Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TSP Y Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New TSP Y Pipe?

This looks very different from what I thought their y pipe looked like. Especially the merge. The merge looks like a fabricated version of the Kooks/ARH.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Didn't they redesign it a while back?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what my merge looks like and I got it back in January?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

I thought this was the latest version

Old 11-06-2017, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by That_One_Person
That's what my merge looks like and I got it back in January?

I think Im gonna

So next question. Can anyone confirm that this y pipe will fit speed engineering headers?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Now you make me want to go climb under my car.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by That_One_Person
Now you make me want to go climb under my car.
is your y pipe polished or natural finish?

looks like the new style is natural and not polished which is fine by me
Old 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Launching!

I don't remember it being over-shiny outside of being SS. If it wasn't raining i'd go look. I'm really curious now.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Mine is shiny stainless, at least the one with cats. I bought it back in June.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I think Im gonna

So next question. Can anyone confirm that this y pipe will fit speed engineering headers?
People confirmed the older style TSP fit the SE headers but look where the Y merge is. Another Y pipe with the merge being right on the cross member....

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 11-08-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I had to remove the cross member but I had a muffler shop fab a bracket using the body mount.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
People confirmed the older style TSP fit the SE headers but look where the Y merge is. Another Y pipe with the merge being right on the cross member....
what are you calling the cross member?
Old 11-09-2017, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

what are you calling the cross member?
The area on the body that accepts the cross member, which takes M8x30mm bolts.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

The area on the body that accepts the cross member, which takes M8x30mm bolts.
The cross member for the toque arm or the transmission crossmember?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

The cross member for the toque arm or the transmission crossmember?
Cross member for the torque arm when using a tunnel mount shorty torque arm.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

You cant put the merge behind the cross member. If you think trying to squeeze a merge in your tunnel brace is tight then try squeezing two separate 3" pipes in it. Ideally you want the merge as close to the transmission crossmember as you can get it. To do this you need the driver side pipe to go back as far as possible and then turn towards the center of the car with a sharp angle. Notice how the speed eng pipe comes in about 45* on both sides but the tsp makes two bends on driver side and comes in sharper.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

This is one of my y pipes I built back in the day

Old 11-10-2017, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

You cant put the merge behind the cross member. If you think trying to squeeze a merge in your tunnel brace is tight then try squeezing two separate 3" pipes in it. Ideally you want the merge as close to the transmission crossmember as you can get it. To do this you need the driver side pipe to go back as far as possible and then turn towards the center of the car with a sharp angle. Notice how the speed eng pipe comes in about 45* on both sides but the tsp makes two bends on driver side and comes in sharper.
I mean the Y merge needs to be in front of the torque arm cross member so that you aren't feeding two separate 3" pipes, but rather a single 3" coming after the Y. The pacesetter Y for example has the merge that occurs before the torque arm cross member so that you only have to feed a single 3" pipe under the torque arms cross member.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...etter-3-y-pipe

Did you wind up changing the cross sectional area on that custom Y of yours to get better clearance on the driver side?
Old 11-10-2017, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I mean the Y merge needs to be in front of the torque arm cross member so that you aren't feeding two separate 3" pipes, but rather a single 3" coming after the Y. The pacesetter Y for example has the merge that occurs before the torque arm cross member so that you only have to feed a single 3" pipe under the torque arms cross member.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...etter-3-y-pipe

Did you wind up changing the cross sectional area on that custom Y of yours to get better clearance on the driver side?
see the pic below to see why the merge cant be too far back or too far forward. The merge below is already coming out of the merge and making almost a 90* bend.

As for that y pipe I made, no I did not flatten the pipe out anywhere. I cut out the brace on the driver side floor though. I dont want to do that to the car I have now. I would rather flatten a piece of pipe
Old 11-10-2017, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

see the pic below to see why the merge cant be too far back or too far forward. The merge below is already coming out of the merge and making almost a 90* bend.

As for that y pipe I made, no I did not flatten the pipe out anywhere. I cut out the brace on the driver side floor though. I dont want to do that to the car I have now. I would rather flatten a piece of pipe
As long as it's positioned so that only a 3" pipe has to go through the torque arm cross member, then it's a good setup.

I'm hoping this Y pipe will work with my speed engineering headers. And here is my thinking on this, (most of which that we discussed earlier)

1. The Y pipe is actually made for good ground clearance. The driver side area has the pipe in the correct dimensions without changing the cross sectional area to inhibit flow.

2. Cutouts are only 3" in size and are located in a position where they won't hurt ground clearance. They will sit up higher than a 4" cutout that is positioned under the rear passenger seat area of the car in the I-pipe. They will sit up higher than the bottom of any torque arm cross member on the market.

3. Since the cutouts are positioned where they are, you have more free area in the I-pipe to quiet down the car. You can put 2 hi-flow cats there in the I-pipe and eliminate the fuel smell, or maybe 1 hi-flow cat and a 3" magnaflow resonator. You don't have this option with a big 4" cutout in the I-pipe and a 4" to 3" reducer before going over the axle.

4. The car wakes the dead and gives optimum flow with the cutouts located in that position, much louder than a single 4" cutout in the I-pipe.

5. The location of the cutouts are such that any restriction in the Y merge to inhibit flow out the catback doesn't matter. You have resonator/high-flow cats in the I-pipe to eliminate any rasp.

6. The Y pipe merge is such that you can use a torque arm cross member that doesn't angle downward, so you get better ground clearance because only a single 3" pipe is passing through the torque arm cross member.

7. The car with aftermarket heads, cams, headers will sound like a Prius when the cutouts are closed, until with a press of a button you open the electric cutouts and wake the dead.

If there is a stainless steel option that doesn't involve a completely custom Y pipe that allows me to have:

-ground clearance of 4.5 inches or more with car at stock ride height
-very quiet with the cutouts closed, no rasp
-maximum flow with cutouts open
-no fuel smell in the cabin
-able to run a flat torque arm crossmember
-sacrifice weight increase for quiet

Then I'd love to see it. The setup above even though the Y pipe isn't stainless allows me to do what I want to do. If the pacesetter Y doesn't fit the headers, it can be modified to do so. And if the car is still not quiet enough, then I will change out the muffler I have and put in a hooker maxflow or SLP dual/dual along with two 14416's before the tails like we talked about.

Quick Reply: New TSP Y Pipe?