Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

ORR Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006 | 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Default ORR Tires?

Just curious which tires you road race guys are using these days. I plan to run an open road race in July, and even tho I'm only going to run 120mph (140 max) with my car weighing ~4300 lbs with me & my nav tires WILL be an issue.

I've been told the new Goodyears that come on the new Vettes are working well. Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-2006 | 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

One thought is to lose some weight.....you/nav/or car. Check out tirerack.com, see which ones have the highest speed rating. Maybe BFG KDs, or KDW if less then dry conditions. Are slicks allowed? I'd imagine they'd hold up the best.
Old 11-08-2006 | 09:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Just curious which tires you road race guys are using these days. I plan to run an open road race in July, and even tho I'm only going to run 120mph (140 max) with my car weighing ~4300 lbs with me & my nav tires WILL be an issue.

I've been told the new Goodyears that come on the new Vettes are working well. Any thoughts?
Maybe Boyce will chime in as well--

Just finished our second season of ORR with a '96 Z. First year was Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and they did well. This year we used the BFG KD's and they were far superior. They suck in the wet and that should be a consideration.

We ran 130 class at the Bonneville 100, 145 at the Roadrunner a few weeks ago.

Slicks or nascar tires are really not an option. They puncture easily on a road course that is not swept clean of debris. I would also consider the Michelin Pilot Sport.
Old 11-08-2006 | 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

doesnt Nitto make some type of ultra high performance road race tires?
Old 11-09-2006 | 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
doesnt Nitto make some type of ultra high performance road race tires?
Yes, they make the NT-01, in the 100 treadwear catagory. Others to consider; Toyo RA-1s, Michelin Pilot Cups, Pirelli Corsas (not many of our sizes in these though ), and the Falken 615s.
Old 11-12-2006 | 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

What tires are you on right now? I dont see why they wouldnt hold up for you.
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:43 AM
Teching In

Sorry about bringing this back up but I am a newbie here.But have been ORR'ing for many years.You Have to run a min of the tire spec that was OEM on the car.If you move up in class to a high tech speed that what was on the car OEM then you need to run the OEM or better load rating but have a higher speed rating for the tech you plan on running.Keep in mind that you are on a normally traveled highway the 364 other days so they can be on patches on the road as well as surface changes so You need to take that into consideration IT is NOT a smooth road course lime lime rock or buttonwillow.
Also need to consider rain or wet surfaces since these do run rain or shine.Nothing more hair raising than to top a hill at 160+ and see a wet road or a down pour..stan

Trending Topics

Old 12-24-2006 | 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

I was looking at the Eagles or BFGs since they are about the only Ultra tire that comes in 275/40 & 315/35/ZR17. I wish Toyo RA-1s came in 315s. How were the BFG KDs for straightline traction Andy? I plan to run the 1/2 mile or 1 mile shoot out & with my setup I need a tire that will be good for that too.

And Boyce ran road race slicks (Mich cup tires I think) when he raced....I aint goin there. Like Stan said, hit some rain at speed in those (or crickets) and you are in for a ride. Besides, I'm only going to be doing 140mph....

Mark
Old 12-26-2006 | 10:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I was looking at the Eagles or BFGs since they are about the only Ultra tire that comes in 275/40 & 315/35/ZR17. I wish Toyo RA-1s came in 315s. How were the BFG KDs for straightline traction Andy? I plan to run the 1/2 mile or 1 mile shoot out & with my setup I need a tire that will be good for that too.

And Boyce ran road race slicks (Mich cup tires I think) when he raced....I aint goin there. Like Stan said, hit some rain at speed in those (or crickets) and you are in for a ride. Besides, I'm only going to be doing 140mph....

Mark
Mark

I ran the Texas Mile on the KD's and they were OK- I could spin it through first if I didn't watch it. I like 'em for the price vs. value. They do well.

Andy
Old 12-27-2006 | 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Biggest thing to worry about will be load rating and speed rating. Check the rule book for speed ratings, they can get confusing.

I ran the Michelin cup sports when I ran and they did fine, you just dont want to push them into the 180+ range for to long. But man they stuck like glue....until the rain storm hit us. then it was like being on ice.

The BFG KD's might work well in that speed class. Tim Jones ran them for a while on his mustang and I THINK they did OK in the 170 class. I cant remember if it was the KD or the Michelin Cup that came apart on him though.

If you want to be safe, and in MY opinion the best all around tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport. They are spendy but they will cover both your speed rating (by a long shot) and they have a pretty serious load rating if I remember right. They are also a great street tire. They may not have the traction for light to light jumps with your car but they are a great tire.
Old 01-03-2007 | 11:16 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Ra-1's are awsome. I have them on my car now. The ao-32r yokohama's are good too or there equivelent.
Old 01-11-2007 | 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

So the RA-1s are good as well as the Pilots.....ok, that I can choose from. Thanks guys.

Are you going to make the Bonneville Boyce? Sounds like a few of us are going....
Old 01-12-2007 | 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Default My opinion

Don't even think of slicks, which it sounds like you have ruled out. There is no need at the speeds you are going and so don't risk the ease of puncture. Get street tires that have a high speed and load rating. Basicly what Boyce said. We are running Continental V-Max's but they only come in 19 in sizes. I had to buy new rims to run them.
Jeffy'
Old 01-13-2007 | 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Up to a 168 tech I trust Nitto 555RII. They grip well, are tough, and W rated.

Quick Reply: ORR Tires?