Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Overheating 5.3l swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating 5.3l swap

I did a 5.3 swap into my 79 firebird and the temperature gauge is reading 230-240 degrees, the engine is out of a 2003 Surburban. I just ordered a 160 degree thermostat I'm hoping that will fix the problem, have anyone else had this problem with a LS swap?
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Did you get all of the air out of the coolant system?
Old 10-02-2017, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How are the heater lines from the water pump routed?
Old 10-02-2017, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I'm betting air.. Did you fill with water or AF or a mix? I use a wetting agent (Redline/blue-Ice etc) in the cooling system of all my cars, I believe it helps bleed them better.. YMMV.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

block heater core hoses at water pump (tap and plug)
use 4-corner steam port solution, plumb to top tank of radiator.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
The correct way to bypass the heater core hoses at the water pump is to loop them together. Plugging them causes issues similar to what the OP is experiencing. A steam port will absolutely help relieve air in the system, though.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BudRacing
The correct way to bypass the heater core hoses at the water pump is to loop them together. Plugging them causes issues similar to what the OP is experiencing. A steam port will absolutely help relieve air in the system, though.
That is a myth. Please look it up, the picture of the ls cooling flow diagram will show you why we block the water pump. Hot water circulating to the heater core is instead looped (directly) back to the inlet where it (the hot water) is re-allowed into the block with no cooling (where it would have originally been cooled by the length and heater core).

Loops contributes to over-heating (or rather, over-thermostating, or whatever its called when the inlet temp of the block is raised even though the original thermostat has not been changed).
Old 10-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=jimmyp3353;19737970]Did you get all of the air out of the coolant system?[

Yes I did thanks.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rock auto says a 2003 suburban with a 5.3 has a 187 degree thermostat. If that is true than unless the stock unit is bad replacing it with a lower opening temp won't help.

LS motors are typically pretty easy to cool. If they overheat than the problem is typically air in the coolant or bad air flow through the radiator.

What radiator and fan set up do you have? Is it getting hot at idle or when moving?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Quit posting this as a fix because it's not the issue, Like I said when you gave this advice before, You do not need 4-corner steam vents and I have ran the heater outlets plugged and looped and through a heater core on different builds and none had a overheating issue. You keep giving advice like you have experience and from looking at your past posts you obviously DO NOT!

Last edited by LLLosingit; 10-29-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
LS motors are typically pretty easy to cool. If they overheat than the problem is typically air in the coolant or bad air flow through the radiator.
Agree 100% here, I will also add this, Try jacking the front of the car up while running to help get any trapped air out of the system, Camaro and Firebirds of that year were hard to get the air out with the stock engine, I don't see how the LS engine would be any easier.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Quit posting this as a fix because it's not the issue, Like I said when you gave this advice before, You do not need 4-corner steam vents and I have ran the heater outlets plugged and looped and through a heater core on different builds and none had a overheating issue. You keep giving advice like you have experience and from looking at your past posts you obviously DO NOT!
it isnt my advice. It is something I researched up online before doing the swap.

Try google there is an entire website dedicated to why you shouldn't loop the heater core lines.

And yes I do have experience, a friend's local 5.3 Was staying a little hot all the time, we blocked the heater core and removed the loop it dropped 20*F at the engine inlet. I never had this problem with my 5.3 because I never looped it. Thats two engines so far experience.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

it isnt my advice. It is something I researched up online before doing the swap.

Try google there is an entire website dedicated to why you shouldn't loop the heater core lines.

And yes I do have experience, a friend's local 5.3 Was staying a little hot all the time, we blocked the heater core and removed the loop it dropped 20*F at the engine inlet. I never had this problem with my 5.3 because I never looped it. Thats two engines so far experience.
I can google all day long and get conflicting answers, There have been threads here where people say not to plug them that you have to loop them and others also on this forum that say otherwise. I've been working on these engines for a long damn time and can tell you without a doubt that looping or plugging made no difference. What does make a difference it getting air passing thru a good radiator with no air in the system. As far as the two or four steam vents, I've ran what was needed according to intakes or what was available for the build and never had a problem either way. I'm far from the only person who has called you out on your so called advice so that must tell you something!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I've been working on these engines for a long damn time and can tell you without a doubt that looping or plugging made no difference.
Agreed. I have personally run it both ways and saw "0" difference in the engine temps.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Banned

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/

It seems pretty obvious the low pressure side of cooling system is tied with lower radiator hose. With a looped heater hose you pump hot-engine water into the radiator's low-pressure side, which is cooled water coming from the radiator. In the picture it looks like both are behind the thermostat but if that was true I don't see how the hose would have any differential for flow.

Last edited by kingtal0n; 11-03-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

​​​​​​​The temperature of the water coming out of the radiator has nothing to do with the temperature of the engine. In fact, that cooler water in the radiator should have been a sign that less heat was being taken from the engine.

The lines must be looped. I know from firsthand experience. I overheated the sht out of my car when I first swapped it. Went into limp mode, melted the seal on my brand new $170 2010 camaro water pump, the works. Did some research and found out there isn't a valve in the heater core lines like the german and japanese cars I was used to, water always flows through the heater core, even when the heat is off.

The heater core circuit for the LS is designed to keep coolant circulating throughout the engine at all times - even when the thermostat is closed - to keep the entire engine at the same temperature and prevent hot spots. If you block that circuit, you block a LARGE portion of that coolant and it will boil in those hotspots, especially if you're running a radiator that's on the small side like I am. Once that coolant starts to boil, it's a downward spiral trying to get it under control.

Coolant must flow at all times through them. They cannot be blocked.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
​​​​​​​The temperature of the water coming out of the radiator has nothing to do with the temperature of the engine. In fact, that cooler water in the radiator should have been a sign that less heat was being taken from the engine.

The lines must be looped. I know from firsthand experience. I overheated the sht out of my car when I first swapped it. Went into limp mode, melted the seal on my brand new $170 2010 camaro water pump, the works. Did some research and found out there isn't a valve in the heater core lines like the german and japanese cars I was used to, water always flows through the heater core, even when the heat is off.

The heater core circuit for the LS is designed to keep coolant circulating throughout the engine at all times - even when the thermostat is closed - to keep the entire engine at the same temperature and prevent hot spots. If you block that circuit, you block a LARGE portion of that coolant and it will boil in those hotspots, especially if you're running a radiator that's on the small side like I am. Once that coolant starts to boil, it's a downward spiral trying to get it under control.

It might be possible you had an air pocket that caused your overheating and then by the time you changed it over, you had "burped" the air pocket out.

For the record, even GM blocks them on their COPO cars. So......

Old 11-03-2017, 05:56 PM
Banned

No men, world is flat. Don't you know we stone bitches that say otherwise? Better retract that scientific fact before Duke runs out of bubble gum.

And I like how he "swears" it cannot be done. Perfect example of how the state of things got to where it is.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/

It seems pretty obvious the low pressure side of cooling system is tied with lower radiator hose. With a looped heater hose you pump hot-engine water into the radiator's low-pressure side, which is cooled water coming from the radiator. In the picture it looks like both are behind the thermostat but if that was true I don't see how the hose would have any differential for flow.
And it's obvious that you still don't get it. With the heater hoses connected and running through a heater core the temperature out of the core will only drop a couple degree's unless the heater fan is actually blowing on the core then it will lose between 10-30 degree's at the outlet side of the core. So say water goes in at 210 degrees and comes out at 180-205 and is returned to the pump.
Think of the heater core as a very small radiator (it is what it is) with a surface area that is probably less 10% of your total cooling capacity and with no air blowing on it 99% of the time (nobody I know runs the heat while driving on a hot day), Now given the small amount that is actually diverted to the heater core and what does is loosing very little heat how in the hell can you say that this is going to cause an engine to run hot?
Since the engine doesn't know the difference between the hoses being looped or running through the (longer loop)heater core = looping does not and will not cause a heating issue!
If this was the case just about every LS based engine on the road would overheat!

Like I've said several times now looping or blocking makes no difference, What does make a difference if having the proper cooling capacity for the amount of heat generated AKA Appropriate sized radiator and the ability to get air across said radiator. It's as simple as that!

If you think your engine is overheating because you did or didn't loop/block off the heater hose outlet/inlet on the pump then you have other issues to deal with because that's not the cause.

Last edited by LLLosingit; 11-03-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
​​​​​​​ water always flows through the heater core, even when the heat is off.

The heater core circuit for the LS is designed to keep coolant circulating throughout the engine at all times - even when the thermostat is closed -
The pump housing itself is designed to keep water flowing through the entire engine and heater core not just the heater core, Blocking or looping does nothing.

Plus if your engine is overheating then the thermostat would be open correct? That would tell you right there that your theory doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Overheating 5.3l swap