Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JayinMI
Do you mean it broke on the first pass last time, so you don't have a comparison, or that the just completed rebuild broke on the first pass?

Jay
When it broke the planetary it was the first pass at the current boost level and with the new rear/brake changes.....

I fixed the trans since..... I got it running again yesterday and it has not been back to the track yet.....
Old 11-19-2017, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if you were saying you broke it again already.
Digging the project!
Old 12-16-2017, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After I got this thing going again I had to get some stuff done on my fathers car, so I ended up daily driving the Comet for a little over 3 weeks..... My laptop also took a **** last weekend, so I went and got a new one Monday..... Loaded everything in the new one and got the car ready to go to the track on Wednesday night..... Ended up having to update the ecu(took forever), got to the rack kind of late..... On the way to the track I made a short full throttle blip to make sure everything was working properly(water meth, fuel pump kick up and such)..... When I tried to read the log at the track I realized I needed to reconfigure my log files due to the new computer and software download..... I figured out that everything was working and I was at the track already so I figured I might as well make one..... It made a really clean smooth pass.....

After that I went home so I could get the log info in order so I could check everything..... I found the pass looked really good, now it's time to start taking a little fuel out and adding some timing as long as the oil looks clear today..... I just want to make sure it quit making metal since to rocker arm trunion failure.....
Old 12-16-2017, 08:44 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

You are in the nines now Frank! Looking good.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
You are in the nines now Frank! Looking good.
Should be, and thanks.....

The oil did still have some metallic in it, but nothing like it had before..... It's probably still flushing out from before, oil pressure is great and has not shown any loss since I first got it running..... I changed the oil and filter and am going to keep running it for now..... I also checked the plugs, looks like the 6's are not cool enough by quite a bit..... I will try some 7's and get some 8's just in case..... While the plugs were out I did a compression test and found all cylinders to be very strong..... I'll get back out this week and test the plugs and maybe start pulling some fuel out.....
Old 12-16-2017, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Good to hear things going well, Frank! You gotta be feeling good about it!
Old 12-18-2017, 04:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Good to hear things going well, Frank! You gotta be feeling good about it!
Thanks, it seems to be coming around.....
Old 12-18-2017, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Bad *** for sure. Even for a FORD.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Bad *** for sure. Even for a FORD.
Thanks.....

Got some plugs for it today, there now gapped and in..... Made a small adjustment in the af, Looks like I will see what happens this Wednesday.....
Old 12-21-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

So....what happened yesterday?

Andrew
Old 12-23-2017, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the slips from Wed nite..... It was a little slower then last week but the DA was a little more then 1100 ft higher..... I did change the af from 11.0 to 11.3 which doesn't seem to have made any difference, but from what I have read it probably wouldn't on E85..... I am going to start adding a little timing this week, this should start making a difference.....

Old 12-26-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went over everything again and got it ready for tomorrow night..... I have 2 new base timing tables written(one with 15 deg total and another with 18 deg total in boost), should be a little better the 10 deg total I have been running it on.....

I also finally got something done I have been wanting too for a while now this weekend..... Got the hood painted, the color doesn't look perfect but should get closer when it's completely dry..... It is right next too the 45 year old sun baked front fenders, it still looks better blue then dirty white.....

Old 12-28-2017, 03:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Only made 1 pass last night and I can officially tell you adding 5 deg of timing(15 total now) it made a crap ton more power..... So much more it's trying to kill the torque converter..... Last week I thought it was leaning on the converter a little, it only had a 700 rpm drop at the shift..... Well this week it only dropped 500 rpm at the shift, it flashed 300 rpm higher at the leave and went through just over 300 rpm higher..... It's driving through the converter so bad I didn't make another hit because I was afraid of hurting it..... I guess my off the shelf FTI 9.5" Street Racer 3400-3600 converter has gone beyond it's limit, I am going to have to get something built for it..... The question is what.....

and yes it still went almost 2 tents and 4 mph faster then last week even while trying to kill the converter.....

Old 12-28-2017, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Nice. Love the build.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:05 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Depends on the budget. Converter kinda makes or breaks a turbo car IMO. One of the few places I spend money. PTC plain has turbo LS converters nailed. Proven performers for the DIY guys with a “normal” budget. Both will hold up power wise well past where you are.

The 10” $450 PTC converter is hard to beat $ wise and works well. Especially if you spin the motor to 7k or so. The 9.5” $950 PTC couples better at lower RPM and is slightly better all around. PTC makes them a drop in affair, with no adaptors. When you order from them you fill out a sheet with all your specs and they will suggest a converter for your specific need.

My 8.5:1 5.3 with the small S475 would make 25+lbs on the brake with the 17 stator and was still nice and tight up top with great street manors. With something like yours, I’d go with the 9.5” and a 16 stator.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2017, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info..... I am doing some research now.....
Old 01-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Depends on the budget. Converter kinda makes or breaks a turbo car IMO. One of the few places I spend money. PTC plain has turbo LS converters nailed. Proven performers for the DIY guys with a “normal” budget. Both will hold up power wise well past where you are.

The 10” $450 PTC converter is hard to beat $ wise and works well. Especially if you spin the motor to 7k or so. The 9.5” $950 PTC couples better at lower RPM and is slightly better all around. PTC makes them a drop in affair, with no adaptors. When you order from them you fill out a sheet with all your specs and they will suggest a converter for your specific need.

My 8.5:1 5.3 with the small S475 would make 25+lbs on the brake with the 17 stator and was still nice and tight up top with great street manors. With something like yours, I’d go with the 9.5” and a 16 stator.

Good luck!
The guys are PTC are as good as it gets. Big fan.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
The guys are PTC are as good as it gets. Big fan.
That's the direction I was looking at..... I have had a couple tell people with some fast cars tell me I might want to talk to Pheonix Converter in Clearwater, they are seeing 5-6% slippage on some pretty fast rides.....

I checked the car over on Sat, everything looked fine..... The season opener for bracket racing at Bradenton is Jan 6, I want to go to this race and I don't see any way I can get a new converter install it and test it before then..... So, since everything else looked good I decided to turn it down some to a level this converter should be able to handle..... I changed the springs in the gates, now the boost should be around 12lbs and adjusted the tune so it should have 14 deg at full boost..... I loaded it in front of my shop a couple times and it seemed good so I took it and tested it at an undisclosed location and the log looked good..... Back to about a 900 rpm drop at the shift, it didn't dead hook but still felt pretty damn strong..... I'll test Wed night again to make sure it's ready to go.....
Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

I missed what fluid you run in the trans?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I missed what fluid you run in the trans?
It currently has FTI fluid in it.....

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....