Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drifting

Just curious, wondering if there is any f-body drifters out there?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

id hope they would up the suspesion if so.....stock suspension on these cars isnt impressive in my opinion
Old 12-05-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

This is very true, That was the first thing i ditched when I bought this car, went with the qa-1 coilovers, the difference is night and day. There are plenty of new mustang drifters, Rhys Millen in his GTO, and i know there are a few older f-bodys involved in Formula D. And I know there is a guy in hawaii who drifts a white 3rd gen Camaro.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Rhys is now in a Solstice sponsored by RedBull, making over 500hp.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

only my winter beater bronco in the snow. Tires are to expensive unless u have a sponsor
Old 12-05-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most drift cars are Beating to hell and back

Thats why you see alot of 3rd gens, since they are cheaper and have the same sus setup as a 4th gen, and they also have alot of low end grunt from the TPI......

There are alot of 3rd gens, parts are easy to find and they are reliable for a racing/drift type of car..

I wouldnt do it with a nice 4th, maybe a beat up one with a sav title or somthing
Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 AM
nfa
Teching In

Probably not too many. Generally, most f-body owners are interested in racing and not showboating.

Originally Posted by ws6manny
Just curious, wondering if there is any f-body drifters out there?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nfa
Probably not too many. Generally, most f-body owners are interested in racing and not showboating.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nfa

If you wanna consider it that.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:25 PM
nfa
Teching In

Last time I checked, racing was generally accepted as competition determined in an objective manner. Winners are determined by lap times and finishing order. Success in drifting is determined by impressing judges/crowd. Is that not showboating?

Originally Posted by ws6manny
If you wanna consider it that.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

who gives a **** what it is. power slidding takes a lot more concentration and skill than driving straight. drifting is a sport in which you are in control of a vehilcale which is totaly out of control. most of you guys hate on it cause its considered a ricer sport. i wouldnt do it unless you are being sponsered for tires. it gets real expensive that way. plus the wear and tear on your car can get extreme. different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:10 PM
nfa
Teching In

Originally Posted by jamesSS
most of you guys hate on it cause its considered a ricer sport.
I think that about sums it up right there. The same way most fbody guys dont do car shows, or sit around parking lots at night checking out each other's clear corner lamps. Most of us just prefer going fast and racing. And are you trying to insinuate that fbody drivers are just about straight line? Many of us autox and road race too.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nfa
I think that about sums it up right there. The same way most fbody guys dont do car shows, or sit around parking lots at night checking out each other's clear corner lamps. Most of us just prefer going fast and racing. And are you trying to insinuate that fbody drivers are just about straight line? Many of us autox and road race too.

no, im saying that there is more to the automobile expierence than just driving in straight lines and handling twisties. to hold a grudge against a sport which requires a lot of skill to do and master simply cause it didnt start in the U.S. is retarded. its a sport just like drag racing and auto crossing, just one not yet that popular cause people labeled it RICE.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jamesSS
no, im saying that there is more to the automobile expierence than just driving in straight lines and handling twisties. to hold a grudge against a sport which requires a lot of skill to do and master simply cause it didnt start in the U.S. is retarded. its a sport just like drag racing and auto crossing, just one not yet that popular cause people labeled it RICE.
Why is it you bozos never post this tripe in the drag racing sections?

Tracking a bike or sprint car around a dirt course, sliding it sideways, then launching it hard down the straight, setting up for the next turn is skill.

Doing that for 10, 20, 100 laps and crossing a finish line ahead of everyone else in order to decide a winner is a contest.

Not some "judge" arbitrarily deciding who a winner is by simply spectating. That's how it happens in figure skating and synchronized swimming.

Drifting has been labeled a "sport" because stupid, ridiculous and absurd had already been taken.

Because the "winner" in a drift exhibition is "appointed", that sets it apart from drag racing, AX and road racing. It's easy to figure out who the winner is in those contests.

A finski and a hershey's kiss can help a "judge" decide.

Please lock this ridiculous waste of band width.

Might I please ask for the admin to create a "Drifting" forum so that they can explain amongst themselves how great and skillfull drifting is instead of pissing real racers off?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW...pretty love it or hate it deal!

Personally, If I was sponsored and in someone elses car I'd love it. The cost of tires and extreme beating it puts on your car makes it out of the question 4 me (at least w my Z).

I do admit though, that I love to powerslide. There are times I step the car out of shape around a corner at the track, purely for ***** and giggles! It isn't the fastest way through a corner....but IT IS FUN!!

I tried 2 watch drifting on speed, but realy have issue w the "judging" part. I am impressed w the skill level...but really wish it was more a combination of "showboating" and racing. Maybe it could be more of a race, with extra points or a minimum set amount of powerslide.

For those of you who hate rice and drifting you should still watch it at least once. At minimum u will laugh you @$$ off when these things tag a rubber cone, and thier body kit parts fall off. I know I did!!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Why is it you bozos never post this tripe in the drag racing sections?
Tracking a bike or sprint car around a dirt course, sliding it sideways, then launching it hard down the straight, setting up for the next turn is skill.

Doing that for 10, 20, 100 laps and crossing a finish line ahead of everyone else in order to decide a winner is a contest.

Not some "judge" arbitrarily deciding who a winner is by simply spectating. That's how it happens in figure skating and synchronized swimming.

Drifting has been labeled a "sport" because stupid, ridiculous and absurd had already been taken.

Because the "winner" in a drift exhibition is "appointed", that sets it apart from drag racing, AX and road racing. It's easy to figure out who the winner is in those contests.

A finski and a hershey's kiss can help a "judge" decide.

Please lock this ridiculous waste of band width.

Might I please ask for the admin to create a "Drifting" forum so that they can explain amongst themselves how great and skillfull drifting is instead of pissing real racers off?

because drifting isnt considered a drag race. if your not interested in the sport, thats fine. if you could care less what people think about the topic, good for you. all the guy wanted to know is what we thought about it. here we have seen both the side supporting it, and the side condeming it. you made you voice known and your entitled to it. i dont believe i pissed anyone off. and if i offended anyone for calling drifting a " sport", go to hell. you dont like it, stay off this thread. some people think sky diving is rediculous, and other people think spinning rims are a waste of money. that doesnt mean either are right. opinions are like ********, everyones got one. call it what you want, just dont hate on others for not following the road most traveled.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Instead of defending yourself or what you enjoy, re-read the last sentence.

I don't want this section to dumb-down with street racers and drifters.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Is this rice???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpI7ofWudNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G9VGrRDeeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G9VGrRDeeg

We did this for 2 years in this car. I mean its a lot of fun and takes a lot of skill. Its not the same as going to a empty parking lot and power over a turn. Most turns are at 60-80mph 2-3 rd gear then cluth drop and turn as much as you can, then come back the other way. Let just say there is more skill then most give credit to. Its like when you go to a 1/4 track and see a car run 17s. Wow that sport must suck *** and be easy... No, it does not. you have most who are starting off and have fun and learning. SO while not everyone is a pro, please dont make fun off what others like to do. At least go out and try it yourself or go see a Pro drift event. Its a whole different story then.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like to slide through corners every now and then, especially when my tires are bald
Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Please .. enjoy your exhibition. Not knocking the fact that a niche group think it's nifty. Many enjoy figure skating and synchronized swimming as well. Those venues require skill too.

Just find some place else to spread the love ...