Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

CMC-2 added to NASA - LS1 F-bodies now allowed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CMC-2 added to NASA - LS1 F-bodies now allowed!!!!

http://www.camaromustangchallenge.com/news.htm

the rules for CMC-2 havent been posted yet, but they will follow the guidelines found in the CMC rules. the HP will be around 285HP/300TQ. if you have been thinking of comming to CMC, but were turned off by the LS1 not being legal, here is your chance.

if you need more info, feel free to contact me @ Glenn_Landrum @ msn dot com.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

How exactly, do they check the power outputs (or is it a "gentleman's agreement")?? Do they actually expect us to de-tune our stock engines in order to meet class rules?!?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you come to race w/ us and plan on cheating, you will not last very long. the cars are certified @ the begining of each year, and are subject to random dyno testing @ anytime durring the season. upon the 2nd offence of cheeting, you can be banned from racing w/ NASA. how bad do you want to be the man, bad enough to cheet?
and yes, they accually do expect you to detune the motors. in CMC my LT1 has to be @ 230hp/300tq or less. i run a twin 33mm restrictor. eventually CMC-2 will be moved into CMC once they figure out how to slow them done to CMC car lap times. if there was a good way of reducing the LS1 power down to 230/300, they would already be there. and trust me, 285hp is way more than you need in a car thats around 3200 w/ driver post race. if you think differently, you haven't spent enough time on the track for your opinion to matter.
when i first started posting about CMC racing all i kept hearing from the LSX forums was how unfair it was that they only allowed the Camaro up to 97. now they have created a class just for the 98-02 Camaro. no more exscuses.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 431 Likes on 338 Posts

I don't wanna detune. I wanna race 4.6 mustangs so I can show them who rules.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

by setting a HP/TQ limit you prevent a "spend fest". there will always be someone who can out spend you. by taking the HP/TQ factor out and making it the same for everyone, its all about the driver. thats what road racing is all about. two drivers competing on a level playing field. i figure thats why alot of folk are drag racers. build HP, and just have a good reaction time. most money spent wins.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glenn ... it's pointless.

Think about it ... do you REALLY want these guys on the track with us?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Glenn98ZM6
if you come to race w/ us and plan on cheating, you will not last very long. the cars are certified @ the begining of each year, and are subject to random dyno testing @ anytime durring the season. upon the 2nd offence of cheeting, you can be banned from racing w/ NASA. how bad do you want to be the man, bad enough to cheet?
and yes, they accually do expect you to detune the motors. in CMC my LT1 has to be @ 230hp/300tq or less. i run a twin 33mm restrictor. eventually CMC-2 will be moved into CMC once they figure out how to slow them done to CMC car lap times. if there was a good way of reducing the LS1 power down to 230/300, they would already be there. and trust me, 285hp is way more than you need in a car thats around 3200 w/ driver post race. if you think differently, you haven't spent enough time on the track for your opinion to matter.
when i first started posting about CMC racing all i kept hearing from the LSX forums was how unfair it was that they only allowed the Camaro up to 97. now they have created a class just for the 98-02 Camaro. no more exscuses.
Look, I'm sorry if you took my questions the wrong way, and I understand the "snippyness" in your response. Unlike the pure drag racers I do realize that the power levels NASA requires are more then what is needed for the purpose of the class. My questions were simple, honest, straightforward ones, with NO inferences toward "cheating". I was simply wondering how this was kept in check (effectively and for little $$), and how the "detuning" was executed. After I thought about it, I guessed it was by inlet restrictors, as is done in so many other racing series.

That covers the power restrictions. How do you keep the competitors from outspending one another on the suspensions (which as we know can wind up costing more than engine mods. i.e.; Moton shocks, etc.)? (Again, a simple, honest question with NO implications.)
Old 11-29-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

Spending money????? Now I have to spend money to detune my stock car. Yes that is pointless. That's right mitch I don't wanna be on the track with you. You would be in my way.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a $700 per pair limit on shocks. you cannot run any shock that cannot be purchased NEW for more than $700. that $1400 per set of 4. that covers the OEM Koni D/A's that came stock on the 1LE cars.

sorry for my responce from before. i senced you wanting to pick it apart. this class is very restrictive. so much so, that a street legal car could run in the class, emissions and all. the rules for 2006 CMC are still up on the net. go to CamaroMustangChallenge.com and look for the rules link on the left. takes you to a page that has a PDF of the rules. CMC-2 will be very similar, they are very close to posting them.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Spending money????? Now I have to spend money to detune my stock car. Yes that is pointless.
all it takes is a restrictor plate. rules prevent anything other than a stock tune in the PCM, so theres no other way. since you have to dyno cert the car @ the beginning of each year, its not like it costs you something to detune it. your gonna be there anyways.

That's right mitch I don't wanna be on the track with you. You would be in my way.
i could spot you 5 and the leave @ the road course of your choosing (in TX) and would would loose your ride.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glenn98ZM6
whats with the 230hp??? why do they want so little hp in these heavy *** cars?

and if this new class is JUST for 98-02... why not make the HP rating set at the factory rating of 305hp.. hell most all LS1's will dyno right at the at the Rear.. seems dumb is you need to restrict a completely stock car.. make the minimum the factory rating.. simple.. just like the new stangs.. 300hp.. would seem the logical route.. but since when is racing logical anyways?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

for CMC, to 79-90 something or so Mustangs have a hard time making the 230/300 limit. the 3rd gens make right @ that number. that number was picked to allow more year modles to compete.
as for CMC-2, i'm sure its the same reason. it is after all called Camaro MUSTANG Challenge. the LS1 f-body would kill a Mustang stock for stock. its to level the playing field.

guys HP is not the end all, be all to racing. i ran my 98 Camaro on the track in track days for 5 years. it was a real street car makinf 450rwhp/422rwtq @ about 3800 lbs w/ driver. w/ V-700 315's on all 4 corners and 13" 4 piston brembo brakes, i only managed a 1:27.xx on my local 1.7 mile track. i then built my CMC car. 230/300 hp/tq @ the wheels and about 3250 w/ driver post race. stock 98-02 F-body brakes, and 16x8 factory wheels on Toyo RA1's and i've so far ran a best of 1:25.8.
why am i faster? i learned to drive and not rely on the HP to get the lap times. so dont worry about the HP guys. the fun is in passing the other guy cause you outdrove him. road racing is about DRIVING, not riding.
like i said, 230 hp is plenty @ the 3200 lb minimum. CMC-2will probably have a 285/325 limit @ the same weight. w/ the LS1, i could get it 100lbs lighter than my LT1 CMC car. 100lbs is huge.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's right mitch I don't wanna be on the track with you. You would be in my way.
Bring it on ... unless you can't back up HUGE claims.

Texas World Speedway, December 16 and 17.

I would be laughing my *** off watching you and "all that horsepower" trying to negotiate T1, T2 and T7 ...

Old 11-29-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

I wish I could afford to go to texas, that would be fun. I know how to use my brakes and throttle. The car only goes as fast as I want it to. Don't get affended, jus' funnin' ya.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Those who know me know I don't get offended very easily and I hope you don't either.

And while I don't know you at all, the typical response like you gave is from a person with a mountain of Playstation experience.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the 2007 rules have been posted. CMC and CMC-2 are the same rule set w/ differences in the class outlined. looks like MINIMUM HP/TQ will be 280/310 and max will be more tham most STOCK LS1 car can make. the required weight and HP/TQ chart make it really easy to have a street legal car w/ A/C and a radio to compete.
http://www.camaromustangchallenge.co...MC%20Rules.pdf
Old 12-01-2006, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

Am I reading it right that SS or WS6 LS1 cars aren't allowed to compete?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes. Having a way to evacuate the air from under the hood is a definite advantage. The rule set has made all the allowed platforms that close in competition.

And it's about the competition on the track, not battling Visa cards.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, they dont want the "ram air" and "cold air" advantage cars in the class. you would be doing the right thing to sell the hoods and air box set-ups that are specific to the SS and WS6 (really the only parts not legal - air boxes) and use that positive cash flow to build the car. excluding SS and WS6 cars sounds kinda difinitive. they are really only outlawing the parts that make them "better" than a regulare F-body. i'm positive the hoods are legal.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

So you think the air box is the only illegal part, but that the hood isn't? I didn't think there was any difference between Z28 airboxes and SS. Or did you mean to say the hoods are illegal.

Quick Reply: CMC-2 added to NASA - LS1 F-bodies now allowed!!!!