Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Picked up a 70k LS2... what should i do next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Picked up a 70k LS2... what should i do next?

So I picked up a used LS2 that was pulled from a TBSS. I plan on installing it into my 02 trans am paired with a 4l80e. I've already got new heads, springs, rockers, cam, timing chain, and lifters as I was originally going to heads/cam swap on my LS1, I also plan to do low boost later on. Listed below is what I plan to do for this new block
take to shop to get cleaned, re-hone cylinder walls.
New piston rings
All new bearings/journals
new front and rear main seals
I'm hoping to do this all right before installing it into the car so I don't ever have to take it back out. Anything else I should do?
I also noticed this mark on one of the pistons, should I be worried about it?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I would leave that short block together and put all that money savings into some good cylinder heads. The General designed the LS variants for quarter million miles: so at seventy you're merely getting going. That piston mark seems no big deal and once you pull the rods and pistons out, the rod big ends should be sized. Retorquing the factory bolts still makes them out of round enough that they should get a few strokes on a sunnen honing machine
IMO. the five hundred dollar savings from the short block could add a bunch more power from helping to offset CNC charges on some stock castings
Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
I would leave that short block together and put all that money savings into some good cylinder heads. The General designed the LS variants for quarter million miles: so at seventy you're merely getting going. That piston mark seems no big deal and once you pull the rods and pistons out, the rod big ends should be sized. Retorquing the factory bolts still makes them out of round enough that they should get a few strokes on a sunnen honing machine
IMO. the five hundred dollar savings from the short block could add a bunch more power from helping to offset CNC charges on some stock castings
Thanks for info, I didn't think about the rods needing honing or out of round. I already have some PRC as cast CNC heads I'll be dropping on this, but I really don't want to have to mess with anything on the lower rotating assembly after its in the car. I never saw the engine running before it was pulled so I'm not 100% sure if it has a spun bearing or any other issues, which was why I wanted to replace all those items.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

A competent machine shop can retorque the rods using oil on the threads and EPL(extreme pressure lube) under the bolt heads. Then usually three or four strokes will straighten out the big ends without having to go .002" over
Old 12-09-2016, 01:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default ROD Resize = bearing choice

OK, I agree when stock rods are fitted.

Understand when the housing bore is "opened", the bearing clearance will be increased 3X by 1X change.

This could be GREAT, if proper rod bearings are chosen.

I would fit King "standard" Tri-Metals @ 003' +., not "race"

There are many other standard Tri-Metal bearings to choose from for your fit.

Let us ALL HERE know of your "find".

Lance
Old 12-09-2016, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

if it ran with good oil pressure, cam it, seal it back up and boost it.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I have no idea what it was running before it was pulled... trying to be safe than sorry. I'm taking it to an engine shop that was recommended to me. Going to have them look over it and see what they want to do. At the very least I'll have them clean it up.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Never a bad idea to roll some fresh bearings and replace the rings while its already out and open. Since you plan to boost it later, be sure the gap the rings accordingly.

Quick Reply: Picked up a 70k LS2... what should i do next?