Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Poppacap vs mappins!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

With factory gearing and suspension I will agree with that. After you put a different rear in with a higher gear ratio, adjustable control arms, panhard bar, torque arm, adjustable shocks, relocation brackets and a anti roll bar I will disagree. My dad's 85' Monte SS "my old car" with similar power "both 383's" as mine and stalled auto vs. My F Body with a six speed puts the power down better. Both cars are on a 275/60 mickey. On top of that, the Monte still has the grandpa 3.42's from the Grand National/Olds 442 setup vs my 4.30's.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
I sure hope that means you're not with Hio lol. SRA is clearly better at drag racing. He just keeps deflecting and saying "zomg its better at daily driving so its better at drag racing!"
Yeah, I read through the links you guys posted and saw the light. I was definitely thinking about it in an over-simplified way.

Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni
With factory gearing and suspension I will agree with that. After you put a different rear in with a higher gear ratio, adjustable control arms, panhard bar, torque arm, adjustable shocks, relocation brackets and a anti roll bar I will disagree. My dad's 85' Monte SS "my old car" with similar power "both 383's" as mine and stalled auto vs. My F Body with a six speed puts the power down better. Both cars are on a 275/60 mickey. On top of that, the Monte still has the grandpa 3.42's from the Grand National/Olds 442 setup vs my 4.30's.
Cant tell if serious... any car will get out the hole well if you upgrade practically everything with aftermarket parts.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
Yeah, I read through the links you guys posted and saw the light. I was definitely thinking about it in an over-simplified way.
. SRA is superior in drag racing without a doubt. Hio is just too special to realize that.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
There's a reason every car is going to IRS
Absolutely there is. 95% of customers want the better ride that the irs provides. When you get down to it, the manufacturers are building their cars to satisfy the 95% that buy them and will never put them on a drag strip or road course.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

There's a reason every car is going to IRS
Cause it's the latest fad... All of the "performance" cars wanted to go FWD for a long time too. Just cause manufacturers are using them, doesn't mean that it's best for performance.

I've had:
Thunderbird SC
94/96 Mark VIII's
93 300ZX
85/92 corvettes
05 GTO
Mazda RX8

Only the corvettes and the GTO would launch worth a damn. All of the others wheel hop BAD. Granted all of those were really comfortable and stayed planted in bumpy corners, but straight line sucked.

Originally Posted by Realizer
Who...the hell.....cares?!?!?!?!

Excellent question. I'm not sure how this thread devolved. Pappa vs mappins, pappa wins. The end.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown383LS1
Absolutely there is. 95% of customers want the better ride that the irs provides. When you get down to it, the manufacturers are building their cars to satisfy the 95% that buy them and will never put them on a drag strip or road course.
Sounds like they should sell their cars then...
Old 03-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Sounds like they should sell their cars then...
Joe really hurt your feels eh?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
No where did i see where it said stock suspension. Hell there have even been irs jap cars in the 9's.
So is your definition of "stock suspension" the way it came from the factory with zero mods? No control arms, braces, arb's, axles, etc?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC316
Cause it's the latest fad... All of the "performance" cars wanted to go FWD for a long time too. Just cause manufacturers are using them, doesn't mean that it's best for performance.

I've had:
Thunderbird SC
94/96 Mark VIII's
93 300ZX
85/92 corvettes
05 GTO
Mazda RX8

Only the corvettes and the GTO would launch worth a damn. All of the others wheel hop BAD. Granted all of those were really comfortable and stayed planted in bumpy corners, but straight line sucked.

Excellent question. I'm not sure how this thread devolved. Pappa vs mappins, pappa wins. The end.
For the record, neither my Mark VIII, nor my rents' 89 Cougar hopped...but EVERY stock bushing having Mustang IRS I've been in will shake your fillings out.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt4urass
Joe was looking for a reaction when he said that, and he got it.

At least I hope that he posted that just to get a reaction. Because telling someone that they should sell their performance car because they don't feel like taking it to the track is kinda dumb. Jmo
Old 03-31-2016, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Not anymore, I did some reading last night. Thanks for the links!
I'm not asking you to pick sides......there really is no side here. The advancement in technology will change your mind on its own. These guys are tryin to specify one area where the development of one suspension since the horse and buggy debut might be better with no actual proof of it being better besides theories.

I simply have a open mind ans since there are no more sra cars out and 0-60 times are reduced and putting power down out of a corner is better my only conclusion can be irs makes better traction......period

Now by the time you want to backbrace your sra, weld arb to the alxe tube (not advised on half shafts unlike bitemark advised) and put a big enough set of slicks on it you couldn't spin on ice then yes sra can be competitive.

But is it better like they claim? Their argument seems weak
Bitemark doesn't strike me as very intelligent.
Bitemark is a ****** idiot. I called that years ago. Even worse is he is closed minded to any opnion but his own. Maybe that's why his race car can't get past a 11.5.
I sure hope that means you're not with Hio lol. SRA is clearly better at drag racing. He just keeps deflecting and saying "zomg its better at daily driving so its better at drag racing!"
No its not clearly better. It is used more due most cars being raced was born that way.

But.....most here don't have just a drag car....so well you know.

I find it funny you keep stippin that tho
Originally Posted by Jay z28
This. My grandma can't wait to buy the latest and greatest IRS car so she can get those awesome 60's that she's been missing out on.
What's your grandma's #?? Does she sext
Fbodies really do struggle when it comes to drag racing.
Not really

Cant tell if serious... any car will get out the hole well if you upgrade practically everything with aftermarket parts.
The links he posted are how to make a sra work for drag racing.

Like you said any car will get outta the whole after you replace errything

Now look at what these modern irs cars are doin with out replacing anything
. SRA is superior in drag racing without a doubt. Hio is just too special to realize that.
Sra is horse and buggy ****. Back when i bought my camaro i thought about buying the cobra on the fact that it had irs. But as with any suspension design there are good and bad. Fcar sra was better than that irs.

Times have changed.

Here's a cool vid. Guy developed a irs for drag racing. He offers some insight. What's funny is the wheel on the right acts like a sra.....the one on the left he fixed.

Pretty cool he went to the effort to figure it out. Now he can control the toe and camber ......your sta can't do that
Old 03-31-2016, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Even worse is he is closed minded to any opnion but his own.
How ironic.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Nothin ironic about it.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Well you don't add power and leave suspension components stock. That's how you get a car the doesn't perform like it should. If I was on stock LT1 power I would have no problem making a tire change and hooking hard with no other changes. Maybe a simple torque arm and control arm change. Adding a gear change to a 3.73-4.10 would make launching well that much easier. In a T56 car. My Challenger has IRS and it launched like crap without the help of traction control. I put a bigger tire on and it still needs a lot of help in cooler weather. Here it is bone stock. Spin city with the help of traction control.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Nothin ironic about it.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Oh i know exactly what it means. Fact is most are closed minded......i am not.

Not being willing to explore the benefits of irs in drag racing is being closed minded. I am nit saying all irs is better. We likely have not seen the best irs system yet. More than likely you will see systems developed for more specific applications in the future. Hell I've already said some sra's are better than some irs. Everything is fair game to change.

You guys seem to even bitch about my open minded approach to modding.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

IRS is plenty capable at even extreme street car power levels. SRA is more capable, more reliable and more consistent. Foxbody ftw.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gt4urass
Nah, he just knocked some sense into me... Those type of people should definitely sell their cars if not tracked....

Old 03-31-2016, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Joe was looking for a reaction when he said that, and he got it.

At least I hope that he posted that just to get a reaction. Because telling someone that they should sell their performance car because they don't feel like taking it to the track is kinda dumb. Jmo
Nope, he truly does feel that way. He may have gotten a reaction out of it but it's what he believes as well.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Bitemark is a ****** idiot. I called that years ago. Even worse is he is closed minded to any opnion but his own.
Stfu, you're a ******' idiot. Hypocritical *****.

Quick Reply: Poppacap vs mappins!