Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-Swap Clarification & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Swap Clarification & Questions

So, finnaly starting to gather parts for an LS swap. Getting a little overwhelmed and confused with all the information (and misinformation) on what works, what is needed, and what options would be best for my intentions. Searching for answers only seems to return outdated or contradictory information. Welcome to my first post, thanks for your hepl!!

THE CAR
1968 Firebird, street legal, small tire, 10 pt. cage, full built 400 SB, TH400, 4.11 locker in 9" with torque arm suspension. O.E. front subframe and steering.

THE PLAN
LQ4, twin turbo, continue to use TH400 and not need to move its location.

THE QUESTION
What motor mount plates are needed? I have seen both "stock location" and 1" rear mentioned in articles, when using TH400/350 transmissions. I have seen the "slide adjustable" ones, but would rather get proper plates.

Accessorie drive.... I will only be using the alternator (belt or electric water pump options open). Where is the best place for the alternator, to give maximum room for turbos & plumbing? I have seen a lower driver side bracket, that used an electric water pump, but does the altermnator clear the subframe in that location?

Thanks for your time!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

LS motors are flush with the back of the head so in order to place it into the stock location to bolt to your transmission you will want the 1" setback plates.

Some plates are labeled as stock location and some 1" setback. They basically both mean the same thing.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

You can use 1" set-back/ stock location plates on a 1st-gen F-body but be aware that you won't be able to use the stock trans dipstick tube or a SB heater core if your car is equipped with one.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1964SS
LS motors are flush with the back of the head so in order to place it into the stock location to bolt to your transmission you will want the 1" setback plates.

Some plates are labeled as stock location and some 1" setback. They basically both mean the same thing.

Cool, that's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for clearing up the confusion as to why I was seeing 2 descriptions, for what is essentially the same application!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You can use 1" set-back/ stock location plates on a 1st-gen F-body but be aware that you won't be able to use the stock trans dipstick tube or a SB heater core if your car is equipped with one.
Thanks... I already have a Lokar firewall mounted dip stick. I assume that should still work. I also have a flush firewall, no heater box to worry about.

Side note Todd.... I read that you work for Holley?
Old 05-11-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Drag68Bird
Thanks... I already have a Lokar firewall mounted dip stick. I assume that should still work. I also have a flush firewall, no heater box to worry about.

Side note Todd.... I read that you work for Holley?
The Lokar piece should give you the clearance you need...and they are a PITA to add fluid through according to many users. Yes, I work for Holley as the designer of all the Hooker LS swap system components.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Teching In

I have a 67 Camaro and went with the dirty dingo sliding mounts and it fit perfectly and the trans stayed in the stock location (mine is also a turbo 400). I thought they were definitely nice pieces.

and the best bang for the buck alternator bracket is here.... http://www.billet-speed.com/ls-alternator-only-bracket/

here's the setup in the car.

and here's the never ending pile its in.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. But it looks like that bracket would put the alternator in the way of the 2nd turbo.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Option 1. not sure who makes this? looks very nice, can upgrade to an electric water pump. But not sure if would clear the subframe?
Attached Thumbnails Pre-Swap Clarification & Questions-firebird-alt.-1.jpg   Pre-Swap Clarification & Questions-firebird-alt.-3.jpg  
Old 05-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Option 2. by Kwik performance. would make more room for turbos, but now need to worry about hood clearance?
Attached Thumbnails Pre-Swap Clarification & Questions-firebird-alt.-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pre-Swap Clarification & Questions