General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

!AC / Keep Heat / Dash Removed / What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default !AC / Keep Heat / Dash Removed / What is this?

I'm deleting AC but keeping heat in my 02 Trans Am and I've been slowly making progress. Today I got the dash removed and I was going to pull out the HVAC ducting since its in the way of the HVAC box that I'll be needing to modify (to delete the AC side of it) but on the HVAC duct, on the far lower passenger side, there is some sort of control box with what looks to be two wiring harnesses attached to it. I cant seem to get the harnesses unhooked and its hard to see around the plugs since the wiring prevents things from moving too much. What is this control box and is there a secret to removing these wiring harnesses? I cant tell if theres one of those locks you have to pull out first before the harness will unplug or if theres just one side that has to be pushed in to free a clip or what. Any help would be greatly aprpeciated.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the BCM. I had a hard time disconnecting the wiring too, just pull the whole thing out of its clips on the ducting.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Much thanks. After looking up BCM you are absolutely right thats the part I'm referring to. Im not sure where the "clips" for it are though. From what I could see, the black housing is part of the ducting.

What actually holds the BCM in its duct/casing? What had to be done for this guy to get the BCM out like this? I'm not seeing the "clips" that hold the BCM in its holder.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, just going off of memory here. Give it a hard yank, it's just held in there by pressure.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like Spartan said, just pull it out. I did the same thing your doing and this was my least favorite job I have ever done to this car. I have a ton of pics for this project if you need.

Threw up in my mouth a little when I got to this point...

Old 09-23-2017, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

I'm about to work on the car some more but yea any additional pics would be greatly appreciated. Got any of how you chopped the hvac box once it was out? I've seen some on the site where a flap was cut and then plastic welded/bondo'd which is probably the route I'll take (JB Plastic Weld Putty probably since its moldable).
Old 09-23-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's how I did mine. I just used a piece of aluminum sheet and bent it up myself, then used epoxy to keep it in place. If I was to do it again, I'd make the cut bigger, because you're going to lose some airflow doing this. It's well worth the trade-off for all the extra room though.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

very nice! I'll see what I can do about making mine as big as possible once i get to cutting the box up. I didnt get much done on my car yesterday as I'd of liked (back started acting up) but for the BCM, it was actually very easy to remove from the back side of the ductwork. If you lean the ductwork forward so you can see the side that faces the firewall you can see the clips holding the BCM in place. Very easy to pop out from the back.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Quick Reply: !AC / Keep Heat / Dash Removed / What is this?