Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by redtacoma31
Todd I am running the 4L80E and the stock 12bolt. The suspension is all stock right now. The car seems to sit lower due to old springs I think. I would like a lower look. Not sure if I want to go 1" or 2". But I know I want that lower look. I have a welder and I have done tons of fabrication. My plans would be to take the stock cross member and turn it into a 2 piece design like the holley member. But if the holley cross member allows for more wiggle room then I will purchase it. Thanks
The lower you go with your rear suspension with that 12-bolt, the larger your U-joint operating angles will be. You can run a 1" drop and easily end up with excellent U-joint angles. A 2" drop would be at the limit for not having to cut the tunnel open to adjust angles and anything more than that I wouldn't recommend unless you were running a Ford 9" rear.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The lower you go with your rear suspension with that 12-bolt, the larger your U-joint operating angles will be. You can run a 1" drop and easily end up with excellent U-joint angles. A 2" drop would be at the limit for not having to cut the tunnel open to adjust angles and anything more than that I wouldn't recommend unless you were running a Ford 9" rear.
Whats the transmission output angle with the forward mounts, 4L80E, with the holley crossmember?
Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Whats the transmission output angle with the forward mounts, 4L80E, with the holley crossmember?
Thanks
2.5 degrees is the number achieved during my development efforts, but that doesn't mean a hill of beans to your car unless you measured the same reference point on your frame that I did on my development car with your car at the same ride height and there was no damage to your frame. That reference measurement is only important as to how it relates to the U-joint working angles associated with it, which in the case or your car using the Hooker engine brackets and crossmember would be less than 3 degrees.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Todd sorry for all the armature questions. I am really new to this driveline stuff. Engine and transmission work are my cup of tea. Does the transmission point up 2.5 degrees or down? How much tunnel clearance do you have with the hooker crossmember? Do you have enough to push the transmission up more if needed with shims?
Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd sorry for all the armature questions. I am really new to this driveline stuff. Engine and transmission work are my cup of tea. Does the transmission point up 2.5 degrees or down? How much tunnel clearance do you have with the hooker crossmember? Do you have enough to push the transmission up more if needed with shims?
Thanks
The transmission pointing down. I had a minimum of 3/8 clearance between the trans case and tunnel everywhere. You can shim the tail of the transmission if needed somewhat, but there's only so far you can go before you'll have to cut the floor open. I can tell you from working on the eight various 68-72 A-bodies that I used to develop the components that you will be cutting the floor to acheive desireable U-joint angles using a 12-bolt rearend and any rear suspension drop beyond 2".
Old 07-25-2016, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you so much.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

If cutting the floor is not desirable and you still want to lower the car more, you can get a CV driveshaft, which is what I have in both the 70 GTO and my Cougar.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...-or-muscle-car

In the Cougar I also run a CV at the pinion gear, while on the GTO the rear uses a u-joint. If I was to do the GTO over again, I'd do double CV joints. Frank at The Driveshaft Shop will probably tell you that it's not necessary, but the Cougar is super smooth even when the driveshaft is spinning at 5000 rpm...

Andrew
Old 07-25-2016, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
If cutting the floor is not desirable and you still want to lower the car more, you can get a CV driveshaft, which is what I have in both the 70 GTO and my Cougar.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...-or-muscle-car

In the Cougar I also run a CV at the pinion gear, while on the GTO the rear uses a u-joint. If I was to do the GTO over again, I'd do double CV joints. Frank at The Driveshaft Shop will probably tell you that it's not necessary, but the Cougar is super smooth even when the driveshaft is spinning at 5000 rpm...

Andrew
Thanks for the advice. I don't like the idea of cutting up my car. Whats the power this driveshaft could hold? I can be tough on stuff.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. I don't like the idea of cutting up my car. Whats the power this driveshaft could hold? I can be tough on stuff.
The CVs are very strong. They are designed to be used at the axle after the torque multiplication of the ring and pinion gears. They did testing on a carbon tube and a 1350 yoke failed before the tube.

Andrew
Old 07-25-2016, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

The CVs are very strong. They are designed to be used at the axle after the torque multiplication of the ring and pinion gears. They did testing on a carbon tube and a 1350 yoke failed before the tube.

Andrew
Thats impressive.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

A suitable 1970 El Camino was found to replace the first one we brought in for development of an El Camino/convertible transmission crossmember and found its frame to be severely bent out of shape. I've finished the preliminary in-car mock-up work and so will be moving this project into the CAD phase next week...here's a couple of images for those interested in what a complete Hooker/Holley/Quicktime set-up looks like installed under an El Camino; a convertible installation would look the same
Old 08-20-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Todd,

Presumably the new El Camino had transmission tunnel work to accommodate the T56?

Andrew
Old 08-20-2016, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd,

Presumably the new El Camino had transmission tunnel work to accommodate the T56?

Andrew
No Andrew, we're using the forward bias engine brackets and the trans is a T56 Magnum, which has a more forward shifter housing location than the 4th-gen F-body T56...the only tunnel cutting/rebuilding that is required with this configuration is immediately adjacent to the shifter housing. By comparison, the entire tunnel would have to be cut-out and rebuilt If this same selection of components was attempted to be installed using the Hooker rear bias engine brackets...it's a night and day difference.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

No Andrew, we're using the forward bias engine brackets and the trans is a T56 Magnum, which has a more forward shifter housing location than the 4th-gen F-body T56...the only tunnel cutting/rebuilding that is required with this configuration is immediately adjacent to the shifter housing. By comparison, the entire tunnel would have to be cut-out and rebuilt If this same selection of components was attempted to be installed using the Hooker rear bias engine brackets...it's a night and day difference.
Interesting....Do you happen to have a picture of the interior and shows where the shifter comes up?

Andrew
Old 08-20-2016, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Interesting....Do you happen to have a picture of the interior and shows where the shifter comes up?

Andrew
I don't have one in my possession at the moment, but I can surely take one for you on Monday morning.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have one in my possession at the moment, but I can surely take one for you on Monday morning.
I'd appreciate that!

Thanks.

Andrew
Old 08-21-2016, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Any ETA on crossmember availability?
Old 08-21-2016, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Any ETA on crossmember availability?
Hey chuckd71, going off the development timeline of previous crossmembers at this stage, I'd guess around 60-75 days.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Todd,

Did you happen to take this picture?

Andrew
Old 09-05-2016, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

No, I haven't had the opportunity to do it yet as the car is still up on the lift. As soon as I can lower it I'll take a shot for you.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview