Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another PCV question

Hello everyone. I'm almost done with the drivetrain of my ls1 swapped 1978 trans am. I really was just going to delete the pcv system entirely and run breathers but this will be a daily driven car and I don't want oil everywhere or moisture settling in the oil. I don't have any of the original pcv system but I see my valve cover had a pcv valve on the rear driver side valve cover. I bought a new catch can from elite engineering a few months back and im not entirely sure how to run it with the pcv system. I've read dozens of threads but they are not clear enough to me, but if anyone could help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Not even sure where i can mount the can, not alot of room in there! I'm looking for the cleanest and most effective option. Thank you
Old 01-22-2018, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump! Does anyone know if they make a bolt on pcv kit (non ls6 valley cover) for swaps? Thanks

Last edited by moekluse; 01-23-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

This picture might help as far as tube routing goes.

http://ls1howto.com/howto/geniii/ls6...kpcvsystem.jpg

So I have seen some engines come with the PCV value in the rear of the driver side valve cover. During a swap I simply removed the PCV valve and inserted a plastic reducer. Then using a hose I connected the reducer to a plastic Y. Once the tube was split into two using the Y, I connected one part to the rear vent tube of the passenger side valve cover and connected the other part (with PCV value in line) to the front intake manifold port right behind the TB. You can keep that routing the same and add the catch can into the routing in between the PCV value and the intake manifold port behind the TB.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
This picture might help as far as tube routing goes.

http://ls1howto.com/howto/geniii/ls6...kpcvsystem.jpg

So I have seen some engines come with the PCV value in the rear of the driver side valve cover. During a swap I simply removed the PCV valve and inserted a plastic reducer. Then using a hose I connected the reducer to a plastic Y. Once the tube was split into two using the Y, I connected one part to the rear vent tube of the passenger side valve cover and connected the other part (with PCV value in line) to the front intake manifold port right behind the TB. You can keep that routing the same and add the catch can into the routing in between the PCV value and the intake manifold port behind the TB.
I really appreciate it my friend! Thank you so much!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What i just noticed about my valve covers is that there is no passenger side rear port, so I wouldn't need to "Y" the two rear ports. Would it be okay to leave the rear driver side pcv valve there or should I relocate it up front? I don't see a need in doing this but I can always drill out the bottom of the old pcv valve and use it as my fitting. How's my diagram below, okay to run?

one of my mockup motors but same valve covers
Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I don't see why that wouldn't work...
Old 01-23-2018, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

That may work but if your catch can fills up fast one thing you can do is run the clean air to the back and the front passenger port to the catch can.

I was having oil consumption issues running it like you want so here is how I have mine now and works good......

- rear passenger is my clean air from throttle body.
- passenger front goes to catch can.
- I have my pcv valve after the catch can on the return back to the intake.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
That may work but if your catch can fills up fast one thing you can do is run the clean air to the back and the front passenger port to the catch can.

I was having oil consumption issues running it like you want so here is how I have mine now and works good......

- rear passenger is my clean air from throttle body.
- passenger front goes to catch can.
- I have my pcv valve after the catch can on the return back to the intake.

thank you for the info!

Quick Reply: Another PCV question