Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Anyone do autox with an auto f-body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone do autox with an auto f-body?

I ran autoX back in 98-00 with a m-6. Was a ton of fun, but now I have a a4. Do you guys and gals shift anyway from 1st to 2nd? Just wondering because I just got the info to sign up here locally. Any info would be great!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Banned

get a stall converter and dont shift manually, unless you got $$ for transmissions.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a guy that competes nationally with an auto in an LT1. I think he had the tranny modified with a manual valve body (or whatever it's called - not an automatic guru) so that it stayed in a gear until he shifted out of it. Since you only need 1 gear for most races, I'd think you could modify the tranny to stay in 2nd until you shifted out of it, but work normal when in D.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually rehardsupra did a writeup on what parameters to modify in the computer with HPtuners that will help in road racing I think they can apply to Auto-X too. Enjoy!

http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...automatic.html
Old 12-26-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer_Bluebird
Actually rehardsupra did a writeup on what parameters to modify in the computer with HPtuners that will help in road racing I think they can apply to Auto-X too. Enjoy!

http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...automatic.html
also.. consider that you can enable a separate shift speed table that can be toggled at the press of a (momentary) performance button thanks to the instructions provided by the guys at hptuners

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8887

note in hptuners that you have separate tables for "normal" and "performance" shift speeds.
if you find the autox shift speed table useful, but don't want to flash your tune everytime you want to carve some corners, you can switch to autocross mode by pressing a button!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I auotcrossed and did track days with my A4 for a couple of years before I converted it to a six speed. I used to manually shift mine and it's the down shifts that are brutal on an automatic. I did go through one transmission and what went was the housing that holds the clutches that are responsible for deceleration. Mines a 94 and I was told that in later model years they had improved the housing so that's what was put back in mine.

If you let the car downshift on its own then you shouldn't have any problems at all but if you grab first gear like I used to then you maybe asking for trouble.

Last edited by Jeff94TA; 12-26-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Teching In

A stall converter is an option, I guess..

But I wouldn't think it would be necessary.

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
If you let the car downshift on its own then you shouldn't have any problems at all but if you grab first gear like I used to then you maybe asking for trouble.
Agreed. The Mr. auto-x's with his 98 T/A with an Automatic, and he's never had problems. He lets his shift on its own and still manages to do great. (1st place in ESP class for SCCA Houston Region this last year )

Last edited by MissTransAm; 01-13-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Teching In

What are you telling this person to do?????????????

A stall converter is a horrible option. It causes a car to build up and launch - for drag racing not auto cross. Put in second and just do it.

Only advice is to not punch it to the floor in transition areas that would make it hit first in a harsh manner as to break traction. Smooth is fast.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch out with a MVB auto. Most drag racing transmissions don't let the car slow down when you take your foot off the gas. They will simply freewheel unlike a stock car. Also, if you plan on street driving you will not have the luxury of softshifts. It is full force all the time. Or at least the MVB TH400 I had was....
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSober
Only advice is to not punch it to the floor in transition areas that would make it hit first in a harsh manner as to break traction. Smooth is fast.
True. I plan on road coursing my auto, should be awesome. If i feel the desperate need to get an m-6, i'll swap later. If anything, tune your shift points and get a shift kit.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 AM
TECH Regular

Mine is a A4, here you go. https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-racing/844763-lg-motorsports-thanks.html
Old 05-08-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
also.. consider that you can enable a separate shift speed table that can be toggled at the press of a (momentary) performance button thanks to the instructions provided by the guys at hptuners

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8887

note in hptuners that you have separate tables for "normal" and "performance" shift speeds.
if you find the autox shift speed table useful, but don't want to flash your tune everytime you want to carve some corners, you can switch to autocross mode by pressing a button!
i went ahead and did this.
here's a little more information for those with hptuners who want to setup the button to switch to performance mode. with hptuners, you can set this table for firmer shifts, locking converter at any speed/rpm/throttle position, shift speeds, etc...

remove the plastic cover from the top pcm harness and loosen the middle bolt.
the top harness piece then comes off and you can take a closer look and find "71" which did not have a wire (on my 99 camaro ss pcm). i just poked a hole through the yellow rubber membrane with a paper clip and ran a wire through.
i then bolted the harness right back on, ran the wire through the firewall.
i have a momentary switch that connects to random metal that one of the dash pieces connect to.
after doing this, hitting the button, "Trans Shift Mode" PID changes from "Normal Shift" to "Perf Shift" and acts just as you program the performance trans tables.
i have this setup for canyon carving where i don't want transmission hunting for gears while feathering the gas around tight corners.

Quick Reply: Anyone do autox with an auto f-body?