Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

***My first autox help a n00b out!***

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ***My first autox help a n00b out!***

Ok heres the deal, I'm planning on Auto-Xing for the first time on the 20th. Im getting some 275 GSD3s for the front to match the rear 315s. The car is set up as indicated in my signature. My SAs are set to full soft in the back and a few sweeps from full hard in the front. now with the sway bars and the konis, I would expect there to be less body roll then the car presently has. On very hard corners, the 315 tire in the rear will rub the fender. Now I'm going to roll the fender to gain some clearance, but I want a firmer feel to my car. I'm installing poly motor mounts hopefully this weekend as well as some new duralast front rotors and while Im in the presence of mind to be tinkering with my car, im going to adjust my Konis. I have the 3/4 combo from Sam, and so I have 4 settings i can choose from in the rear, which is what I'm more concerned about at this time. I know that the adjustable part of the SAs is the rebound setting, so I'm planning on setting the rears slightly higher to reduce nose dive, and hopefully rear body roll. Is there a downside to increasing the rebound setting? i would assume that the ride would change and become a bit firmer, but because the bound setting remains constant, I wouldn't expect it to be harsh. I realize that the sway bars are what ultimately controls body roll, but if I increase the rebound setting, then wouldn't the shocks resist the tendency to expand on the far side of the corners and therefore reduce body roll that much more? please help a noob out...Ive never done this before and any advice is greatly appreciated!!

-Chris
Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

from the mods, I assume you do some road racing maybe?

If so, you're a little better off, however, leave the car exactly how it's setup, tire pressures around 35-38psi.

Get to know the course, and how the car acts on tighter courses. Then adjust where you see fit.

The best guys out there started in stock cars, progressively modding them where they saw fit.

Since you're already a good bit from stock, just go with what you have and use your intuition to adjust.

NEVER adjust the car for driver errors!!! so get honest feedback/suggestions before changing up your setup.

No point in having a $500,000 50' 7867685764hp speed boat to compensate for a lack of something else
Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Shocks don't control the amount of roll. Shocks control roll rate. Your tires rub because they are huge and you have stuffed 10 lbs. of stuff in a 5 pound bag.... Mine rub too. And it will be harsh if you go way too far on rebound because you will basically lock the suspenion down a bit, costing you working travel for the next bump or dip.

If you want to cut roll more, you need more spring or more bar. You won't get much more bar for the front. You can for the rear but IMHO that's not usually a great move.

Don't confuse roll rate with roll amount. Play with the shocks, see what you find. Then we'll look at springs if need be.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the responses guys. I havent road raced before, Im only 19 but I mess around on the street, but i know thats not the same. Im hoping I know the car well enough to have some fun, but ill admit im just starting out and I still have a bunch to learn. the car has fairly stock-like power, so Im hoping it wont be too much for me my first time on the track. I daily drive the car... hard so Im fairly familiar with it, but again I know that means squat on a course. I modded the car one or two parts at a time depending on how I felt the car needed to be improved and Its a stable platform now (It wasn't before...It had 130k when i got it...)

Sam - thanks for the info on roll. Ill be consulting you about your springs soon, but the Auto-x is on the 20th, so It'll be after that. anything besides weight reduction I can do at this point to lessen the roll? If not I suppose I should just hope for the best and roll the fenders liberaly. Oh and the bars and SAs are the best mods to date Ive done to the car, so thanks for the help so far.

-Chris
Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

get an experienced autoXer to take a ride with you give you tips on race line, thought process, etc. etc.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go and have fun. AutoX is like crack.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Teching In

1st time out, make sure the car is in good working order, then just go out and try to improve each run instead of chasing the "best set-up" all day. Worry about the car after you get some seat time.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill let you guys know how I do later... hopfully Il have a video too

-Chris
Old 05-22-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

You might want to upgrade your brake fluid if it is still stock. Brakes are the weak link with these heavy cars, especially when just learning. You will be surprised how quickly they disappear!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

I agree to have fresh higher-temp brake fluid. Then go have fun. Get some experience before thinking about the setup. And yes, street experience does not count for much.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help. I have a little video clip of my run but i have no idea how to host it...
Old 06-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Launching!

I would love to see the vid of your car, especially with those wheels. Any updates on how you did? My first autox event is next month ont he 21st. I'll let you all know how I do.

Quick Reply: ***My first autox help a n00b out!***