Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 73-87 GM truck LS swap system preview

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Toddoky got a question brother... I'm using Dirty Dingo mounts.. how do the headers fit with them..i bought them before I found your mounts.. thx brother
Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by PoweredbyChevy79
hey Toddoky got a question brother... I'm using Dirty Dingo mounts.. how do the headers fit with them..i bought them before I found your mounts.. thx brother
Why would Holley waste resources mocking up competitor's mounts?

Andrew
Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

I unfortunately can't say one way or the other as I don't test fit the Hooker headers with anything other than the mounting components I design them to be compatible with. I've also not read any anecdotal evidence of them fitting or not with any other type of mounts, although I'm sure there's guys that have used them with mounts I'm not aware of.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I unfortunately can't say one way or the other as I don't test fit the Hooker headers with anything other than the mounting components I design them to be compatible with. I've also not read any anecdotal evidence of them fitting or not with any other type of mounts, although I'm sure there's guys that have used them with mounts I'm not aware of.
thx for the help anyways brother...
Old 01-12-2017, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I saw in the 67-72chevytrucks forum that someone had used those headers..they looked like a great fit..just wanted to get a bit more feedback from some other folks
Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I saw in the 67-72chevytrucks forum that someone had used those headers..they looked like a great fit..just wanted to get a bit more feedback from some other folks
They may bolt-on to the engine, but they lack some features that come with the newer Squarebody specific headers, such as: they are not compatible with the stock LS large boot spark plug wires or 4L80 transmissions, they don't have flat finished TIG welded flanges, they don't have formed-merge collectors and I don't believe they will tuck up above the bottom of the frame rails.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

I've not posted any new information in this thread in a while and thought I'd share some new Holley accessory drive options that apply to this application.

Holley has recently released a new accessory drive system that shares the same component configuration as the 4th-gen F-body FEAD. This set-up is capable of being installed at both the F-body and truck offsets with the parts contained in the packaging; installation at the Corvette-offset is not possible.

A very cool feature of this set-up is it allows the user to install the small or large truck type alternators as you can see in the attached photos.

The new Holley low-mount A/C compressor bracket for the Sanden SD7B10 also shown in the photos has the capability of being installed at the Corvette, F-body or truck offsets, depending on the vehicle application and the specific engine swap brackets being used.

For those of you using the Hooker 12612HKR 73-87 GM truck brackets, the A/C compressor bracket can be installed at the F-body and truck offsets without have to cut or modify anything.

The parts shown in the photos were painted black by the vehicle owner and are not available from Holley in that finish; all production components are bare aluminum.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not posted any new information in this thread in a while and thought I'd share some new Holley accessory drive options that apply to this application.

Holley has recently released a new accessory drive system that shares the same component configuration as the 4th-gen F-body FEAD. This set-up is capable of being installed at both the F-body and truck offsets with the parts contained in the packaging; installation at the Corvette-offset is not possible.

A very cool feature of this set-up is it allows the user to install the small or large truck type alternators as you can see in the attached photos.

The new Holley low-mount A/C compressor bracket for the Sanden SD7B10 also shown in the photos has the capability of being installed at the Corvette, F-body or truck offsets, depending on the vehicle application and the specific engine swap brackets being used.

For those of you using the Hooker 12612HKR 73-87 GM truck brackets, the A/C compressor bracket can be installed at the F-body and truck offsets without have to cut or modify anything.

The parts shown in the photos were painted black by the vehicle owner and are not available from Holley in that finish; all production components are bare aluminum.

That's a very clean looking set up, Todd. I still wish it would fit my chevelle.

This whole swap is very clean looking. That is how I see my build looking, using Holley valve covers and fuel rails. But not ACC drive.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I wish it could've worked out for your project also. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the constraints imposed on us by the design of the vehicles we work on and the steering box location in the 64-67 A-bodies severely limits accessory drive choices. Are you still looking at the Wegner set-up?
Old 02-02-2017, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish it could've worked out for your project also. Unfortunately, we have to deal with the constraints imposed on us by the design of the vehicles we work on and the steering box location in the 64-67 A-bodies severely limits accessory drive choices. Are you still looking at the Wegner set-up?
Yes, I called and talked to them today. He was very sure it would work especially with a remote reservoir. He also sent me some measurements for the power steering pump clearance. It's 10.2" to the outside of the pulley. F body is 13" IIRC for a alternator.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I are getting ready to start her truck build on her 86' Square SWB (I have my own 86' SWB) and we are contemplating using my Lq9 that is my donor for a 408 (450-500ishHP?) or my First generation 350 (425hp) with a 2004r. I think she is pushing the LS for the fuel injection and reliability as this will be her daily truck anyway. But Why would she want to drive that everyday??? I guess the question is why not. She's also pushing the T-56 Magnum on me also. But back off guys I already married this one! She's into it as much as we are. So in the end we are looking to make a move soon on a big order but I have a big question for the OP. She wants to keep the dual tanks. How did these guys incorporate that with the need for better fuel flow and changeover valve? I think I see external fuel pumps? Any links or contact info? Thanks
Old 06-08-2017, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you can keep the dual tanks. A Walbro 450 intank pump will work well in the '87 tanks since those have a FI from the factory and have the baffle for the pump already in the tank. I have seen the other parts, but I will have to look that up...
Old 06-08-2017, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the selector valve you need to find a Pollak 42-159 or 42-159S. These are high pressure selector valves rated to 65 psi. Both have a 3/8" supply line and a 5/16 return line.
Here is an install sheet for them...
http://products.pollakaftermarket.com/Asset/IS-41_b.pdf
Here it is:
Amazon Amazon

the '87 uses the same tank on both sides, your existing filler necks and mounts will work. Use Spectra Premium GM11C fuel tank.:
Amazon Amazon

the '87 sending units:
Driver side:
Amazon Amazon
Passenger side:
Amazon Amazon

Its straight forward after that, easy set up if you are running the return style rails on the engine. If you are running the returnless style, you would need to mount the filter/regulator in the system. I have never done that, so not sure where to put it....
Old 06-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aggie91
for the selector valve you need to find a Pollak 42-159 or 42-159S. These are high pressure selector valves rated to 65 psi. Both have a 3/8" supply line and a 5/16 return line.
Here is an install sheet for them...
http://products.pollakaftermarket.com/Asset/IS-41_b.pdf
Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Pollak-42-159...=pollak+42-159

the '87 uses the same tank on both sides, your existing filler necks and mounts will work. Use Spectra Premium GM11C fuel tank.:
https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...keywords=gm11c

the '87 sending units:
Driver side:https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...l+sending+unit
Passenger side:https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...PCTWZVSZ838FWQ

Its straight forward after that, easy set up if you are running the return style rails on the engine. If you are running the returnless style, you would need to mount the filter/regulator in the system. I have never done that, so not sure where to put it....
Thanks Aggie! Much Appreciated! I was pushing the single tank but she prefers the original setup. Happy Wife happy life! Right!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Anybody else have problems with 4L60e hitting trans tunnel? I used Hooker engine mounts and crossmember.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rsj78
Anybody else have problems with 4L60e hitting trans tunnel? I used Hooker engine mounts and crossmember.
What trsnsmission mount are you using? How's the condition of your cab mounts?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

What trsnsmission mount are you using? How's the condition of your cab mounts?
I was going to suggest you check your cab mounts also.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

RSJ78, I'm posting this photo for you so you can use it as a reference to judge the clearance and position of your 4L60 trans and your floor. Dose the step in your floor appear to be in the same proximity to the extension housing flange/bolts on your trans as it does here in this photo?

Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Teching In

I posted pics but awaiting moderator approval
Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rsj78
I posted pics but awaiting moderator approval
I'll keep an eye out for them.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 73-87 GM truck LS swap system preview