Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger or turbo for street racing a 6 speed ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
If you have half a brain and plan ahead you can make a turbo setup without any of those issues. My turbo setup is garage built, runs cool with a small low mount radiator, slim SPAL fans pull plenty of air, has same ground clearance as stock, hasn't melted anything, and is easy to change plugs. It was also cheaper to put together then any bolton turbo or blower kit on the market.

Blowers often have heat soak issues in addition to belt slip. Positive displacement blower guys often chase cooling issues with upgrading intercooler pumps, reservoirs, heat exchangers, etc. Then they chase tensioners and belt wrap issues, rip cut pulleys, idlers, changing crank pulleys, etc.. Blower setups often weight more as well, my 76mm was 20lbs, my 1.9L blower was over 70lbs. Plan on carrying a spare belt and tools as well, not unusual for a blower to chuck a belt.
Nobody's talking about a custom turbo kit. The majority of people buy off the shelf kits and end up running into problems due to fitment or other issues. This has happened for over a decade. I agree most have half a brain though lol.

I do agree about positive displacement type blowers running into heat soak issues, that does seem to be common, but other than a lousy m112 or something they don't apply to fbodys.

In your weight comment are you including the downpipe and crossover piping too? Comparing a turbo to blower weight only is kind of useless unless you include the entire hotwire since they're drastically different....how much do 14awg headers weigh?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:42 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Nobody's talking about a custom turbo kit. The majority of people buy off the shelf kits and end up running into problems due to fitment or other issues. This has happened for over a decade. I agree most have half a brain though lol.

I do agree about positive displacement type blowers running into heat soak issues, that does seem to be common, but other than a lousy m112 or something they don't apply to fbodys.

In your weight comment are you including the downpipe and crossover piping too? Comparing a turbo to blower weight only is kind of useless unless you include the entire hotwire since they're drastically different....how much do 14awg headers weigh?
Sadly most shelf turbo kits are junk.

Set of Kooks long tube headers vs turbo manifolds is pretty much a wash. I used stainless up and forward headers that don't weigh much at all.

An open downpipe turbo car is also quieter then an open header car so factor in the weight of a muffler or mid pipe to keep things reasonable if its a street car.

Either way I think either setup can work great if you set it up properly. Really comes down to how well you can drive and get traction on the street.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Sadly most shelf turbo kits are junk.

Set of Kooks long tube headers vs turbo manifolds is pretty much a wash. I used stainless up and forward headers that don't weigh much at all.

An open downpipe turbo car is also quieter then an open header car so factor in the weight of a muffler or mid pipe to keep things reasonable if its a street car.

Either way I think either setup can work great if you set it up properly. Really comes down to how well you can drive and get traction on the street.
Completely agree with the bold portion

My JBA 16 awg turbo shorty headers felt WAY heavier than my 1 7/8 SE long tubes, but now I wish I weighed them.

True that it does come down to stuff just being done right....enough turbo vs. blower argument in Alchemists other thread lol.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

There is no comparing turbo kit issues vs. blower kit issues. Everyone has some problem or another with their turbo kit:

1) Cooling issues
2) Fan don't fit or dont move enough CFM's
2) Ground clearance unless you elect to have a turbo K member
3) Melting random crap cause you have twice the piping on a turbo kit that runs near A/C lines or electrical stuff.
4) Plug access

Blowers typically have belt slip issues.
I literally don't have a single one of those proposed problems that you mentioned.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Game ova
I literally don't have a single one of those proposed problems that you mentioned.
Congrats, your in the .01%. You have a custom kit, or an off the shelf kit?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Congrats, your in the .01%. You have a custom kit, or an off the shelf kit?
Its the only thing left that's the same on the car as when I got it. Some guy here locally fabbed it up, pretty much the only thing he got right on it
Old 06-27-2017, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

Its the only thing left that's the same on the car as when I got it. Some guy here locally fabbed it up, pretty much the only thing he got right on it
Yeah I mentioned above that custom kits are a different story.....and plenty of people STILL have issues, at least in the south during summer.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I mentioned above that custom kits are a different story.....and plenty of people STILL have issues, at least in the south during summer.
This thread popped into my head as I was driving.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

This thread popped into my head as I was driving.
???? A/C on low? Neat???
Old 06-27-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

???? A/C on low? Neat???
Yes, as I sit overheating

Last edited by Game ova; 06-27-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 525 Likes on 408 Posts

There is no comparing turbo kit issues vs. blower kit issues. Everyone has some problem or another with their turbo kit:

1) Cooling issues
2) Fan don't fit or dont move enough CFM's
2) Ground clearance unless you elect to have a turbo K member
3) Melting random crap cause you have twice the piping on a turbo kit that runs near A/C lines or electrical stuff.
4) Plug access

Blowers typically have belt slip issues.
That's funny, I spent a year planning and gathering parts for my build and oddly enough I don't have any of these issues...
Old 06-27-2017, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

I can post literally the same pixture....in FL summer with my blower car

PS....I just missed the best part of that pic, you don't have a 98 right? Congrats you have no clue what your actually temp is. 99 and later coolant temp gauges are idiot lights. They show the same on the gauge from like 180 to 230.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The ******
That's funny, I spent a year planning and gathering parts for my build and oddly enough I don't have any of these issues...
Just like you have NO lag right?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Just like you have NO lag right?
Now you got it.
Kinda sounds like you had issues with your turbo car you couldn't iron out so you went to a blower setup, its okay, turbos aren't for everyone. ; )
Old 06-27-2017, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

This was me on Sunday, 95 degrees outside, idling at 180 degrees with the AC a blowin cold...perfection.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The ******
Now you got it.
Kinda sounds like you had issues with your turbo car you couldn't iron out so you went to a blower setup, its okay, turbos aren't for everyone. ; )
Now I know you're a dumbass, I wasn't sure, but this confirms it. My turbo street car was better than anything you think you've built. It drove like stock with AC, ran 10s at 3800lbs on 93 octane at 8psi driving to and from the track, and needed nothing but oil changes and spark plugs for like 8 years. I'm the perfect candidate for making the turbo argument...but I'm not cause I can actually be objective instead of believing that ignorance is bliss.

You and game make the weakest arguments and talk out both sides of your mouth. You compare custom made turbo kits to off the shelf bolt on blower kits and ignore ALL the negatives about turbo kits that have been documented on this site for a decade or more because allegedly your custom kits have never had any issue ever from day 1. But then trivialize low-end and turbo lag cause it "doesn't exist".
Old 06-27-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I can post literally the same pixture....in FL summer with my blower car

PS....I just missed the best part of that pic, you don't have a 98 right? Congrats you have no clue what your actually temp is. 99 and later coolant temp gauges are idiot lights. They show the same on the gauge from like 180 to 230.
This is true. Funny thing is, it actually reads lower at the pcm (verified a few weeks ago). Car runs nice and cool.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

This is true. Funny thing is, it actually reads lower at the pcm (verified a few weeks ago). Car runs nice and cool.
Your car was bought not built....so yeah. You don't have a clue what was done to the car before or what bugs they had to work out. Please go back to making worthless threads like crying about the Dodge Demon.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Now I know you're a dumbass, I wasn't sure, but this confirms it. My turbo street car was better than anything you think you've built. It drove like stock with AC, ran 10s at 3800lbs on 93 octane at 8psi driving to and from the track, and needed nothing but oil changes and spark plugs for like 8 years. I'm the perfect candidate for making the turbo argument...but I'm not cause I can actually be objective instead of believing that ignorance is bliss.

You and game make the weakest arguments and talk out both sides of your mouth. You compare custom made turbo kits to off the shelf bolt on blower kits and ignore ALL the negatives about turbo kits that have been documented on this site for a decade or more because allegedly your custom kits have never had any issue ever from day 1. But then trivialize low-end and turbo lag cause it "doesn't exist".
C'mon guys... no need to be hateful, it's just cars that we are discussing. But no... this kit really hasn't had any issues, if it had..i would be quick to blast the guy that fabbed it as I really don't like him. Just speaking from personal experience man, I have absolutely NO issues with low end grunt... be it just cruising or all out. And it's only a 9:5:1 motor, along with 2:73 no less lol. And I didn't say turbo lag "doesn't exist"....i did say miniscule though.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Your car was bought not built....so yeah. You don't have a clue what was done to the car before or what bugs they had to work out. Please go back to making worthless threads like crying about the Dodge Demon.
Ive built the motor....changed turbos....radiator....built my own transmission....and rear end. Let's hear about what you've built sir.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbo for street racing a 6 speed ?