Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

SPEC Camaro??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SPEC Camaro??

Hi Everyone,

I couldn't find any sticky posts and I am not even sure this the right place to post:

I am a n00b willing to race professionally. I am going to buy a miata and make it a SPEC miata to Race. It is because cheap [an estimated 10 grand/year] and has a pursuable carrier if I can achieve something

But hell who wants to race with a frigging 1600cc miata right? So I was wondering if there is a low cost race like SPEC Miata that I can join with my Camaro
Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 AM
Launching!

CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge)
AI (American Iron)
AIX (American Iron Extreme)

Since your car is an LS1 and has some mods, you will probably be in AI. Wait for Mitch to chime in...he knows a lot about this!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.camaromustngchallenge

www.americanironracing.com

www.nasaproracing.com
Old 06-06-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm I am still reading, so far only AI [American Iron] seems to be the class that I can be in only. Anyone is racing/interested in this class, how competitive it is?

I really appreciate your help!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ai is really competitive.

Becasue of the HP/Wt limitations, it really boils down to suspension set up, aero and brakes ... and *****.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.av8ss.com

(American V8 Supercar Series)

Try that one as well.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:34 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by yekta
Hi Everyone,

I couldn't find any sticky posts and I am not even sure this the right place to post:

I am a n00b willing to race professionally. I am going to buy a miata and make it a SPEC miata to Race. It is because cheap [an estimated 10 grand/year] and has a pursuable carrier if I can achieve something

But hell who wants to race with a frigging 1600cc miata right? So I was wondering if there is a low cost race like SPEC Miata that I can join with my Camaro
I do know a few youngsters with possible race careers ahead of them who have chose that platform/ series to cut their teeth on. It's a respectable platform. Don't let the engine's size deceive you.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I do know a few youngsters with possible race careers ahead of them who have chose that platform/ series to cut their teeth on. It's a respectable platform. Don't let the engine's size deceive you.
I know sir, thats what I've been told too... it is a good start for this job. I think SPEC miata has even more respect than some American classes, but I am being emotional and want to race with my baby
Old 06-07-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your "baby" is gonna get dinged.

Spec Miata has gotten very popular. It's also gotten a little pricey, having gone to a select source, sealed spec motor.

Just food for thought.

I have a racing buddy who recently sold his Miata in order to build a CMC car. He called SM "Spec Pinata". Appaently there is alot of fender banging going on.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Your "baby" is gonna get dinged.

Spec Miata has gotten very popular. It's also gotten a little pricey, having gone to a select source, sealed spec motor.

Just food for thought.

I have a racing buddy who recently sold his Miata in order to build a CMC car. He called SM "Spec Pinata". Appaently there is alot of fender banging going on.
SM will make me starve I guess with my small budget I honestly couldn't decide between AI and SM classes. Mitch do you race too? Do you know how sponsorships work? I am all ears, eating all the info you guys give here
Old 06-07-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I race a '96 firebird in CMC NASA-Tx region.

Sponsorship ... a business isn't going to give you cash. Not gonna happen. So, don't even think about it.

Be creative, though. Look at what it costs to go racing and look where you can offset, reduce or eliminate your expenses.

You will still have to buy/build the car.

A businessman is gonna want something in return for their "investment". You will have to offer him/her something they can use.

2 examples ...

I have a local Quick Lube business sponsor who sells me Amsoil at cost for the race car, changes the oil in my tow rig and gives me gasoline for the tow rig and fuel jugs.

In return, once a month, I load up the race car and take it to his place of business and park it out front. It draws a lot of attention. Also, customers come out and look it over, ask questions and spend time there. They, more times than not, are willing to have fuel filters changed or something similar that they would normally have neglected because they didn't want to stand arounsd and wait with nothing to do.

Second example ... a local mobile detailer keeps the car and tow rig clean.

In return, I put out brochures and pamphlets at the track, at car shows and at the quick lube place that advertises his services.

I also have a printing and graphics company that gives me a lot of my vinyl, a welding supply business that keeps me in gas, wire, wheels, etc.

Bottom line, is you have to be able to show the business owner that he can get some return from his effort and support.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you, something that I have no clue started getting a little shape

How long have u been racing in CMC class? If you are a good driver How do you go 1 step further [ ex; to race in a team, basically getting rid of all the expenses and even getting paid for that? ] or its not necessarily just being a good driver?

Btw is it a huge disadvantage to not live in TX for AI?

Last edited by yekta; 06-07-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure I understand the question ...

Good driver vs getting paid to drive ...

Let's use Danica Patrick as an example. She a mediocre driver in her peer group, , great equipment and team and a master marketer. Breeds good sponsorship and makes money for the team owner.

Let's use Marco Andretti as an example. He's a lousy driver, with a great name for marketing. He has good equipment and well funded team.

Let use Dan Wheldon as an example. He's a talented driver, has a fantastic team, but will never be a good markketing tool in the US because he's a Brit.

So, you see how one has to identify one's strengths, one's weaknesses and play them to your benefit.

But also remember, that as you go up the racing presige ladder the pond gets smaller and the fish get bigger.

Let's use me as an example. A mediocre driver who foot's his own bills and knows he'll never be a pro. But because I can race competitively and not tear up the car, I have a couple driver instructing jobs that helps off-set the cost of the racing.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

If your looking to start out and save some money (maybe not a whole lot, but still)... Id go with Karting, Rotax Max is a good example... Spec engines (sealed). Just dont know how good of a class it is in your area. TAG classes are usually pretty good to start from, alot of new guys think "I need a shifter, anything else is too slow" which is a big mistake, because shifter karts allow you to cover up mistakes in your driving skills - whereas with either direct-drive or centrifugal-clutch karts you learn driving skills faster and learn to not make mistakes.

Theres always the Formula Dodge Skip-Barber series, it was something like $2500 a race (weekend), which includes 2 sets of tires, registration and a car... If you fully total the car then you pay something like $3000. Dont remember the specifics on it, but its a cheap open-wheel class. However the cars themselves make 80s Formula 4s look like modern F1s, they are pretty basic and look cheap, have a Neon engine with a syncro-mesh box... (also if I recall correctly they dont use spoilers or slicks).

One thing I have to say is even though Spec is supposed to mean money wont get you further, there will always be those with more money and using it to their advantage... You cant really be on a budget with racing, there are some exceptions however.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

If you are a good driver How do you go 1 step further [ ex; to race in a team, basically getting rid of all the expenses and even getting paid for that? ] or its not necessarily just being a good driver?
Money, connections, talent, practice, and did I say MONEY!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What i wanted to mean was actually, all AI races are in Texas or they have different tracks at different regions?

Originally Posted by Teutonic Speedracer
Money, connections, talent, practice, and did I say MONEY!
That's Horrible! Maybe I could be a driver even as good as M. schumacher but I will be wasted because of lack of money

I am an international student from Turkey, I am not even allowed to work here... But this something I have to do and see for myself, and like mitch said "he will never be a pro" I wanna know if I can be a pro or this is just a waste of time
Old 06-07-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll never be a pro and I don't consider it a waste of time at all.

On the contrary, I've been given oppurtunities I would have never dreamed of.

I got to work on Lou Gigliotti's crew building their World Challenge Vettes, got to help on their Trans AM GT effort and learned a TON about managing a team.

I learned how to communicate with a chassis guy and learned how to tune a chassis. I learned how to take care of equipment and how to mentally prepare for a race.

There is a LOT more to racing than just mashing the right pedal. If that's all there was to it, it would be called drag racing and everyone would be doing it.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I'll never be a pro and I don't consider it a waste of time at all.

On the contrary, I've been given oppurtunities I would have never dreamed of.

I got to work on Lou Gigliotti's crew building their World Challenge Vettes, got to help on their Trans AM GT effort and learned a TON about managing a team.

I learned how to communicate with a chassis guy and learned how to tune a chassis. I learned how to take care of equipment and how to mentally prepare for a race.

There is a LOT more to racing than just mashing the right pedal. If that's all there was to it, it would be called drag racing and everyone would be doing it.

These are great informations Mitch, thanks A LOT!!! Now I've got a pattern to follow at least
Old 06-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Teching In

If you are really are interested in competitive RR-ing, you first haveto get your race license. That means going to a lot of HPDE events, and attending a driving school. The whole process takes at least 1 year, (if you are good, and you attend all the events, pretty much one weekend per month). You don't need to do anything with your car for now. Aventually you want to invest in all the safety stuff, cage, seat, harness, attire. Your car will aventually be less street worthy and more race worthy.
Take what you have to the next HPDE event, and see if this is what you really want, before investing in anything.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:49 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Getting licensed can take as little as 3 days
Now, it would be unwise to go race on the 4th day without more tack experience.

Some of the established race schools have SCCA accreditation for their 3 day schools. Upon graduation however, they highly advise you to go get some more track time before going wheel to wheel, but you will be granted the competition license nevertheless.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 06-17-2006 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: SPEC Camaro??