Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Would like to get into AX/RR. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would like to get into AX/RR. Any suggestions?

I`ve researched this on here and other sites. I have a 01 ws6 with LT`s, ORY, magnaflow catback, ported TB, lid and smooth bellows. C5 front calipers and automatic car. Eventually, I would like to get into this more seriously, but until I can learn how to drive the car on a course, I would like to keep it simple. I feel a small stall would be beneficial considering the car bogs at certain speeds with the stock stall. What type of modifications should I do to the car to get started? 1LE rear control arm bushings? Poly sway bar bushings? Trans and engine oil cooler? Any help?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:52 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you really need to get started for your car is a good brake pad (Hawk HP Plus for starters as an introductory track/street pad that can sustain lapping), good brake fluid, a decent tire that can sustain heat cycling (basically any max or high performance summer tire), and a decent performance alignment (search this forum for a good alignment spec).

Go to www.nasaproracing.com and enroll in one of their HPDE days (with instruction) at a venue closest to you and go from there.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

do a search for any local autox around your area. its usually cheap, safe, informative, and you dont need a comittment or lay out a big pile of cash up front for it. just run what you brung, take it from there. good starting point for upgrades and learning.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.frrax.com will help as well.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

As my car is right now, what class would my car qualify for in local events?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Depends upon the event. If it's SCCA autocross, I'm guessing E Street Prepared. Other local groups may have different classing. Take the car out as it is now, so long as it's safe, and learn it's behavior before throwing more money at it. Mods may move you to a different autocross class which may make you less competitive. Review the rulebook if you're concerned about being competitive.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

In the ESP class, can subframe connectors be used and can the heads be milled .018" and can a z06 cam be used?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your car would be either SM or CP. The front brakes take you out of ESP, as does the milling, subframe conectors and cam.

The only questions for classing I have is the milling, may or may not take you out of SM (street mod).
Old 12-30-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I can see in the rule book that it calls sfc`s jack rails. I can see they aren`t eligible as well as any modifications to the engine. Only modification I`m still not clear on is the milling of heads. Seems it says you can mill .010, but still not quite sure on that. I don`t see anywhere in the rule book where it says I can`t use C5 front brakes though.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jebcamaro
Ok, I can see in the rule book that it calls sfc`s jack rails. I can see they aren`t eligible as well as any modifications to the engine. Only modification I`m still not clear on is the milling of heads. Seems it says you can mill .010, but still not quite sure on that. I don`t see anywhere in the rule book where it says I can`t use C5 front brakes though.
If it doesn't say you can change the front brakes, you can't change them. C5 brakes aren't legal for ESP. Straight to SM or CP.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Banned

You are more then welcome to join MVP Track Time for any of our road course events. Feel free to visit us at www.MVPTrackTime.com for details.

Happy Motoring!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer