Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

I have a dilema, could someone offer advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a dilema, could someone offer advice?

hey guys, i have run into a tough decision lately. to make a long story short, i have decided that i like drag racing as a hobby, but the competition i really wish to pursue is in time attack/road course stuff... like the Trans Am racing circuit. however, i'm under the impression fbodies are not ideal for this type of racing as they come from the factory. i've been reading up on 240sx's and i find them interesting, and i would like to have one. but i'm not ready to give up fbodies and i can't afford to have both right now. so my question is... can fbodies be setup for road course and still compete well? i never see them put to competitive use other than for drag racing (all the cars i see for road course that are used by professionals are mustangs, vettes, and vipers). also how much flexibility could i have for occasional drag racing? thanks for your input.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

put an LS1 in a 240sx, make it strictly track.... keep your trans am as is and use it as a daily driver... best of both worlds
Old 05-16-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

F-bodies can be set up to do well on the roadcourse, if you are willing to invest effort and $$, of course.

this is coming from a vette owner
Old 05-17-2007, 05:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason you don't see many F-cars on TV and competing in major series, like Grand AM, is that the series has regs on the age of cars that can be run in the series.

Because the F-Car has been out of production for 6 years, series have moved beyond the life span of the F-car. And there are some very nice "deals" out there for nice cars that are forced into retirement.

Having said that, look at the results of last year's SCCA runoffs in T2 ... 5 antiquated F-Cars finished in the top 20.

There are grassroots series, like Camaro/Mustang Challenge and SCCA T2 and AS classes that see the 4th gens being very competitive.

I see that you are in South Carolina. Go to http://www.nasaracing.net/ and find an event close to you. Head out to teh track and spectate. Racers are a friendly bunch, especially when you talk about the racing, their cars and getting involved. Get a feel for the weekend.

Try it ... trust me ... you'll throw rocks at drag racing!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Listen to Mitch. He is one of the reasons I am hooked on road racing. The F-body is easy to make a very capable performer. If your desire is to go wheel to wheel the camaromustangchallenge.com is tough to beat since it limits what you can spend.
If you haven't been on a road course do an HPDE with NASA or someone that will provide you some instruction. Try and get a ride with an instructor driving to see what a car is suppossed to do on the track. It was a real eye opener for me.
Bryan
Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

A yellow ls1 powered firebird ran its last hoorah at this year's kick-off Koni Challenge race (Grand Am) at Daytona. It was holding its own rather well.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

A 4th gen with a little bit of work. Will/can do very well. I guess you have to make a choice of which way you want to go. But you really need to get on the track to try it first. Once you see where the driver sits then you can make choice of where the car sits. Like Mitch says once you try it, I dont think you will go back to drag racing. You will be really amazed at what a car is capable of on a closed course track. There more to racing than Turning Left onto the return lane!!!!

John

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in total agreement...get out there and do a HPDE or autocross. The bigger (track) events will better suite the car. I think you will be impressed w how well it does and fun it is in stock form. And of course w some well choosen parts it will be even more capable.

ENJOY!!

Hit: http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/
for more info.