Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

70 Nova - Turbo ls, under trunk mounted radiator opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Default 70 Nova - Turbo ls, under trunk mounted radiator opinions wanted

Hey guys, have a build thread here going, and I’ve made the decision that I want to do a remote mount radiator. I have some very crudely drawn pictures to help illustrate my ideAs. I’d like some input on any idea you may have to make things better.

First up, the easiest way to run my lines would be one on each side of the car. But, if I do that , the cold side would have to run right along side my aluminum 4” exhaust, and I feel like the line would absorb a significant amount of heat from that. So, I can run them both on the driver side. I am using 1 1/2 copper pipe, which should also help dissipate heat. The ends at each port on the water pump and radiator will be flexible stainless.

Next, fans. I’ve been reading for days on the 4x4 forums of people running bed mounted radiators with a Taurus fan and having zero issues. I have a Taurus fan, and I have had great luck with them as well. This radiator I bought cane with two little pos fans, I’d like to mount the Taurus fan right too the existing shroud, bet cut the marked edge of the Taurus shroud off and extend it over to totally cover the radiator. Good idea?

As pictured, I thought of maybe sealing the radiator to the bottom of the trunk, while leaving the front dropped from the floor about 6”, and leaning it open to act as a scoop to funnel air over the rad while driving. But, I am unsure how much airflow there actually is in that area, if that’s a waste of time or not. Thoughts?

The radiator will sit at an angle forward down, so the end by the bumper will be highest. Do I want the low pressure cold side, at the high end, or the pressure hot side at that end? Heat rises, so to speak, but my mind tells me I want the high end to be incoming hot water, like the factory had it.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could slope a belly diffuser from the forward edge of your radiator and have a wedge gap going rearward with the opening going straight back and a top opening curving up your rear bumper creating a low pressure on bottom side of your radiator helping draw air from topside thru.... may take some trial and error with the design yet could be very effective... would also help protect the radiator from rocks and misc debris... always good to open up room up front!!
Old 11-14-2017, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not quite sure I follow your design idea, anything I could google to get a better understanding?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need some ducting to help pull air to it

great idea! I'm thinking about dual rads (front and rear) to cool off a turbo bb project (although the e85 might make it run cool enough!!)

I've got some vette dual fans if you would like to try them out how 50 plus 10 for the ride sound?

they cover more surface area of the rad and do a pretty good job of providing a low profile shroud

on the turbo c5 vette, I need all the cooling I can get!!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the radiator under the trunk in my fox. Single Taurus fan keeps it plenty cool in all conditions. Highway, stop and go traffic, no issues.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

Hot return at the top, cold outlet at the bottom. You want the coldest fluid at the leading edge of fresh incoming air.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1curt
I have the radiator under the trunk in my fox. Single Taurus fan keeps it plenty cool in all conditions. Highway, stop and go traffic, no issues.
Interesting, can you provide any more info? Pics?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Curious how the added distance plays with a stock WP-is electric a better choice, or booster pump, etc.-you have to push added weight back to the front.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I wanted to mount my radiator in the back as well, but my trans fan is already there and not much room behind the tires on a tubbed 68 Camaro.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Guard dog
Hot return at the top, cold outlet at the bottom. You want the coldest fluid at the leading edge of fresh incoming air.
Hmm, that goes against what I pictured in my mind, could you elaborate some more on that?
Old 11-18-2017, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1curt
What pump? Also did you use 90’s into and out of the radiator or did you dig on straight fittings
Old 11-19-2017, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious are going to place fan on top or bottom? What size radiator? Wouldnt ot be better to face inlet and outlet up out of the way?I like this idea
Old 11-19-2017, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also want to pass on this. Vid
Old 11-20-2017, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I’ve watched that video a few times! Great video! Yes I’ll be flipping the radiator over so the outlets are up. Fan will be on the bottom side sucking air. I got all my lines ran from the front to the back tonight , stopped at the back axle for now!
Old 11-20-2017, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep us nova guys posted. Im trying to stuff this gt5533r in over turkey day. I went with a rhodes core support and put rad on outside of it. I like the rear mount better.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking to do something like this in my turbo C6.

One question for those who may know, would i be able to get away with running my stock pump (-16an lines coming off and down and around, ran through torque tube tunnel since I have no exhaust to heat up that pathway) to the rear radiator, with the expansion tank and overflow sitting in one of my rear cubbys. I would like to set it all up that way and see if the stock pump will flow enough, but in the case that it just won't, would I be able to get away with adding an inline remote pump to the system? Or will running the stock pump plus a higher gpm electric pump inline (something like a heat exchanger pump I use on my CTS-V), not work out?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is my plan, I’m going to try and run the stock pump, I have 1 1/2 Line though. I should be able to let you guys know soon, I’m hoping to fire the car up this weekend.

I’m stuck here, should the steam vents gonall
The way to the back to the expansion tank? It seems like they should to me.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

just a suggestion, on your water hose outlet place in a adapter that has a 1/8 th npt fitting or however you chose to do so(there are a lot of options) and run your steam lines into that. The water flow will pull the water that flows thru the steam line out and assist with circulation. I placed my radiator under the bed of my truck (33 twin turbo) and it works great. This is basically what I did. when stopped or at low speed you should have no trouble if fan is shrouded good around radiator, at higher speeds is where the possible tproblems may accure do to the increased air flow bypassing the radiator. with a few adjustments youll have it working fine. avoid ducting air into the radiator if possible , everything else will also flow into your radiator including cat parts
Old 11-21-2017, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

just seen where you are using your stock pump, tap a 1/8th npt into the outlet side of the top of the pump and run steam lines into that, youll have zero issues. This has been done alot
Old 11-21-2017, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to be clear, guys are running rear mount rads in the back with factory belt driven water pumps?

Because i wanna do that.

Quick Reply: 70 Nova - Turbo ls, under trunk mounted radiator opinions wanted