Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ok, here we go.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the MS3 would be fine and do everything I need it to do. I also understand that these guys know a ton more than I do about nerdier kind of stuff LOL. Some of the other stuff were on forums and some years old. Even the MS forums seem to have lots of people with lots of questions.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxman20
I feel the MS3 would be fine and do everything I need it to do. I also understand that these guys know a ton more than I do about nerdier kind of stuff LOL. Some of the other stuff were on forums and some years old. Even the MS forums seem to have lots of people with lots of questions.
I feel like there are so many questions because of the immense level of control the system offers. It is confusing but Denmah on here has done several in depth videos on how to set up various features. I'd say download the software for free and have a look at it. I felt like it was easier to use and things were mapped out better than the software Holley uses for their ecu's.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

And so it begins. This isn't going to go super fast. LOL But I will be updating as it goes. I have all of the engine parts less bearings, rings and gaskets. Need the bock cleaned up and verify the correct sizes for any of these parts just in case we need to turn something or bore it. But we should be fine as it runs fine now and doesn't burn oil.

On the truck, I need to decide if the cage goes in now or not. I plan to purchase a full cage kit from S&W and it may end up with the funny car upgrade as well. This is mainly going to be a race car that's driven on the street to shows and meets. Yes, street legal too. At least that's the current plan. I change my mind more than wives offering sex later that night.

I did pick up a powerglide about a month back that's going to work great. Also picked up a used Tial 44mm gate from another local member here. He also had a full set of Manley valves and an intake elbow so yep, got those too.

During the removal of the plugs on the trany, I managed to predict smacking my hand on the trany pan and yep, did it. Put a nice 1/2" slice on my middle finger knuckle to the bone, so now I have a couple butterflies holding it together. Got the engine and trany removed and on the ground but I kept opening up the cut. So it may be another week of heeling before I get after it again.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Well today was a little productive. I got the engine tore down to the short block. Couldn't find my puller to get the balancer off, so it went to the machine shop like that. I did find a couple of cylinders on the driver side that had sitting water in them at one time so that sucks. The shop is going to nock about .001 off of them and see if they clean up. If it gets cut too far, it looks like the SBE build may not be done. It will get a good set of pistons for sure and maybe the whole rotating assy. So 4-6 weeks at the machine shop gives me time to start working on the truck itself. I am going to start getting the interior out tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Work continues on the weekends when I have time. Interior is getting cleared out. It will be stripped out completely. Bought an S&W race cars 12 point cage. So the more I mess with this, the more its leaning towards a pure race truck. But don't worry, I am actually planning to install all aftermarket gauges in an aluminum dash panel and it will have switches for everything including lights, blinkers wipers ect. So it will be able to be inspected and driven on the street. Should be fun.

I hope to find out tomorrow about the cylinder with water damage. We are hoping we get it cleaned up with maybe .002 cut. If so then I may end up with oversized rings and run it.

Need to figure out the exhaust as well. I have a set of Sanderson shorty headers. No clue if these will work or not, they might just choke it too much. I have a set of truck manifolds too and could cut and build my own set, but these are heavy and I really don't want to add the weight if I can avoid it. And advise on of using either these?

Picked up a nice A2W intercooler from a buddy here with 4" in and out. Looks like it would handle much bigger power than I am going to make with this SBE. I am debating on the final location of the Turbo and IC. Once I get the engine back in it and the cage laid out for the front frame supports and bed/rear frame tubes, I will be able to figure out how this is going to go. I want a passenger seat for sure since its a street truck. So I am going to possibly place the turbo under the hood and the IC in the cab in between the seats if it will fit and not cause issues with me driving. Or it might fit in the glove box location above the passengers legs. I think its too large to mount up front anywhere. So its either in the cab or the bed.

Other items I picked up, Bosch 044 pump, I need another one for a dual setup. Have one? let me know. Also purchased a MS3 Gold box with universal harness from another member here. This will help clean up the engine compartment quite a bit and give me much better control of the systems. Although I'm a tuning idiot today, I will learn in time I guess.

I am also playing with my Spool gun on my MIG welder for aluminum. So far, I suck, LOL. I did think it would be easier, but I have no choice but to learn it. I have brackets to weld onto the IC for mounting, oil return bung into my oil pan, and maybe add a bung to the IC to change the water outlet location if it gets mounted laying down.

Last edited by Taxman20; 05-12-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: ok, here we go.