Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for those who have done the LT1 to LSx swap:

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A question for those who have done the LT1 to LSx swap:

So I am seeing more and more issues pop up with my LT1 as of this season, and I'm thinking of moving my plans for a swap ahead. Now, as this is my first engine swap, I would like to know the opinion of those of you that have done this swap already:

What accessories, brackets, suspension pieces, or other small details would you have gone with while you had the engine out of the car, that you didn't do on initial install?

As of right now, I'm thinking I will assemble an LQ4 with l92 heads and intake, and do an electric water pump, underdrive pullies, and possibly a Turnone power steering pump, depending on how much SCCA I do this summer. I don't need A/C, although if it will be less than $50 I may as well add it.

I was thinking I may go with a Holley HP setup for the cleaner wiring, and self tuning abilities. I will also being doing LTs while I have the engine out.

What else would you suggest I do?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I haven't done the swap, but I'm considering it.

You must use LS1 accessories.

It would be best to use a LS1 k-memeber and not those adapter plates for a LSX swap to use your LT1 K-member. You can use a stock LS1 K-member or aftermarket.

1999-up LS1 Corvette Fuel Filter/Regulator
LS1 rack and pinion and steering shaft.

These links will help you out a lot.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...t1-fourth-gen/

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...to-95-z28.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-lt1-car.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...on-sticky.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls1-swap.html

Last edited by 383z; 03-29-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

I forgot to mention I'll be going with a tubular K-member, anyone have any recommendations on a brand?

And as for the links, thank you very much, I'll read over those and learn a bit more
Old 03-29-2017, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have done the swap twice. Once on a '96, now a '94. The links above are good.

Mechanically (in addition to engine/trans)
- ls1 kmember stock or aftermarket. go with the turbo style kmember if going aftermarket, do this now, you'll thank me later. but P/A MWC UMI BMR all have options.
- ls1 engine stands ( i used spohn solid mounts, no noise issues)
- ls1 powers steering rack. You can use the lt1 temporarily, but will not have full travel left to right. I did it for a while, got old. but can get you over the hump.
- ls1 power steering connector that gets rid of the rag joint on lt1
- ls1 fbody accessories, waterpump, pulley, power steering, alternator and a/c
- A/C you need something to connect to the firewall, I think the ls1 vs. lt1 are different connections so save your a/c hoses in case you need to make a custom hose.
- your lt1 radiator and fans will work.
- get radiator hoses from amazon without the power steering cooler or source from junkyard.
- exhaust headers/turbo combo you plan on running

Electric-
- Tough one, I had HP tuners, so I chose to rewire a 2000 t56 harness, actually about to do more to it now to clean it up since I'm running a th400 setup and converting to SD, so will be removing the t56 parts of the harness and the MAF sensor and all the emissions stuff that I didn't take out last time.
- If you go stock, consider a 411pcm is about 50-100, hptuners 500-600, stock wiring harness 250-300, so you are looking at 800-1000 for stock parts, PLUS you will have to modify the harness. I think the advantage is you can get the gauges to work this way, not sure how much more effort that is with Holley system and how much you will have to spend in total. If there was a good solution to get the gauges working, might be better to go with the MS3 or Holley if possible.

In terms of process, I did everything on the engine outside the car, all the wiring hookup, etc. So really consider what you want to do, otherwise, you'll be taking it apart more than you think. So I wish I would have just done the harness work before I put it in. e.g. i just pulled the harness out of the car yesterday and had to take the intake manifold off just to get to all the connectors (o2, starter, ugh). sucks.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Just out of curiosity, would I be able to get by with just a longblock if I were to get an aftermarket self tuning EFI system? Since I won't need the harness, I can't see why that wouldn't work since I'll be getting new accessories and an intake anyway.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing the swap now on my 94'. Trying to decide wether to go Holley hp or use 411 ecu.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PyroguyFTW
Just out of curiosity, would I be able to get by with just a longblock if I were to get an aftermarket self tuning EFI system? Since I won't need the harness, I can't see why that wouldn't work since I'll be getting new accessories and an intake anyway.
I see the wheels turning around how do I do this and not spend 1k+ on software and wiring, can't I just do it XXXXX.

maybe, but you are doing it one off at that point and will need to figure it out. most people are using the stuff that is available from factory because it's not hard, but takes time and a little bit of reading.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:10 AM
Launching!

After several years of wanting to do this to my 93, I finally was able to get the ball rolling! Picked up a running L92 the other night and we're going to tear it down, inspect and build it up while doing many other things to the car.

Thanks for posting this info!

Old 04-05-2017, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Heat Seeker WS6, NICE!!!
I wish I could find a good L92 short block in my area. I have a donor 2000 Z28 ready.

The main reason I want to do a LSX swap is because of this crazy Speed Density tune that I can't get in my area. Well, a good tune...
Old 04-05-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 97, did an LS2 swap and running Bigstuff3 ECU. I had to keep my stock computer for my gauges. Im sure this could be done to run complete stand alone but I dont now how.

Quick Reply: A question for those who have done the LT1 to LSx swap: