Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

*Place your bets* GT350 vs stock 6th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by MACHXLR8
Hio, I always felt you were sharp and talented guy but then you go throw terms around like "artificial torque".

Lol..What the hell is that? Are you making up a new form of power measurement that only applies to Ford motors? Don't let me lose faith in you, man.
Useing gear to multiple the tq you don't have is artificial tq.
Originally Posted by 99peweterls1
Wrong, by your stature the earth is flat if you think rpm is the only deciding factor. Smh it's like talking to a wall and not a smart one either. Lol
Go out side and tie a string to a rock. Do it at say 30rpm. Then ramp ut up to 40 rpm. I bet you'll be working harder.
Your 100 percent right. However we're not talking about output, but rather how "hard" the engine is working to complete the task. He doesn't seem to think the voodoo's design matters vs the ls7 and figures 1000rpm diffrence is the end all be all. Lol
I never said that. I simply said the voodoo is working harder. .....and it is.
Originally Posted by Poppacapp
Yes.. Voodoo is clearly a superior engine to the LS7... GM fans refuse to believe it, and stand there with eyes closed shaking their heads saying "No No No No"
How so?

Not here it ain't

Originally Posted by slowZZZ
526 > 505. I'm just saying the Voodoo dyno looks low compared to others and the LS7 looks really high compared to others. I wouldn't be surprised if the GT350 is losing more power with 91 than the LS7 is, not even counting drivetrain differences.

Luckily 93 and E85 is everywhere where I live... California must suck for gas.

Voodoo has higher peak power output than the LS7 whether you like it or not. Just at a glance, by 6500 RPM the LS7 torque is falling off to Voodoo levels. Not that you would spend a lot of time at 6500-7000 on the track with the LS7 anyways. The Voodoo on the other hand still has 1750 RPM to play with at 6500 where the power is matching and then beating the LS7. At 6500 it's still picking up steam. With the gearing and how quickly the Voodoo revs, I don't see any reason to ever be much below 6k RPM's, but we'll see.

The biggest difference is the torque range that actually matters to the LS7 (3500-6000), the LS7 has a big torque advantage and it's decently flat (GT350 is surprisingly a little flatter) which kicks *** for road course. I will point out though, that is an unusually high torque output from the LS7. There were stock C6Z's dyno'ing under 415wtq. I wonder if they made changes to the LS7 for the Z/28. I can't imagine it had a more efficient drivetrain than the C6Z's did???

Clearly the Voodoo did something right power wise, because Motortrend tested the GT350 1/4 mile 12.4 @ 117.8. Z/28 tested at 12.3 @ 116.1. These cars weigh within 30 lbs of each other.

The Voodoo also lacked DI, was down 1.8L, and still ended up making more power. Sure, it had to use 3 more cam shafts, 16 more valves, flat plane crank, and VVTI to do it, but it's playing at a huge displacement deficit. When it comes to NA, displacement eventually becomes a choke point.

I ran VIR Full Course @ 2:09. Stock everything, street tires. The car definitely had more in it, but I'm nowhere near pro driver level. The C6Z limits are just so high, they are more capable than any Mustang ever made and it really does take a pro like Randy Pobst to wring every last bit of performance out... even stock w/ street tires. Of course it also still had to come home in one piece lol! With lightweight 18's all around, Hoosier R7's, and a lot more track time it definitely could hit sub 2 minutes, which is very very very fast for a street car. Probably not by me though... last thing I would ever want to do is risk wrecking it trying to break 2 minutes.

But just looking at a dyno graph isn't going to tell you how fast an engine revs.

I've always thought the LS7 was the overall better package, but there's no doubt the Voodoo is one seriously badass 5.2. Just wish it didn't only come in a 3800 lbs Mustang.
The voodoo is awesome. It just does not make more power.

You should refer to the graph above and wonder where that extra 21hp went before you say 526>505.........because it's not there. They made the same hp but the voodoo made less tq. That my friend is a less powerful engine.

If a c6z was dynoing at less than 415 i would be questioning something. From a quick look many have dyno'd over 460. Now with the z28 having electric ps you can see why it would dyno more.

Ls7s are underated a bit btw. Could be why the dyno is close.

Now....back to the 6gen vs gt350. Here's another test. In this one it matches the gt350 stopping distance and goes a 23.9 figure 8.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...ro-ss-arrival/

Last edited by HioSSilver; 07-13-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hio has a different set of gears in his ford rear end so he can multiply the torque he doesn't have.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
How so?

Not here it ain't

Well let see.. average rwhp for C6Z stock is 440ish rwhp... I would say that dyno was a farce, and the Z28 was a ringer. Show me examples of 2 other... hell ONE other stock Z28 that has put that to the wheels. I will wait....
Old 07-13-2016, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

The problem with artificial torque is there's none left when it's all gone.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Well let see.. average rwhp for C6Z stock is 440ish rwhp... I would say that dyno was a farce, and the Z28 was a ringer. Show me examples of 2 other... hell ONE other stock Z28 that has put that to the wheels. I will wait....
He can't.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Not really what I would call neck and neck... Nanner clearly was able to pull. And imo had we stretched it out more mph the pull would have gotten worse.
One of the closest races ive ever seen without it being a tie.

Looks like you lost the last one to me. But I think you said the bro was getting warm lol.

Looked close enough that if you didn't have a drag pack you would have lost. A switch to a 93 tune you would have lost. An extra passenger you would have lost. Funny thing is...the op beat an e85 car in a close race...and it didn't have a drag pack. Has beaten it from rolls and at the track.

You needed every single one of your mods for the win. IMO.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The voodoo is awesome. It just does not make more power.

You should refer to the graph above and wonder where that extra 21hp went before you say 526>505.........because it's not there. They made the same hp but the voodoo made less tq. That my friend is a less powerful engine.

If a c6z was dynoing at less than 415 i would be questioning something. From a quick look many have dyno'd over 460. Now with the z28 having electric ps you can see why it would dyno more.

Ls7s are underated a bit btw. Could be why the dyno is close.

Now....back to the 6gen vs gt350. Here's another test. In this one it matches the gt350 stopping distance and goes a 23.9 figure 8.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...ro-ss-arrival/
I've already told you why. 350R made more whp actually. Considering the POWER output of the Voodoo was higher, it's more powerful. Also that's the highest Z/28 dyno I've ever seen. Might top all the C6Z's I've ever seen too. If anything it wasn't rated again in 2011 when they changed the exhaust so it prob makes a tick more than 505 if anything.

The wheel torque was 415, not whp in that C6Z I was talking about.

Motortrend website must be down because that link doesn't go to anything.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

No reason to wait. This is the most comparable test you will find. All 3 same dyno same day. Anything less and all of you would bitch about different dynos.

So once again. Same dyno...same day.....same fuel.....same test procedures.....same people testing

How does it get any more fair than that?

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1

Looks like you lost the last one to me. But I think you said the bro was getting warm lol.

Looked close enough that if you didn't have a drag pack you would have lost. A switch to a 93 tune you would have lost. An extra passenger you would have lost. Funny thing is...the op beat an e85 car in a close race...and it didn't have a drag pack. Has beaten it from rolls and at the track.

Poppa got 2 outta 5 that day with his modded 5br0 vs stock 6gen. He did well
Old 07-14-2016, 05:00 AM
Launching!

The string would have to be shorter and the rock smaller.. Like I said hio, don't go to the edge of the earth.You'll fall off!!
Old 07-14-2016, 05:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Aside from all of this other BS... Did this race actually ever happen? I'm lost in the BS...

Thanks for the cliffs...
Old 07-14-2016, 05:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Aside from all of this other BS... Did this race actually ever happen? I'm lost in the BS...

Thanks for the cliffs...
That's a big negative ghost rider.

Op said the weekend plans of each party didn't add up.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a big negative ghost rider.

Op said the weekend plans of each party didn't add up.

Got it... Thx...

Well, to help add to the BS of this thread, here is my first race with my 6G.

I managed to race a 13-14 CTSV sedan on the highway this past weekend in our 6G A8..

Coming home from the movies with the wife, I see this pearl white caddy chasing me down as I got on the freeway. He passed me/got ahead and I tried to line up with him to slow him down but he wouldnt slow down or square up. As soon as I caught up to his back bumper, he nailed it from about 70 ish. I did the same(chase is a race), he pulled about 1 more car on the hit(2 car lead at this point, 1 from the head start and 1 from the stolen move), after that, we were tied together.. He couldnt pull an inch and I couldnt pull an inch...ran to about 115 or so before he ran into traffic.

No doubt on an even start race, they would be VERY VERY close. Sorry for no vids...This was an unexpected deal on a sunday afternoon.

I'm not sure what a stock CTSV runs in the 1/4 but it must be pretty damn close to a 6G.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Got it... Thx...

Well, to help add to the BS of this thread, here is my first race with my 6G.

I managed to race a 13-14 CTSV sedan on the highway this past weekend in our 6G A8..

Coming home from the movies with the wife, I see this pearl white caddy chasing me down as I got on the freeway. He passed me/got ahead and I tried to line up with him to slow him down but he wouldnt slow down or square up. As soon as I caught up to his back bumper, he nailed it from about 70 ish. I did the same(chase is a race), he pulled about 1 more car on the hit(2 car lead at this point, 1 from the head start and 1 from the stolen move), after that, we were tied together.. He couldnt pull an inch and I couldnt pull an inch...ran to about 115 or so before he ran into traffic.

No doubt on an even start race, they would be VERY VERY close. Sorry for no vids...This was an unexpected deal on a sunday afternoon.

I'm not sure what a stock CTSV runs in the 1/4 but it must be pretty damn close to a 6G.
That's awesome man! It's always fun to get some strange. Which color/trans option did you get? Lol

I had a very similar experience with a buddies stock ctsv2. Posted the vid on here in fact. It was some close runs between the two. Sounds like I need to find me a stock 6th gen to run.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

The string would have to be shorter and the rock smaller.. Like I said hio, don't go to the edge of the earth.You'll fall off!!
Sorry if actual info offends you...well not really.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Sorry if actual info offends you...well not really.
Lol it's all good man
Old 07-14-2016, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

There's almost a full second between the mustang II and 6 gen stock for stock
Old 07-14-2016, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1

You need to look closer at the Mustang view camera on the last race. I was a fender up and started my pull right when we let off... we only ran to 120ish or so. I made a poor choice in camera placement for those races. But being that I was there... I know whether I was ahead or not.

Needed them all? Wrong. You tell me how the cars are evenly matched when I am able to pull from half a car behind to a full car ahead in the span of 100mph. I know exactly how the races went, and how my car was pulling on the 6gen. Had we went to 140mph there would have been zero doubt even in the Hiocrews minds which car was the faster one.

At the track? It would have been a slaughter. Which it actually was.... we met first time at my local 1/8th mile track.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

No reason to wait. This is the most comparable test you will find. All 3 same dyno same day. Anything less and all of you would bitch about different dynos.

So once again. Same dyno...same day.....same fuel.....same test procedures.....same people testing

How does it get any more fair than that?

Poppa got 2 outta 5 that day with his modded 5br0 vs stock 6gen. He did well

And again... that was a unicorn LS7.. never has that output been matched stock by one, or a C6Z. Your argument is still invalid.

We had 3 full races that day.... at the end of all 3 I was ahead. It would have just gotten worse if we had pulled higher. Get over it.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by islander033
11.699 @ 122.85.... his best ever run.

So running a time has to do with owning 2 sets of drag paks?
What's the strip/where is this at? Is it red with black wheels?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's awesome man! It's always fun to get some strange. Which color/trans option did you get? Lol

I had a very similar experience with a buddies stock ctsv2. Posted the vid on here in fact. It was some close runs between the two. Sounds like I need to find me a stock 6th gen to run.

Name:  image_zps7sdyvpes.png
Views: 56
Size:  3.69 MB

Just snooping around on the net, it seems the '13-15 CTSV sedans will run 11.90-12.2s @ 116-118 stock so.... I guess they are pretty close.. I would like to run one on a dead even start....and preferbly not from a 70+ roll....LOL

Quick Reply: *Place your bets* GT350 vs stock 6th gen