Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Body Disc Brakes on Chevelle - Major Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default F-Body Disc Brakes on Chevelle - Major Problems

1970 Chevelle.. previous owner installed a mini spool locker, along with (I'm guessing) upgraded axle shafts.. the axle shafts are not held in place by C-clips, but instead by this fat aluminum assembly located outside the backing plate (F-body backing plate is installed in this pic):

The axle housing does not have outer seals/bearings. The seal is located within this aluminum block assembly.

Because of this, when everything is installed, my disc brake rotors do not go on all the way.. here you can see a good amount of the emergency brake shoe being exposed..

Also, the backing plate that was originally on it is very thin, whereas the LS1 disc brake backing plate looks almost half inch thick - this also is not helping my problem

Anyone have any ideas? Do I just need to have one of these aluminum blocks machined down to where the gapping is correct?
Old 04-17-2016, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like C-clip eliminators,you best bet would be to try to find a rotor with a deeper hat but may be tough because of the internal shoe e-brake.I would likely just sell off that brake set up and get one of the generic aftermarket sets with the e-brake in the caliper instead,a lot easier to shim the caliper bracket to where you need it.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Looks like C-clip eliminators,you best bet would be to try to find a rotor with a deeper hat but may be tough because of the internal shoe e-brake.I would likely just sell off that brake set up and get one of the generic aftermarket sets with the e-brake in the caliper instead,a lot easier to shim the caliper bracket to where you need it.
Yup.. they are C-clip eliminators (learn something new everyday!).

What I decided to do is make my own brackets that mount on the inside of the outer axle housing flange. The calipers will then mount to these brackets - with proper spacing, I will be able to use the F-body brake rotors with this setup. The only downside of this is I will not have the emergency brake. The Chevelle is an automatic, so this really isn't an issue. Whenever I have enough money, I'm going to swap in a complete 12 bolt posi axle assembly, then I will use the F-body caliper mounting bracket with that setup (which has the emergency brake).

I'll get pics up when done!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

An alternative, if you want to retain the fbody brakes and bolt in axles is to go with Moser axle housing ends made to take axles with Ford style axles. You'd have to get new axles though. That's the route I went with my setup.

Some benefits over c clip eliminators: the Ford bearings don't leak and can handle more side load from hard cornering.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1981TA
An alternative, if you want to retain the fbody brakes and bolt in axles is to go with Moser axle housing ends made to take axles with Ford style axles. You'd have to get new axles though. That's the route I went with my setup.

Some benefits over c clip eliminators: the Ford bearings don't leak and can handle more side load from hard cornering.
I'm sort of aiming for the cheaper alternative right now, but I'll take that as an option in the future!

Here is a picture of the bracket I'm cutting by hand. I welded two plates together and cut/drilled them so they will be 100% identical. I still need to drill the holes for the caliper mounts and make it look a little prettier. I'm using the F-body axle to fab them up

Old 04-20-2016, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 04-20-2016, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That will work too :-). I did something similar on my first axle. I'd still have it too, if the housing didn't twist on the axle tubes.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1981TA
That will work too :-). I did something similar on my first axle. I'd still have it too, if the housing didn't twist on the axle tubes.
Was this due to the brake setup you had (similar to what I'm doing)?

Quick Reply: F-Body Disc Brakes on Chevelle - Major Problems