Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still have oil consumption...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still have oil consumption...

Yeah I've done some searching, but it's just easier to post my problem + my combo and see what y'all might recommend. 99 WS6 that I drive daily. Last spring I did an LS6 intake swap along with the new LS6 valley pan and catch can because I was using oil. I didn't have any issues over the Summer but now I'm back to using about a quart every 3000 miles. The catch can is bone dry. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the lid off and see if there is any oil in the TB, but I don't really think there will be. The car doesn't smoke and runs a strong 45psi oil pressure at idle and ~70 at WOT. Sorry for the long post, just want to give as much info as I can off the bat. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not an LS1 but with my old pontiac 400 I was using oil. No leaks, no visible smoke and catch can empty. Changed the valve stem seals and it stopped. The only sign of oil burning was a higher than expected hydrocarbon count in the exhaust gas. Bottom line is, it's either leaking out or being burnt in the combustion process.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
Not an LS1 but with my old pontiac 400 I was using oil. No leaks, no visible smoke and catch can empty. Changed the valve stem seals and it stopped. The only sign of oil burning was a higher than expected hydrocarbon count in the exhaust gas. Bottom line is, it's either leaking out or being burnt in the combustion process.
My next mods are going to be heads/cam anyway, but that's going to take a little while financially. I guess I was hoping to find something I had missed in the PCV system, or any other recommendations. There aren't any VISIBLE leaks, of course that doesn't always mean anything. I'm about to go out there now and take a peak at the TB.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post a picture here of your CC routing. What type of catch can do you have? There are a ton of worthless cans out there that do nothing when it comes to separating oil.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nine8ss
Post a picture here of your CC routing. What type of catch can do you have? There are a ton of worthless cans out there that do nothing when it comes to separating oil.
I'm not exactly sure who makes the CC, but it's the one that WS6store sells a million of. The routing right now is VP (LS6, supposed to have built in PCV...?) to dirty side, clean side to TB. I read all the other threads when I set it up. Did I misunderstand something and screw it up? LoL. All other ports on the valve covers and whatnot are capped off. I appreciate the help.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Bump for assistance...?
Old 11-21-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Youve got it hooked up wrong.
The bottom nipple of the catch can needs to be hooked to the intake manifold nipple (this is the dirty line).
The throttle body nipple (this is the clean line) needs to be attached to the passenger side valve cover.
Like this:
Name:  DSC_9592.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  90.8 KB
Old 11-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Youve got it hooked up wrong.
The bottom nipple of the catch can needs to be hooked to the intake manifold nipple (this is the dirty line).
The throttle body nipple (this is the clean line) needs to be attached to the passenger side valve cover.
Like this:
Man I really appreciate that. I guess I did misunderstand when I was doing my research before installing everything. I've got an opportunity due to the holiday to get alot done to the car this week and fixing that is at the top of the list. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VirginBlacktop
Man I really appreciate that. I guess I did misunderstand when I was doing my research before installing everything. I've got an opportunity due to the holiday to get alot done to the car this week and fixing that is at the top of the list. Thanks again.
This should be a really easy fix, let us know if this fixes you issues.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This should be a really easy fix, let us know if this fixes you issues.
I already fixed it. I've got the headlights tore apart right now dealing with some issues there. I'll have to drive it for a while before Ill know for sure. By chance, do you think there was any HP loss from having it routed wrong? I smoked a Coyote the other night, LoL. Just curious if I still had more on the table.

Quick Reply: Still have oil consumption...