Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR TA012 instant center position and quick review

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BMR TA012 instant center position and quick review

Looking to see how many people have used this set up and what they found to be the best for their instant center adjustment. The TA012 has 5 holes for adjustment.. from what I've read being an A4 and going for mostly drag strip performance I started at the 2nd hole from the top. I know that every car is different but wanted to see what other have found to be the best.

Since this a relatively new product I'll do a quick review. Overall this set up is pretty bad ***.. it goes over my 3" exhaust and clears underneath the driveshaft. I still need to install the driveshaft loop and make my pinion angle adjustment.. sounds like -2 for auto works best but open for opinions..

One downfall was I had to remove my driveshaft to initially get the cross brace in.. maybe not necessary but while on jack stands I couldn't squeeze it in any other way.. then I made the mistake of installing the torque arm then trying to install the driveshaft.. it does fit but damn close lol.

2nd downfall is the cross brace touches the merge of my y-pipe ever so slightly.. all I would need is 1-2mm and I'd be good.. it's that tight of a fit but no ground clearance issues for me.. I'll have a local exhaust shop help me with the small clearance issue.

Overall great product from BMR! I'm excited to see what this thing will do for my 60ft times.. Thanks to brute speed for a great price (which has now changed) but it was the best deal at the time by far!

I'll try to post pictures so everyone can take a look if they are interested in this product for their builds! I haven't really found much so hopefully this will be a helpful thread for others..it is perfect for lowered vehicles!! Thanks for any input in advance for the initial question.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You're welcome Adam, thanks. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tried to install the drive shaft loop tonight and not sure how I'll be able to make it fit without hammering an area in a little under the car.. i could probably get it to fit but it would be touching under the car and vibration would probably be horrible. I tried loosening and moving the cross brace as much as I could but no luck. I'll figure something out eventually or i just won't run it if it's too much of a hassle. Next step is just getting my pinion angle set and it will be ready. Hopefully someone will have thoughts on instant center before I get it adjusted.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the same setup.

The drive shaft loop will fit it just fits right against the body. You should not have any vibration for the the loop as the loop and mount are fixed to the body.

My TSP y pipe does touch slightly also at the mount however I have wrapped the mount with spark plug boot protector (heat resistant) to keep vibration noise to minimal.

I am currently running with my in the second from the top bolt holes and my angle is -2 for auto degrees like BMR instructions state.

Not sure why you had to remove the driveshaft as I was able to install 100% without removing it.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome! I am glad to hear someone running the same set up. I just couldn't find a way to get the bracket in without removing it, but the more I think about it I probably could have let the rear end down since it was supported by a jack lol that may have been my issue.. it was 2 a.m. and probably wasn't thinking haha.. how much vibration do you get from this set up? I could get the loop in I guess, my main concern was vibration but now that you say that it makes sense that it won't effect it... I'll have to try the spark plug boot trick.. can you buy that material separate or did you use a. Old spark plug wire?

As far as adjustment sounds like I'm started in the right direction.. have you played around with adjustments and found the 2nd hole from the top was best? Any overall noticeable traction improvements?

Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate this info! Very helpful
Old 04-11-2016, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RollinSScamaro
Awesome! I am glad to hear someone running the same set up. I just couldn't find a way to get the bracket in without removing it, but the more I think about it I probably could have let the rear end down since it was supported by a jack lol that may have been my issue.. l
Exactly. It should give you the room needed. I am posting some pics of mine so you can kinda see the "issues" I had

AS for the wrap.. I used some "kelvar" type stuff from my local Advanced Auto Parts I think it was (we have oreillys, advanace and autozone here) and all i did was wrap it with a piece of it and zip tied it in place. Never seemed to get hot enough to affect the ties.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks similar to mine. I actually have some left over exhaust heat wrap so that should work. I put the loop in last night so that is good to go now. Just need to make adjustments and it's good.

Do you get a lot of vibration over stock? Any noticeable traction gains at the track since you've installed it? I may not get a chance to drive mine for a few weeks so figured I'd ask. Thanks again for the help!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:03 AM
TECH Regular

Not really "Vibration" however I most definitely here the torque arm due to being chasis mounted now.

As for traction I can't tell you yet as I am still dealing with brake demons lol..
Old 04-12-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lol damn brakes.. well if you happen to get it on the road let me know.. if I get mine out soon I'll do the same.. I'm willing to except some noise from the torque arm.. the way I see it is, I have a loudmouth cat back and planning on doing a cam in the future.. won't be quiet at that point anyways.. haha
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got the car out for a test drive today! It definitely seems like my tires are planting a touch better to the ground even with my Nitto NT05'S which are horrible for traction. As far as noise, I honestly couldn't tell it was different unless I really listened closely and thought about it. I was expecting it to be louder from everything I've read. I do have a LM2 and a ss400 stall so I am used to noise I guess but there wasnt any additional rear end noise that stood out to me

The only struggle I had was trying to adjust my pinion angle.. I really don't know how close I have it to -2 or not.. it's very confusing and with it being on drive up ramps it was hard to get a good look on the angle gauge. I am debating looking for a shop to check it to see how close I have it.

Overall though, anyone looking to get a BMR TA012, I highly recommend it! I did not lose any ground clearance which was key on my lowered vehicle. Awesome product and excellent quality!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put one on my M6 TA. It fortunately gives me a bit more clearance with my turbo running through the driver side and being lowered. My buddy welded it up with a bracket to help hold it since it sagged from the get go with how the exhaust is setup.

Cranking up the boost with the NT05R's it bites hard from a dig. Feels like it's more planted in the rear and seems to have alleviated my shaking i got at higher speeds because my previous stock torque arm was ruined for some reason.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RollinSS - how is it in the corners? Traditionally the short arm is for straight traction and long arm for cornering
Old 04-25-2016, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think I noticed any reduced handling but haven't really tested around a corner too quickly yet.. I have my 15" skinnies up front right now so it doesn't corner well right now. I'll throw my regular 18" fronts back on and try to take a corner a little faster and let you know how it feels. From my understanding the nose will dive more during extreme braking situations also but I haven't noticed that, but I'm not an auto cross racer either lol. I'll get back with you though!
Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Finally got it back together with my 18" rims on it. I don't notice any difference in handling or braking with nose dive, but I'm not really doing auto x or anything. In my opinion as a normal daily driver there is not a noticeable difference

Quick Reply: BMR TA012 instant center position and quick review