Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5th gen Procharger filter placement? Sucking in heat from headers.. Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 5th gen Procharger filter placement? Sucking in heat from headers.. Fix?

Has anybody came up with a fix for the air inlet sucking in all the heat right off the header? I was feling around after I had just got done installing my procharger kit and the top side sucks in 100 degrees cooler air it seems and the bottom of the filter is piping hot.

Wonder if wrapping the headers would cool temps down to the air filter? Or possibly making like a sheet metal block right under the air filter to keep the heat from going straight off the header into the air filter...

Let me know if you have any better ideas or if any of you procharged guys have done anything about this...

Here is a pic of the filter placement I'm talking about...

Old 11-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3rdGen kit I originally got about 12 years ago, when I had the original motor. And even after I built other motors. Had the same air filter placement. I thought the same thing But when the car is moving, cold air is being pushed thrue under the motor from the air dam. Then of course routed through intercooler. It really dosent matter much. A heat shield may in fact starve it from air, if facing towards the ground. Procharger did design all these factory kits this way. Most people suggested elongating the filter tube up, and behind the intake plenum. But that would only work with a cowl hood. Im anxious to see what others come up with, as far as a solution.

I also have a good set of Cermaic coated Headers. That also helps.
Attached Thumbnails 5th gen Procharger filter placement? Sucking in heat from headers.. Fix?-camaro_firebird_tpi_procharger_supercharger_overview_system.jpg  
Old 11-19-2017, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

It really doesn't look like there's room for a "u" pipe which will be a restriction anyways. Wrapping the headers will help,but I would make a heat shield and put the 2000 degree heat reflective tape on the bottom side and try to box off the filter like a cold air intake.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Has anybody came up with a fix for the air inlet sucking in all the heat right off the header? I was feling around after I had just got done installing my procharger kit and the top side sucks in 100 degrees cooler air it seems and the bottom of the filter is piping hot.

Wonder if wrapping the headers would cool temps down to the air filter? Or possibly making like a sheet metal block right under the air filter to keep the heat from going straight off the header into the air filter...

Let me know if you have any better ideas or if any of you procharged guys have done anything about this...

Here is a pic of the filter placement I'm talking about...

How hot are your charge temps when driving then ?

The design isnt ideal for sure, it was pretty much same as the YSI setup I had a few years ago. But when moving, there should be good airflow in and around the engine bay, so heat shouldnt be a huge issue.

But other than preventing heat from the headers reaching it....whether that is shields, wrap, ceramic etc, or all of those, they are bound to help a bit.

Probably better is trying to get some frontal or outside air to that location.

Maybe form a shield around the underside of the air filter, and the top side could have some ducting to fresh air. This might be from teh front, or via a hole/duct created in the hood somehow.

Or ensure your charge cooling is good, and/or run meth.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm getting it tuned tomorrow so I will find out on the IAT's and go from there. I appreciate all the input so far tho guys. I hadn't really thought about air moving through keeping it cool, but that's a good point. I'm sure it doesn't affect it nearly as bad while moving.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Certainly when sitting about, waiting to race etc etc...yes heat in there will be almost unavoidable without some sort of shielding and external ducting.

Not ideal, but good chargecooling or meth can help remove a lot of this once moving, plus the airflow when driving. For street use I wouldnt be overly concerned though
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always box the filter and cut the hood. This has been dint on race cars (see WRC Ford Focus as a great example) for years. Bit extreme though!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only Solution would be route it out like a CAI. Like I and others have said. Once the car is in motion, Youre getting plenty of cold air. If you were to block that air with a plate. It may have the adverse affect.

Quick Reply: 5th gen Procharger filter placement? Sucking in heat from headers.. Fix?