Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec

Good evening,
Trying to put together my PCV system on my 2004 Yukon 5.3l Vortec that I installed into a 1936 Chevy coupe. I have looked through countless threads but cannot find a system close enough to my build to feel comfortable that all is ok. Your imput would really be appreciate.
From the stock motor the pcv line runs from the drivers VC out the pcv valve to the TOP of the intake(dirty side), Clean side runs from passenger side vc to the front side of the TB (passage actually snakes through the intake to the front side of TB for metering).
My new set up will have a 92mm sheet metal high rise intake that has vacuum ports on the underside of the intake(as opposed to the top side vacuum port in the factory set up). I will be running a 90mm LS3 TB that does not have the vacuum port going from the passenger side VC to the TB port, so I will put a port in front of the TB in the silicone sleeve. New valve covers have 1 vacuum port per side. Please look at the pictures showing the routing of my thoughts on the pcv system and give me your comments. My worry is that on the dirty side of the system I will continue to get oil vapor in the intake, in which I may need a second catch can?
Attached Thumbnails PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-1.jpg   PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-1a.jpg   PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-2.jpg   PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-3.jpg   PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-4.jpg  

PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-5.jpg   PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-6.jpg   PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-7.jpg  
Old 11-12-2017, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

I was just going over the pcv system to put in my swap as well. I found this:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671137

hope it helps
Old 11-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SheepDog209
I was just going over the pcv system to put in my swap as well. I found this:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671137

hope it helps
I appreciate you forwarding this set up. Yes, it did help to confirm that maybe you can't go wrong using two catch cans(neither one with a breather that introduces un-metered air). There is a video that was put out by the makers of my intake that shows them using a catch can on the clean air side but not on the dirty air side. In the link you sent it would have been nice to see a follow up to confirm that particular set up worked with no issues or at least the results after say 1K miles.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Default Update to PCV routing

I still cannot wrap my head around this pcv system after several days of going over it. I have looked at several threads of this set up but none have stated how well it kept the oil vapor out. I would like to use a single catch can and route my pcv lines as shown in the photo, however would this not introduce vapor oil into the front side of the intake coming off the passenger side valve cover? If you have this system could you please comment so I can get on with this build, I really hate being stuck like this.
Attached Thumbnails PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-ls1-pcv-system.jpg  
Old 11-21-2017, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

At low intake manifold vacuum (i.e. WOT) it might. OEM designers know that most of the engine's life is spent at cruise and light throttle, so this wasn't a huge concern.

You could probably install a check valve in the fresh air line, just to make sure it never flowed the wrong way.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Look at the Mighty Mouse site. He has a nice PCV can/system. You don't need 2 cans.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 837 Likes on 640 Posts

You're going to use an ugly truck intake on a street rod?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts
At low intake manifold vacuum (i.e. WOT) it might. OEM designers know that most of the engine's life is spent at cruise and light throttle, so this wasn't a huge concern.

You could probably install a check valve in the fresh air line, just to make sure it never flowed the wrong way.
This.

Just place a 3/8" check valve on the clean air inlet so no hiccups work their way into the throttle body. No 2nd can needed.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by BudRacing; 11-28-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Read the first post. He says he will be going to a sheet metal intake later. The truck intake is so he can get it going.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Default LS1 intake

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Not that I need your approval for my ride but does this answer your question
Attached Thumbnails PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec-img_2320.jpg  
Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Default Check valve

Originally Posted by BudRacing
This.

Just place a 3/8" check valve on the clean air inlet so no hiccups work their way into the throttle body. No 2nd can needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Return-Pe.../dp/B00Z6KLT2C

Thank you for this info, it solves more than one peoblem!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts

DPR,

Thank you for taking your time to post a reply. Since you posted this I have seen a few done with the check valve. Time to go forward with a single MM can, finally

Quick Reply: PCV system on modified 5.3l Vortec