Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe rookie question but here is my dilema.

Drivers side ALWAYS comes up and down no issues

Passenger side ONLY works when it wants it seems. If i "manually" turn the thing up and down with an allen wrench even the slightest amount it works again. It can go all days or sometimes only after one start and stop.

I have so far taken out the passenger side. I have clean connector and have also weathertighted better with some dielectric grease. I know its getting power as the lights come on and as i mentioned above if i touch manual **** even 1/16" turn it comes and down just fine.

My motors both have brass gears so I know that is not an issue.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as i hate the one eyed look and well the car seems to fight me every chance it gets. (only 68K on 2002)
Old 09-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by klinznilk
Maybe rookie question but here is my dilema.

Drivers side ALWAYS comes up and down no issues

Passenger side ONLY works when it wants it seems. If i "manually" turn the thing up and down with an allen wrench even the slightest amount it works again. It can go all days or sometimes only after one start and stop.

I have so far taken out the passenger side. I have clean connector and have also weathertighted better with some dielectric grease. I know its getting power as the lights come on and as i mentioned above if i touch manual **** even 1/16" turn it comes and down just fine.

My motors both have brass gears so I know that is not an issue.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as i hate the one eyed look and well the car seems to fight me every chance it gets. (only 68K on 2002)
See post 1749 and work back from there. You may have this open issue which continues to stump and bewilder us. Try tapping on the hood or slamming it shut to see if it works in lieu of your Allen wrench thing. That should confirm if you are in the same boat (sinking) with us.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the ground and it looked good, I cleaned it anyways and put it back together and it still has the issue.

I took the headlight module apart because I'd read that some Corvette owners got water in theirs but that's not the case here. The circuit board looks good and nothing is burnt. There's a little browning of the rosin on the back of the circuit board near the 4 pin connector, but nothing major.

I also took apart the headlight switch in the dashboard and I didn't find any problems there either. It's very odd that they go up mostly ok when going straight from off to full on, but if I stop at the parking lights first for more than a couple seconds they won't go up after that. Any idea where else to look?
Old 09-02-2016, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The wiring isn't terribly complicated. This is a 96, but 97 should be the same. Check fuses, check for power coming into the module, maybe power the motors directly and make sure they cycle both ways smoothly.

97s came with DRL's, that may even be causing your problem. Try unplugging the module (mounted inside the dash behind the radio) and see if your issue goes away.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Teching In

I was wondering if anyone has info about fixing headlight jiggle. It seems like maybe the linkages are loose? They go up and down just fine, but they drive me nuts on the highway because they shake constantly!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Default '95 TransAm headlight replacement

I have a '95 Firebird, love the car, hate how the headlights pop up like a para-scope. I'm trying to find a way to customize to have them raise about half way, sort of a low-profile version of the same setup. Any ideas, links or shops that would do this? I have seen it on Corvettes but only non-popup for the Firebirds.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by My95TA
I have a '95 Firebird, love the car, hate how the headlights pop up like a para-scope. I'm trying to find a way to customize to have them raise about half way, sort of a low-profile version of the same setup. Any ideas, links or shops that would do this? I have seen it on Corvettes but only non-popup for the Firebirds.
They call this a "Camaro."
Old 09-30-2016, 02:22 PM

Not at all close. DON'T want the FIXED headlights, those are easy enough to find. I want the pop-up style just a little modded to come up ~2 inches lower (give or take) than they do stock. Just wondering if that is a possibility.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by My95TA
Not at all close. DON'T want the FIXED headlights, those are easy enough to find. I want the pop-up style just a little modded to come up ~2 inches lower (give or take) than they do stock. Just wondering if that is a possibility.
At risk of perpetuating bad habits/ideas... (This is really hard to do an have the lights show legal light on the road.)

Yes, this has been "done." The challenge is that the lens buckets are pointed down-ish when they are partially open, so the only way to get proper light on the road is to do a lot of fabrication and use smaller, projector-style bulbs.

If you search for the following, you'll see some examples:
firebird projector mod
firebird lazy eye
firebird sleepy eye

^ You'll find more of this on other sites, but here is one that you'll come across on this site:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...eepy-eyes.html

I recall some past interest in having a lazy eye mod with Camaro lenses but haven't seen anyone actually follow through with it. (I'm not sure this could actually be done due to the geometry involved.)
Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the insight, very much appreciated.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Hello everyone I am new to this group and need some help. I replaced the gears in my 98 firebirds headlight motor to brass ones a few days ago. The grinding is gone but now everyone I put the key in the ignition and turn the lights pop up and there is no way to get them down without turning off the car. Does anyone know what this might be?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Legomansk
Hello everyone I am new to this group and need some help. I replaced the gears in my 98 firebirds headlight motor to brass ones a few days ago. The grinding is gone but now everyone I put the key in the ignition and turn the lights pop up and there is no way to get them down without turning off the car. Does anyone know what this might be?
I'd double check the arms that connect the doors to the motors to make sure they are on correctly and are hitting the correct up/down stops.

You didn't order the Australian model brass gears, did you?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I'd double check the arms that connect the doors to the motors to make sure they are on correctly and are hitting the correct up/down stops.

You didn't order the Australian model brass gears, did you?
No I didn't order the Australian gears. I checked the arms and they are on correctly and hitting the correct stops.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

( was there a particular problem with the Aussie brass gears to be aware of...? )

( I'm using brass gears from somewhere in the US )
Old 10-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by joecar
( was there a particular problem with the Aussie brass gears to be aware of...? )
They work upside down, of course.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol, of course , but not if you're looking at this map of the world:

Map of World from Aussie perspective.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:24 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by joecar
lol, of course , but not if you're looking at this map of the world:
We need to be careful, here... Most yanks can't find their own country on any map, so this could get really confusing.

I do think you are short changing Austrailia with the Mercator Projection, though. Australia is a huge continent and the Mercator makes Russia and Canada look much larger than they really are. (It also makes Alaska look like a worthy rival, which it is not.)

You might try a more fitting equal area projection in the future:

Disclaimer: If you have read through all 1800 posts of this epic thread and have come to this lesson in two dimensional representations/projections of spherical surfaces, I sincerely hope that you have found the change of pace refreshing.

Dislaimer2: Headlights actually do work the same way South of the equator as they do in the North.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok, equal area projection is it (altho it distorts the shape of countries)...

yes, alot of people don't realize that Australia is almost the same size (area) as the contiguous 48-state US (and with only 20 million people scattered mostly on the coast)...

and being a giant island, Hwy 1 goes in a giant loop...!!!

( sorry, did not mean to derail the thread )
Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 PM
Teching In

I was reading through the owners manual and found this:For Canadian vehicles, a light sensor on top of the
instrument panel automatically turns the headlamps on,
so be sure it isn’t covered. For Canadian vehicles, when it’s dark enough outside,
your front turn signal lamps will go out and your
headlamps will come on. This may be it. Could the sensor be blocked maybe? I will have to check next week as mother nature spontaneously dumped 2 feet of snow on us
Old 10-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Hey guys having issues with my driver side headlight it won't pop up I've been reading through this thread and I have an extra broken headlight that has a motor on it should I try to install that motor to see if that would fix my issue of the headlight not coming up the lights work but just won't come up thanks.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE