and.....

I started out with an automatic as well. I would STRONGLY advise that you put a good cooler on it and install a shift kit and program the PCM to delete the torque management and increase the shift pressures. This will help the trans to live, but if you get good and start going real fast ..... you'll end up just breaking something internal anyway. Mine died at 40,000 miles and maybe 6 to 8 track days...... with street tires.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have mine set at as much negative camber that I can get -0.9 with the stock springs (you should be able to get more been lowered -1 to -1.5 is a good number if you do a lot of trackdays), +4.5 caster and 0 toe.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:21 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I attend a bout 30 track events a year . I keep the camber set at -2 and caster at +5 with either TOYO RA1 or Nitto 555RII tires. That has been the best setting for me for these tires.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by roy
I attend a bout 30 track events a year . I keep the camber set at -2 and caster at +5 with either TOYO RA1 or Nitto 555RII tires. That has been the best setting for me for these tires.

y so much caster??? and anyone else going to redline time attack
Old 05-04-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I run 0 toe, +6.25 caster, and -.5 camber. Feels good, and I havent noticed any wear on the tires. Might change the camber to -1 next time tho.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:43 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by A502slo
Increased camber gain while turning, improved Highspeed stability and cornering effectivenes.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't do track events, but do autocross, this is more of a comment towards tire wear.

I run -1.6 camber and have had no issue at all with bad tire wear. The car only sees about 10k/yr street miles though.

As for castor, get as much as you possibly can but equal on both sides. This increases negative camber while turining, and improves the return to center.

As for toe, a touch of toe in is good for high speed stability, a touch of toe out is good for turn in. I would spit the uprights and just leave it at 0.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by A502slo
May as well run as much caster as possible. Caster increases negative camber when the wheels are turned and adds high speed stability. The only drawback is increased steering effort. By running a lot of caster, you dont need to run as much negative camber which helps under braking, since ideally, you want your wheels at 0 camber when braking and negative camber while cornering. On some of the race cars I've set up before, we've run as much as 7.5 to 8 degrees of caster.

Al

Quick Reply: Camber, Caster, toe.