Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I managed to get the nitrous plumbed on the intake..... The intake is on the motor now and I am in the process of making a plate to hold the regulator.....

Old 05-16-2020, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the motor finished up for now anyways..... Cleaned the shop and got the car back out so I can get to work on it again.....

Old 05-16-2020, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the car up on stands today, removed the wheels and remove all the brake fluid from the braking system..... Then I got under it so I could finish what I was doing when I screwed my eye up a while back..... Made the filler pieces for the exhaust clearence notches I made in the underside, welded them in and cleaned the area up(always fun to weld to the factory galvanized areas in the car).....

The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Looks good Frank. How much longer?
Old 05-18-2020, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Looks good Frank. How much longer?
Thanks..... Unfortunately It's still going to be a little while..... There is still quite a bit of fab work to do in the front of the car and the ac needs to be mounted under the dash..... Plumbing for the ac/heater, trans cooler lines, front brake lines will need to be rearranged..... Then the whole under hood area needs to be repainted..... I still need to finish the front stone guard mods and mount the fiberglass front bumper..... Oh yeah, I need to mount gauges and rewire the whole damn thing.....

At the rate I work this could take a while.....
Old 09-13-2020, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I guess once again it's been quite some time since I posted any progress..... I have bee working on it here and there..... I mocked up a vintage air unit under the dash, put the necessary holes in the firewall, and made all the under dash lines and hoses..... I made the trans coooler lines from the cooler to bulkheads in the lower rear apron behind the firewall..... Unfortunately I seem to have deleted pic's of this progress off my phone accidentely.....

Then I trimmed the front edges of the towers off and finished them with some 1/2" tube..... I removed all the front suspension and stripped all the paint off the front of the car..... I welded up some unnecessary holes in the firewall(some of which I made for the previous combo?)..... Since I stripped everything in the front to bare metal I have been chasing surface rust(it's been super humid here lately).....I still have some mods to make around the towers, but today I cleaned up the cowl and firewall area and got some epoxy primer on it(atleast it solves the surface rust issues in these areas).....

Project GatTagO (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 912 Posts

Man, you got skills. When can I bring the Cougar for a quick quarter panel replacement 😜
Old 09-21-2020, 07:57 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Not many guys start out turbo, then go nitrous Franky. But, I get it.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I think Frank just likes the thrill of the build, which I totally understand.

Andrew
Old 09-21-2020, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Wow, I haven't checked in on this build in a while, you have been busy! Last time I saw it there was a turbo 5.3, now it's a nitrous 6.0. Looks amazing! your attention to detail is top notch!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well it looks like I missed a lot. This looks awesome Frank!!!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Man, you got skills. When can I bring the Cougar for a quick quarter panel replacement 😜
Thanks, no such thing as a quick quarter panel replacement.....

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I have been told that I'm not right in the head..... and don't forget from efi back to carb.....

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I think Frank just likes the thrill of the build, which I totally understand.

Andrew
The thrill is slipping away the older I get..... I think working on customs, muscle car and restorations for a living for the last 10 yrs has burned me out on my own stuff some.....

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Wow, I haven't checked in on this build in a while, you have been busy! Last time I saw it there was a turbo 5.3, now it's a nitrous 6.0. Looks amazing! your attention to detail is top notch!
Thanks, and don't forget AC!!!!!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Well it looks like I missed a lot. This looks awesome Frank!!!
Thank you Sir.....
Old 09-27-2020, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A little more progress made.... The entire front frame is in epoxy primer now and I got started on seam sealing today.....

Old 09-27-2020, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Nice build, Frank. I’m surprised you didn’t just eliminate the shock towers all together and go with a Pinto/ Bobcat/ Mustang II style clip or some variation of one .So that perky blue engine just didn’t cut it ? Lol...you change it, good idea, something about a light blue engine. Glad to see you back at it, I hope you get the way you want and go roll a good number (on the track).
G Atsma (09-27-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 64post
Nice build, Frank. I’m surprised you didn’t just eliminate the shock towers all together and go with a Pinto/ Bobcat/ Mustang II style clip or some variation of one .So that perky blue engine just didn’t cut it ? Lol...you change it, good idea, something about a light blue engine. Glad to see you back at it, I hope you get the way you want and go roll a good number (on the track).

Thanks..... I didn't remove the shock towers because I do like to do some racing, and if you remove them it disqualifies the car from some classes(most true street classes do not allow it)..... They do however allow front strut/rack conversions if they are of bolt in nature and commercially available..... My crossmember is AJE and available to anyone.....
Old 10-04-2020, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Over the last couple weekends I seam sealed everything, got some body work done on the firewall and rear aprons, then primed those areas again..... I am not trying to make everything perfectly level, just getting rid of dimples and sharp transitions so it will look decent with paint on it..... Next weekend I will try and get the towers straightened out.....

The following 2 users liked this post by franktf:
Forcefed86 (10-05-2020), Project GatTagO (10-04-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the towers and other minor fill work done and primed those areas again..... Next weekend I will sand everything with 220 the prime again with a med build mix of primer, and hopefully get the black on the outer and bottom areas.....

Old 11-15-2020, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the front end ready for paint about a month ago, masked it up, painted and textured the satin black on all the outside areas..... Then I masked it to paint the inside and top areas, I painted it and to my surprise the color looked teal until direct light was on it, then it was light blue(The color was called aquamarine firemist, the sample was a light blue and showed no signs of teal in off lighting)..... It wasn't a bad color, it just didn't look right with the blue interior color, so I got some new paint that is called true blue firemist..... I sanded it all down, prepped and masked it..... Then I put a sealer coat with the light blue epoxy primer I have, painted and cleared it..... This color I am very happy with.....

i painted it Sat night..... i unmasked it this morning and cleaned up some, I still need to get the lizard skin touched up under the front of the trans tunnel area, where I put exhaust notches in the chassis and exhaust hanger tabs on the rear frame but I wanted to let the paint dry this week..... I did get down the front suspension parts down and started cleaning them up, I put the front k-member back in so i will be able to move the jack stands next week when I take care of the lizard skin..... After that i will get it back on wheels again....

Here are some pics of the progress..... The shop lighting isn't fantastic so the last couple are with some good light to show the color and highlights.....

Old 11-16-2020, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

That’s purty. Too purty to drag. I’d put it on the living room and use it as a conversation piece. But that’s just me LOL
Old 11-17-2020, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you planning to paint the whole car, now?

Kinda reminds me of this:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...averick/page24

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....