Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just your average f1a 403 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just your average f1a 403 Build Thread

so I figured let me start a build thread since I have a good amount of parts coming in. Please critique my setup if you have any comments or suggestions let me know!

Little background of the car. I have owned this SS for 9 years now and its been through hell and back. bought it stock, then it was cam only, then 383, with many different head cam setups added spray, kept finding weak links in the drivetrain so it has been off the road more often then driving. about 2 years ago bought a t56 magnum from rockland, 2 weeks later it grenaded at 7200 rpm and the car spun out in top of 4th. thank god no one was hurt and the car only lost a bumper which leads me to the build I always wanted just never did till now. every part of this car is or has been gone over now.

Motor
403 Aluminum LS2 10.1 to 1 Compression(block brand new have)
-15cc Wisecos K445x05(have)
total seal rings and HD steel pins
6.125 Callies Ultra H beam rods
4.00 Callies Dragonslayer crank
Frankenstein Racing Heads cnc cathederal trickflows 237cc ferrera 2.08/1.60 valves 65cc chambers ,FRH PAC .650 springs (have)
Cam motion custom speced cam 238/250 .620/.612 116lsa speced by Kip Fabre (have)
Ported fast 102/NW102
kooks 2inch x 3 LTs, 3 inch kooks ory, magnaflow catback with cutout (have)
Yella Terra 1.7 roller rockers
Morel 5206 link bar lifters
Manton 3/8 Pushrods (TBD)
Griffin 55241 stand up radiator with spal 16inch and 9 inch fans. shroud custom made my Mighty mouse (have)
truck d585 coils, msd wires, debating which plugs to run

Procharger
F1a reverse rotation (have)
7.65 crank pulley 3.85 head unit pulley. Gates HD belt. Maxing the f1a out at 6800rpm (have)
Aster Bracket
procharger FMIC
procharger big red race valve
ati super damper
MM solutions catch can

Fueling
Lonnies Dual intake walbro 255s (have)
-8an feed, -6an return (have)
Fuellab Boost referenced regulator and filter (have)
Injector Dynamics 1000s
Alky control dual nozzle progressive meth kit dual m15 nozzles (have)

Drivetrain
Rpm Stage 5 t56 magnum with cobra overdrives (have)
factory hurst with lous short stick (have)
Monster lt1r Twin disc clutch (have)
Tick adj master cylinder (have)
Quicktime SFI bellhousing
Dennys Nitrous Drive Shaft
Moser 9 inch. 35 spline axles, Wavetrac, 3.70s (have)

Suspension
Umi tubular k member (have)
Front qa1 adjustable coil overs with 300lb springs (have)
Rear Viking adjustable coil overs with traverse mount 150lb springs(have)
Umi tunnel mounted tq arm (have)
Umi rear lcas, panhard bar, drag bar (have)
umi subframe connectors (have)
Wolfe 6pt roll bar (have)
G force camlock 5 pt harnesses (have)

Tires and Brakes
Street setup 17 x 9.5 c5z06s with 305/45/17 Mickey Thompson ET Street Rs (have)
Drag setup 15 x 10 Weld RTS just on the rears. (have) (need to find a nice 28inch tire for these)
New hawk hps pads, centric rotors all around (have)

car has some weight reduction to it, autometer gauges etc didn't include any appearance related items in this thread. mostly this is to critique me and progress for me to see what else I need and where I'm at!
Will be adding pictures of everything that is coming in and progress of the car shortly. if you think I can improve anything please let me know! I'm going all out on this build. I'm sure there are other things that I am forgetting to add.

other things I am thinking about doing is tubular front a arms upper and lower, looking into a sjm abs delete kit since the car was a 4 channel but since I ripped the tcs box out I lost abs to, saw on facebook a guy makes a ac firewall delete panel that retains heat so I have to pick that up and maybe a vfn fiberglass hood,braided brake lines.

Last edited by SStressin; 10-08-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Sounds like a very solid motor. I doubt it will be a restriction, but I would probably go to -10an feed and -8an return. Since it appears that you have not listed the fuel lines as something you currently have. This should be a beast.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a stout build. Good luck with her.

What do you have for the blower hat ? What about radiator/fans ?
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan

Looks like a stout build. Good luck with her.

What do you have for the blower hat ? What about radiator/fans ?
Thank you. Once i get the blower on im going to have one fabricated with a big filter.

Radiator is a griffin 52241 and a spal 16inch and 9inch fans. I have to get some part numbers i forgot them on the top of my head
Old 07-26-2016, 07:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Should be a good setup. For reference, I'm a 416ls3, with decent heads, and an F1-a as well, but with only a 4.00" pulley I made 862/760, but spinning the tires through the peak torque.

I had a few issues with the car on the dyno, but all sorted out, I should be a little north of 900 now.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Should be a good setup. For reference, I'm a 416ls3, with decent heads, and an F1-a as well, but with only a 4.00" pulley I made 862/760, but spinning the tires through the peak torque.

I had a few issues with the car on the dyno, but all sorted out, I should be a little north of 900 now.
I'm hoping for mid 900s. I was playing with pulley sizes was debating go with a 3.70 but limit rpms to 6600 or go 3.90 and shift at 7000 but I went with 3.85 and see where that gets me. I'm hoping for around 18lbs of boost. if I could hit 1000 that would be awesome.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No budget build here haha. Good luck mate!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Budget LS Guy
No budget build here haha. Good luck mate!
Yes didnt cheap out on anything on this one. I learned the hard way gotta pay to play. This build took my time didnt rush no expense spared.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SStressin
Thank you. Once i get the blower on im going to have one fabricated with a big filter.

Radiator is a griffin 52241 and a spal 16inch and 9inch fans. I have to get some part numbers i forgot them on the top of my head
Nice, make sure the air dam is still intact if its gone from the car.

Yes didnt cheap out on anything on this one. I learned the hard way gotta pay to play. This build took my time didnt rush no expense spared.
You definitely did some home work and spent some change, you'll be happy in the end for sure

I would also look in to a vacuum manifold and bumper support for the front mount cooler.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure the twin 255s will be enough pump though. Be prepared to swap out to bigger pumps.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan
Nice, make sure the air dam is still intact if its gone from the car.You definitely did some home work and spent some change, you'll be happy in the end for sure

I would also look in to a vacuum manifold and bumper support for the front mount cooler.
I am thinking of having a fab shop run some aluminim pipe for it and have it end up infront of intercooler behind the grille to get some nice air flow. I dont mind having to notch the rad support since im standing the rad up anyway.

I actually have a vibrant vacuum manifold i forgot to put on the list. I wasnt going to get a bumper support. Mine is already removed and it looks like the procharger intercooler mounts right on the car so not to sure i need one.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm not sure the twin 255s will be enough pump though. Be prepared to swap out to bigger pumps.
I hope they will be enough. Lonnie said there good for 1000 at the wheels with a -8supply and -6 return. If not will some 340s be good? If it is as simple as popping my pumps out and plugging those pumps in i have no problem even changing them now. Just hoping they are same connector and size where they will fit in the bucket.

As for the lines connecting to the stock bucket. I see some people drill through the plastic and have an elbow fitting right to the pump which looks like the right way to go.

Is there any draw backs from having the screw type push connect fittings to-8an that russell sells?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build. Engine pretty much identical to mine. Same block, pistons, crank, and rods.

-8 feed and -6 return should work fine. Running same at 1000 rwhp with no issues.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Launching!

there are mixed thoughts but while motor is apart may as well make sure you either go with 1/2 head studs or go with the most gnarly ARP head studs you can get. If you research around you will find some the part number for the strongest ones ARP makes, which are some special alloy or something. I think texas speed should have them in stock? I just ended up going with 6 bolt LSX block after researching but I could see you pushing the limits of 4 bolt heads with that setup at some point.

not sure as everyone is different, i had some issues with FAST at 14psi so I prefer the stock ls3/7 intake manifolds. I made 900whp with a D1 through stock ls7 easily so intake shouldn't be an issue but for less issues I'd recommend stock

procharger suggested at 1000whp level to consider running two BOV also, I run a single big red at 900whp with zero issues but something to consider

I also ran the largest intake tube I could from intercooler to throttle body. My car came with I think a 3.75" tube but I upgraded to I believe 4" (stock tube from ECS kit) as you want to slow the air speed down a little for better methanol atomization. not sure what you have but worth checking to make sure it's a big one. just my $0.02

if it were me i'd have it tuned speed density and then have the tuner tune it with a velocity stack on there so you can run that at the track if you want. I'd be surprised if this thing set on "kill" with a big stack on the front of the blower doesn't make 1k whp.

surprised you're running d585 coils?

this thing is going to be a BEAST. in for pics.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Run dual 450 and convert to e85 if you have it near u. This seems to be the magic for a set up like urs.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice build, you're going to have a lot of fun with it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 07-29-2016, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by neverstop
there are mixed thoughts but while motor is apart may as well make sure you either go with 1/2 head studs or go with the most gnarly ARP head studs you can get. If you research around you will find some the part number for the strongest ones ARP makes, which are some special alloy or something. I think texas speed should have them in stock? I just ended up going with 6 bolt LSX block after researching but I could see you pushing the limits of 4 bolt heads with that setup at some point.

not sure as everyone is different, i had some issues with FAST at 14psi so I prefer the stock ls3/7 intake manifolds. I made 900whp with a D1 through stock ls7 easily so intake shouldn't be an issue but for less issues I'd recommend stock

procharger suggested at 1000whp level to consider running two BOV also, I run a single big red at 900whp with zero issues but something to consider

I also ran the largest intake tube I could from intercooler to throttle body. My car came with I think a 3.75" tube but I upgraded to I believe 4" (stock tube from ECS kit) as you want to slow the air speed down a little for better methanol atomization. not sure what you have but worth checking to make sure it's a big one. just my $0.02

if it were me i'd have it tuned speed density and then have the tuner tune it with a velocity stack on there so you can run that at the track if you want. I'd be surprised if this thing set on "kill" with a big stack on the front of the blower doesn't make 1k whp.

surprised you're running d585 coils?

this thing is going to be a BEAST. in for pics.
Right now i have the arp regular head studs. When im getting the block machined i will see how much they will charge for 1/2 studs. Was thinking of getting the main caps pinned/doweled to.

Its a cathederal head so its either fast ,ls6 or ls2. I havent heard of many problems with the 102s and boost like the stories of the 90s back in the day.

Car is getting tuned in speed density. My good friend tunes and my old 383 setup was on speed density too.

Not to sure what the procharger fmic pipeing size is. I was thinking of just buying the intercooler and brackets and fabbing up aluminum pipe instead of the steel they use so i could do 4inch then

Why are you suprised i am running d585s? Good coils and they are cheap. Deff better then ls1s.

On the dyno i plan on removing the filter and hopefully i hit the 4digit mark. Im happy with anything over 900. Past that i will never get this car too hook with the m6
Old 07-29-2016, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Very nice build, you're going to have a lot of fun with it! Bob
Thanks Bob! Still have a few things left to order from you! You hooked me up with my 9inch years ago and most recently with my headunit and all the procharger stuff
Old 07-30-2016, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Right now i have the arp regular head studs. When im getting the block machined i will see how much they will charge for 1/2 studs. Was thinking of getting the main caps pinned/doweled to.

Its a cathederal head so its either fast ,ls6 or ls2. I havent heard of many problems with the 102s and boost like the stories of the 90s back in the day.

Car is getting tuned in speed density. My good friend tunes and my old 383 setup was on speed density too.

Not to sure what the procharger fmic pipeing size is. I was thinking of just buying the intercooler and brackets and fabbing up aluminum pipe instead of the steel they use so i could do 4inch then

Why are you suprised i am running d585s? Good coils and they are cheap. Deff better then ls1s.

On the dyno i plan on removing the filter and hopefully i hit the 4digit mark. Im happy with anything over 900. Past that i will never get this car too hook with the m6
Personally I wouldn't spend money on a fast intake or 1/2 inch studs. An LS2 manifold works great and will get you where you want to be. I'm not familiar with those heads but as long as they have a thick deck they should be ok for that level of power.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Realcanuk
Personally I wouldn't spend money on a fast intake or 1/2 inch studs. An LS2 manifold works great and will get you where you want to be. I'm not familiar with those heads but as long as they have a thick deck they should be ok for that level of power.
https://vimeo.com/4192845

Back at the old EPP shop we were at 809 rwhp with this CTS-V with an LS2/402 with 9.5/1 compression, AFR heads, my blower cam, LS2 intake and an F-1A at 14.4 psi. We swapped the LS2 intake for a FAST 92, and we lost 2 psi of boost, but the rwhp went from 809 to 864! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Just your average f1a 403 Build Thread