Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Damn good thing you know how to do all this stuff. I'd imagine it would be pricey to have someone else do it all. Best of luck!
Yes sir, I taught myself how to do a lot of this stuff a lot of years ago mostly because of cost savings not to mention the fact that I just enjoyed doing it.....
Also when I was much younger there were no where near the number of shops around doing performance and custom work that there are these days.....

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I can't think of anything Frank can't do on an automobile.
I have to say there is very little, and there is almost nothing I have not attempted..... I will say body work sucks and I hate to do it.....

Originally Posted by 408GT
Why are you selling the 9"?
This is the first 9" I have used in at least 20 years, and this one doesn't seem to like me..... Plus the 9" design is strong, but the same strong design also has more drag then the 8.8's do..... I have been using the 8.8's for a long time and never had an issue with one.....
Old 09-04-2017, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't get much done on the Comet this weekend..... I did pull the tailshaft housing off the trans so I will be able to correct the speedo gear(gear ordered), then on the output shaft just fit real loose on the out put shaft..... Other then that I just got everything cleaned up and ready to go for the rearend as the parts will be rolling in this week..... The only thing that I still have to order is the axles once I have a definite housing width.....

I did pick up a new toy today!!!!!

Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hellion TT kit for 5.0???
Old 09-05-2017, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hellion TT kit for 5.0???
No mods right now, I still need to get the Comet dialed in..... Just thinking about getting one for a while and there were some good deals over the holiday weekend.....

I will say that kit does look interesting, you never know.....
Old 09-30-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally got back to it a little last weekend..... My 8.8 housing didn't make it last weekend, but I had most of the other parts..... I went ahead and welded all the joints up on my Calvert Racing spring pearches, I also welded the pearches to a set of 1/2" spacers.....

Progress from last weekend.....

Old 09-30-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Today I checked the new housing over and everything looks good..... So I cut off the old spring pearches and shock mounts and cleaned the tubes up..... I also cut the protective ears for the abs sensor off the top of the housing and cleaned the area up(I will tap the sensor hole and put a pipe plug in it).....

First the housing as I got it and then with the tubes cleaned up.....

Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

I'd imagine you will weld the tubes onto to center section, so that being said, won't you need to straighten it or use some kind of jig during welding?

I really like the 'Stang. I think they are a lot better looking than a 5th or 6th gen. Camaro. Are you a Ford guy or just like the Mustang?
Old 09-30-2017, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd imagine you will weld the tubes onto to center section, so that being said, won't you need to straighten it or use some kind of jig during welding?

I really like the 'Stang. I think they are a lot better looking than a 5th or 6th gen. Camaro. Are you a Ford guy or just like the Mustang?
Yes the tubes will be welded, but that doesn't really hurt the housings that much due to welding all the way around..... Once the tubes are welded, pearches welded and possibly a brace then I will put the ends on using an alignment jig.....

I like the new Mustangs more then the Camaros or Challengers..... I have owned a few 60's and early 70's Chevys over the years, But have pretty much always liked and had Fords.....

I have been wanting to put an LS in something for quite some time, and said why not try it in the Comet..... Worse comes to worse I could always put a Ford back in it if I didn't like it..... So far I like it though!!!!!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today I got the rest of the housing cleaned up, welded up the old vent fitting hole..... I also got the housing cut to length and ends squared up for the new ends to be welded on.....

Here's what it's looking like......

Old 10-02-2017, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks good Frank
Old 10-02-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Frank,
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you think I would have a problem welding the tubes on my 8.5" GM and not having it in a jig? Thanks .
Jim
Old 10-03-2017, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good Frank
Thanks.....

Frank,
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you think I would have a problem welding the tubes on my 8.5" GM and not having it in a jig? Thanks .
Jim
The tubes can move a little, I am putting new ends on the housing with and alignment bar so it won't be an issue..... If you are not putting new ends on your housing after weld the tubes, it could misalign it a little..... Then again if you have not checked it with an alignment bar it is probably off now.....
Old 10-08-2017, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cleaned the housing inside and out again..... Welded the axle tubes, welded the perches on and got the ends welded on..... Also added a couple tie down brackets to the back of the perches.....

Old 10-08-2017, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Went over housing, remove any weld spatter and cleaned housing again..... Painted housing..... Tapped abs sensor hole and plugged it, drilled and tapped for vent fitting..... Next weekend I will make some new brake lines, hopefully get it assembled and in(we shall see what happens.....

Old 10-08-2017, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Looking good Frank.

Are you going to run a spool or what kind of LSD?

Andrew
Old 10-08-2017, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Looking good Frank.

Are you going to run a spool or what kind of LSD?

Andrew
Thanks..... Yes, 35 spline spool and axles.....
Old 10-08-2017, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

That looks great !!!
Old 10-08-2017, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks great !!!
Thanks.....
Old 10-20-2017, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, not much progress was made last weekend..... I did get the gear set up, but I will have to reset the pinion depth because it's a little too deep in the pattern..... Hopefully I can get it finished up and back in the car this weekend.....

Here's a couple pic's of the mostly non-progress.....

Old 10-28-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No progress with the gear last weekend, no matter what I tried I could not get a decent pattern on it..... After I bailed on setting the gear up I did get the bearings on and studs in the axles, then put them in the housing and assembled the rear brake components.....

I ordered in another gear this week..... I went ahead and made the brake lines for the rear first thing today..... Then I set up the new gear with no issues what so ever, good looking pattern on this one..... I put the rear cover on and got the rear bolted in the car..... Then I checked to see if the driveshaft would fit, not a big surprise it didn't..... It actually bolted in but only has 3/8" clearance on the trans output shaft, to close for sure..... I will get that taken care of this week, at least I can just get it shortened.....

Here's the progress.....

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....