Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI subframe connector hardware question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default UMI subframe connector hardware question

I can't seem to find anyone with the ***** to weld in my UMI subframe connectors. See picture below.

Question for UMI - Is there a way for me to order just the bolt on hardware? If I can't can I buy it from the hardware store? What exactly would I need to buy?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I read your other thread, is there something bent or twisted on your car that no one wants to weld them in ?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not that I can tell. I got under the car and semi mocked them up. Lined up fine, the weld points on the car may need some work but that is why I want to pay someone to do it. Hell I would have payed a premium too. I even say "whatever you need to take your time and do it right"

I've been told 3 times to take it to a body shop. 3 Body shops said we don't do that kind of thing.

You would think in the greater Atlanta, GA area someone could freaking do it.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

You could try to send them back and exchange them for the bolt-on subframe connectors.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try an exhaust shop. The body shop I use wouldn't touch mine either. When I went to have some work done on my exhaust my guy there said, "Man, you really need SFCs.". I asked him if he would weld them up. $100 and it was done. Did a damn good job too.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

find a shop that builds racecars and welds things like rollcages in. they will do it
Old 07-29-2016, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by matt1289
Not that I can tell. I got under the car and semi mocked them up. Lined up fine, the weld points on the car may need some work but that is why I want to pay someone to do it. Hell I would have payed a premium too. I even say "whatever you need to take your time and do it right"

I've been told 3 times to take it to a body shop. 3 Body shops said we don't do that kind of thing.

You would think in the greater Atlanta, GA area someone could freaking do it.
That's strange you cant find any one to do this, it's a straight forward job that takes an hour or two.

Are these guys close to you ? They might do the job or have a recommendation for you. http://www.spartanlsxperformance.com/

If you want to take a road trip to the mountains in Park City Utah I'll weld them in for you.

Last edited by conan; 07-29-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
You could try to send them back and exchange them for the bolt-on subframe connectors.
I had read that bolt in sfc does nothing except add weight - either weld or don't bother. Any truth to that?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

They stiffen up my car but I can’t say if is as stiff as a car with welded in connectors, because I have no experience with the welded on ones. In OP first post he asks about hardware to bolt on his weld in connectors. Just giving him options not saying one is better than the other but I would think the weld in one would stiffen up the car more. The three point bolt ons do tie into the body pretty good.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Either way I will be welding them in. I just picked up a welder to learn how. Screw these pussies.

I was planning to bolt them in and them weld them in later.

On a side note... I'm completely forgot what I was going to do today because of someones avatar....
Old 07-30-2016, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by matt1289
Either way I will be welding them in. I just picked up a welder to learn how. Screw these pussies.

I was planning to bolt them in and them weld them in later.

On a side note... I'm completely forgot what I was going to do today because of someones avatar....
I just welded in UMI's at home in my driveway using a buddy's 110v Lincoln 140. It worked fine. I do have some experience welding but I'm not "a welder". As you probably already know, make sure you load the suspension. Get the car up high. I drove my front up on ramps and then jacked up the rear using the diff and placed 4x4 blocks under the rear wheels. I highly suggest going with at least 6" blocks under the rear wheels. Make sure you grind the paint and powder coating off really well where you will be welding.

Good luck man. Let me know if I can help.

Quick Reply: UMI subframe connector hardware question