Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

CMC-2 added to NASA - LS1 F-bodies now allowed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006 | 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

quick question then...

in reguards to weight ... what major and minor things can be removed from a 4thgen to save some serious weight? is removing impact beams legal? Are we allowed to remove EGR, AIR pumps.. A/C.. are headlights required? what about glass? can lexan glass be used in the rear hatch? Can the hatch itself be fiberglass like VFN sells?
Old 12-05-2006 | 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

In general? All the stuff you outlined, along with the little stuff (which adds up dramatically) like seat brackets, seam filler, excess wiring, abandoned bracketry ...

But, a LOT of that stuff is not allowed to be removed per classification rules. It just depends upon which class you chose to build to. CMC is a LOT more restrictive (and therefore competitive) to what you can and cannot do.

AIX is run what you brung, basically.

So, it varies widely.

But, it has been my experience that a 250hp car weighing 3000lbs will kill a 400hp car weighing 3500lbs, given everything else as equal.

Understand, on a road course, 80% of your time is spent slowing and turning the car. Only 20% is spent accelerating. ANYTHING one can do to help the physics of stopping and turning (reduce weight) will decrease lap times.
Old 12-05-2006 | 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
quick question then...

in reguards to weight ... what major and minor things can be removed from a 4thgen to save some serious weight? is removing impact beams legal? Are we allowed to remove EGR, AIR pumps.. A/C.. are headlights required? what about glass? can lexan glass be used in the rear hatch? Can the hatch itself be fiberglass like VFN sells?
best bet is to download and read the rules. to answer your questions:
yes to impact beams w/ a catch in regards to cage. smog stuff can come off, A/C and all related parts can come off, headlights are not required, glass has to remain glass - no lexan, and no VFN hoods or hatch's.
Old 12-06-2006 | 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

ok... got it..

so baiscally... all thats really needed to bring the HP back down, is a throttle body restrictor plate? seems easy enough.. forgive me ignorance but will having a restrictor plate mess up the A/F ratio any, do you need to retune for it?
Old 12-06-2006 | 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes it will make the car run rich. And no, no tuning allowed ...

I had a panic attack over this issue, worried about VATS, A/F ... all kinds of scenarios. But I've run a 97 ECM, a 96 and even a 95 in my car without a single hiccup. To make the motor run, any ECm from 94-97 will work. I was amazed.

The running rich hasn't been detrimental. One of the side effects of the restrictor plate is the motor runs out of breath at about 5K. So, there is no need to rev the motor to the moon. A SBC will run all day long at 5K and the driveline is beefy enough to take 230/300 without an issue.

So, these cars are damn near bullet-proof.

Quick Reply: CMC-2 added to NASA - LS1 F-bodies now allowed!!!!